How to manage a rapid reduction of benzodiazepines

[ev...]

Hello everyone,

I am returning to this site after a number of years because once again I was prescribed benzodiazepines in order to assist in the management of a major depression. The two drugs I was on were Mogadon (highest dose 10mgs) and Ativan (highest dose 1mg). I only took the Ativan for about five weeks. The use of Mogadon has lasted maybe three months and was preceded for about three months by the use of Temazepam (highest dose 10mgs). A few weeks ago I started tapering off Mogadon at a half and then a quarter of a 5mg tablet each week. At this point I am taking 2.5mgs of Mogadon each night. My reduction in Ativan was much more rapid. About two ago the psychiatrist told me to cut the 1mg tablet in half. That dose remained in place until last Tuesday night when it was reduced to a quarter of a tablet. The next day the psychiatrist agreed to my suggestion to stop taking the Ativan altogether. I guess he had to decide whether the awful burning sensations and shaking the drug was causing me against the dangers associated with a rapid withdrawal.

My sleep is quite good at present on 2.5mg of Mogadon and I have managed to maintain a more than acceptable sleep pattern throughout the taper. My reaction to the withdrawal of Ativan is not so good, however; I have had relatively good days but there have been times when I was unwell with a different aching to when I was taking the drug. My shaking has definitely improved considerably in the last few days whilst I have been off the drugs. I would really appreciate some help and support throughout this period of time.

In addition to the Mogadon I am also taking 90mgs of Mitazapine at night, 100mgs of Propanolol both in the morning at night, 200mgs of Epilim both when I get up and when I go to bed and 40mgs of Lexapro in the morning.

I am seeing the psychiatrist tomorrow. So I will update you about what he proposes to do next.

Thanks,

Ivan.

Hi Ivan. Yes, keep us posted about what your psychiatrist says. You have been polydrugged like me, but we will get through. Best wishes.

If your doctor is advising rapid reduction find another doctor. My doctor wanted me to cut from 1 mg xanax to .5 and called that a slow taper. I tried it for two weeks and it put me into acute hell for 5 months.

Keep in mind that five weeks on Ativan is a very short time.  Discuss this with your doctor, but I think you just might be alright with a rapid taper.

I once cold turkeyed Valium after being on it maybe four months, and I didn't even notice that it was gone, except that I had more energy.  If only I had stayed off it then!!