Paroxetine

[Re...]

Is Paroxetine recommendable? My doctor prescibed 20mg daily to me and I felt aweful on the second take. I believe it gave insomnia, loss of appetite, a very tense feeling and a loose stomach. It felt so bad I didn't take anymore until I see my doctor. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks and regars to all!

Paroxetine (also known as Paxil) is a new generation SSRI and is used for depression and anxiety (usually social anxiety). As with most SSRIs it takes about a month or so for full effects to be realized. If you are having GI upsets with it, often taking it with food like a snack is recommended. Like most SSRIs there are usually side effects for the first week or so that generally subside as your body gets used to the drug.

I have never used this particular SSRI, but I do know that not all SSRIs react the same way with every patient. I've had poor results with one and great results with others. Sometimes you simply have to stick with it for a while, find out if it is useful, and if not, your doctor can switch you over to a different one. This is not unusual.

One thing that is important to note is that when you decide to quit taking SSRIs they should be tapered or you could end up with awful SSRI withdrawal. Tapering off of an SSRI is not an overly lengthy process and is dependant upon what dose you are on. The longest I've ever tapered is 2 months and that was after 20 years on high dose Zoloft.  If you find that you are having thoughts of suicide or homicide, please tell your doctor immediately or report to an E.R.  This can sometimes happen with younger patients. As far as your side effects go, it is just a matter of sticking with it for a few weeks and managing them with OTC meds (like anti-nausea meds, anti-diarrhea meds), and allowing your body time to adjust. Using them with food aside from helping reduce the nausea, can also increase their bioavailability by as much as 40%.  If these problems persist past a few weeks, discuss them with your doctor, but don't abruptly stop taking them until you talk with your physician.

I hope that this was helpful.  If you have further questions, check out Drugs.com or other pharmaceutical sites that can give you much more detail information. My only PERSONAL experience with Paxil was a friend of mine who was feeling depressed, anxious and yet aggressive - he found this drug to work quite well for him. Everyone, however, is different, so your experience with it cannot be predicted until you have been on it for at least 1 to 2 months.

Please flush them!! I mean, "consult with your doctor about flushing them." "My opinion is" that a regular doctor, and I know it was a GP that ordered them, shouldn't give you mind altering drugs, it should be in case of emergency and an experienced psychiatrist. If you decide to go that route there are many better options out there.

Please flush them!! I mean, "consult with your doctor about flushing them." "My opinion is" that a regular doctor, and I know it was a GP that ordered them, shouldn't give you mind altering drugs, it should be in case of emergency and an experienced psychiatrist. If you decide to go that route there are many better options out there.

totally agree :thumbsup: