Last chance

[pi...]

I was on .5 mg a day for a year but down to .25 for the last month and taking 8mg of Suboxone. Besides the brain fog I have had serious side effects and I was in the ER a few days ago. Blurry vision, trouble breathing, massive headache and ear pain. Have had serious sinus problems since I cut back a month ago too. I am going cold turkey as of yesterday and I don't know what to expect. My ears and head hurt like hell and my vision is goofy. Ive been sick for a decade and on and off pain meds and surgeries. How long will it take until I feel better? I have all sorts of stomach problems and have Candida so I'm trying to eat right without sugar and things. I just don't know if I can make it. I need to work and Ive burned so many bridges from being so sick. I really need help.

Hello pianoman68,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies from another piano person!  I'm sorry to hear about your past health issues and surgeries, I've gone through three surgeries myself on a very bad shoulder. 

I do have to ask you why you are going cold turkey if you've had some significant withdrawal symptoms after your 50% reduction? That was a huge cut so I'm not surprised you are feeling the effects. I did this myself and ended up going back to my original dose and tapering from there.

A slow taper is the best way to withdrawal from benzos.  Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

You can make it if you read the information provided here and plan a slow and sensible taper. Benzo withdrawal is not a race, slow and steady is the way to go.

How long will it take for you to feel better? That is the question we all have asked, but there is no definitive answer.  Everyone will heal at their own rate. Some people have few severe withdrawal effects and others might have a more challenging time of it. 

You've come to the right place for information and support.  Please continue to ask questions, our members will be happy to share their experience and knowledge with you.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Hi and thanks. I quit 2 days ago because I just thought .25 was low enough even though I did .5 a few times in the last 2 weeks and I really thought I was dying to be honest and had to stop now. When I took the .5mg I felt really bad. I have to perform and sing tonight so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and thanks. I quit 2 days ago because I just thought .25 was low enough even though I did .5 a few times in the last 2 weeks and I really thought I was dying to be honest and had to stop now. When I took the .5mg I felt really bad. I have to perform and sing tonight so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What benzo were you taking?  Benzos are not the same in terms of potency. Valium for instance is less potent then clonazepam.  .5mg of clonazepam is equal to 10mg valium.  If you jumped of a drug like clonazepam (klonopin) at .25, that is equivalent to 5mg valium which IMO is still a high dose to jump from.

Performing during withdrawal can be difficult especially if you are just off. You are in what is called the acute phase where the symptoms can be the strongest. That being said, I did teach throughout the process, although at times it was not easy.  Perhaps the distraction of performing will help you focus less on the withdrawal symptoms. Distraction worked best for me during withdrawal.

PG  :smitten:

Hello, and welcome to a wonderful forum. This site helped me SO much.

I understand your dilemma. You need to put yourself FIRST right now. Whether you continue on cold turkey or resume taking benzos and do a taper is your decision. Do what you think will work best for you.

Benzo withdrawal can be very difficult. And going cold turkey seems to make it worse for some people. Going off benzos abruptly can be dangerous, as seizures can occur. That does not happen often, but often enough to make it a danger.

The acute phase of withdrawal usually lasts a couple weeks. A month but most likely not more than that. Everyone is different in their rate of healing, so no one can tell you exactly when it will end for you!

Let us know how you are doing.

Thanks you! You guys are awesome.  :) I broke down and took .25 of Clonazapam today and yesterday and feel awful. I feel I would have been better not to take anything. Im scared I cant do this much longer. I was off this crap a year and a half ago, felt great but eventually had stomach problems so the doc talked me into going on it again. I knew nothing about benzo belly. Took some Soma and woke 2 hours later freaking out. Ive been "Floxed" recently from chronic sinus infection. 3 doses of antibiotics. Unbelievable.... My doc thinks Im crazy and so do the few friends I have right now. I wonder if I should cut back on the suboxone? Ugh!