Horrible anxiety after stopping antibiotic, klonopin not working

[...]

Has anyone experienced this?  Any comments helpful.  I was on Keflex 500 mg.  4 times a day for 7 days, now off the antibiotic for 2 weeks with horrible anxiety and klonopin and Zoloft seem not to be working at all.  Comments please.

I don't really have an answer for why you are having all this anxiety after completing a course of antibiotics. It could just be coincidence. Your inability to respond to the benzos may be because you have reached a tolerance level with this drug. Eventually you will need to decide if you want to come off of the benzo. Now that you have reached tolerance the only way for it to be effective again is to increase the dose. You will then reach tolerance again, only it will happen much faster next time, and so on.

If you are unable to come off of the benzo right now, what I have done in the past when I was on them was to cut back a bit for a few days up to a week to bring my tolerance thresholds down. Then to resume the original dose. It will be effective for a while until it happens again - could be days, could be weeks. When it happens again, lower the daily dose slightly again, hold, and then resume.

The best course of action, however, is to try and get off of the benzos completely. Once they stop becoming effective it is kind of a sign of things to come. When you do decide to quit them, please read all the literature on this site carefully and do not quit cold turkey. You can quit benzos, but it has to be done extremely slowly and carefully over a long period of time. If you were to microtaper, for instance, it may take a year or two, but you will be reasonably comfortable during the process and you won't risk ending up with a permanent or protracted withdrawal syndrome (meaning feeling strong withdrawal symptoms for years after you quit and possibly for the rest of your life).

Best wishes.  I would read all the literature on this site, especially the work of Dr. Ashton. This may help you make an informed decision regarding your future with benzos and whether you want that future to include them in it or not.

I'm sorry, I should have updated my meds.  I've been on 3/4 of 1 mg. of klonopin and 100 mg. of Zoloft for quite some time now and I've been feeling fine with that. The problem was caused by the Keflex. That's what I don't understand.  It took away the benefits of the meds and now I'm so anxious.

Give it some time Mini. Maybe somehow the Keflex interfered with the absorption of one or both of the drugs. If this persists, please speak to your doctor about it and get more definitive answers. I know that most people think that antibiotics are innocuous, but depending on how you take them and what class they are in, they can interfere with other medications. Usually, however, this is while you are actually taking them, which is why you are as puzzled about this as I am. Best to ask your doc and get some solid answers if this doesn't get better soon.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs ... NewMoon