UK press coverage - 21st July 2018

[Qu...]

This Dr. Andrea Cipriani, who seems critical of AD's here, is the same person who is the lead author of the AD Meta-analysis published in February, who said this: 

"The debate over antidepressants has unfortunately often been ideological, said Cipriani. Some doctors and patients have doubts over whether they work at all and point to the big placebo effect – in trials, those given dummy pills also improve to some degree."

and this:

“Antidepressants are an effective tool for depression. Untreated depression is a huge problem because of the burden to society,” said Andrea Cipriani of the NIHR Oxford Health Biomedical Research Centre, who led the study.

This study resulted in media coverage worldwide that: "The drugs do work:  antidepressants are effective, study shows":

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/21/the-drugs-do-work-antidepressants-are-effective-study-shows

And in the above study, it says this:  "Antidepressants work better than placebo – but some work better than others"

In the Daily Mail article it says this:  Two years ago Dr Cipriani carried out an overview of 34 trials, which discovered that apart from antidepressant Prozac, none treated both adults and children any better than a placebo.

???  I am confused.  What is her deal?

Thank you for posting QOS.  Nevertheless, terrible news.

Trying to keep up with media coverage today ... The Times and the Daily Mail articles are in my blog.

https://nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/2018/07/21/teenager-prescribed-antidepressants-ayrshire/

Have been listening to a dreadful discussion on LBC radio .. it starts about an hour into the programme.

Basically promoting the benefits of antidepressants without any mention of dependence, withdrawal or iatrogenic harm.

Just dreadful .. and the myth of the chemical imbalance and comparison with insulin for diabetes.  Dreadful 

Programme not available in Canada/US.  Sorry.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/aod/?episodeId=6ad50b64-d0d8-48be-9c8f-e92dc538e234

Please see my Twitter feed.  Presenter Ian Payne totally dismissed my Tweet out of hand and dismissed other callers as well.

Cipriani and Pariante have changed their tune considerably due to our campaign ..since the publication of the Lancet meta-analysis.  They are now being more balanced in their views.  They are perhaps distancing themselves from the Royal College of Psychiatrists.  Complaint re RCPsych has now gone to Secretary of State for Health.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/07/30-mental-health-experts-write-secretary-state-unprofessional-conduct-uk-royal-college-psychiatry/

Benzohno - That is a misprint in the Daily Mail .. it should read children and adolescents.

Hope this all makes sense.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Okay, that answers that!  Thank you Fiona.  Makes sense to me now.  I'll take a look at the links after I calm down.  You and the campaigners are doing a great job.  Things are shifting.

Okay, that answers that!  Thank you Fiona.  Makes sense to me now.  I'll take a look at the links after I calm down.  You and the campaigners are doing a great job.  Things are shifting.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just been advised that radio programme is not available overseas.  That is a pity. 

Re lookingforward:

"I wonder if you could change the title of the thread - to UK press coverage - 21st July 2018"

Fiona - done that!  :) QOS

Oh good grief Fiona, there's an awful lot going on there in the UK today.  I had a look at your blog, read the articles.  There are so many all at once!  Can't access the Times ones without a subscription, but that's okay, I get the drift.  Much negative press around AD's all once, which is great and much biased misinformation from Ian Payne who loves his AD's.  He is a huge Pain and not open to others' reality.  He is not the right person for the job he is doing, but he is only one person.  Still, how annoying can one person be?  I think the public won't be fooled after reading the most recent avalanche of bad press.  You've all certainly got your work cut out for you atm.  Alyne Duthie is right, "Ian Payne is too immersed in his own biased opinion to consider there might be a counter argument, one with considerable validity. Based on real experiences from patients who've suffered from depression themselves."So frustrating. 

Also glad to see the pressure is mounting on RPsych by taking the complaint higher up to Secretary of State for Health. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re lookingforward:

"I wonder if you could change the title of the thread - to UK press coverage - 21st July 2018"

Fiona - done that!  :) QOS

Thank you.  :thumbsup:

Oh good grief Fiona, there's an awful lot going on there in the UK today.  I had a look at your blog, read the articles.  There are so many all at once!  Can't access the Times ones without a subscription, but that's okay, I get the drift.  Much negative press around AD's all once, which is great and much biased misinformation from Ian Payne who loves his AD's.  He is a huge Pain and not open to others' reality.  He is not the right person for the job he is doing, but he is only one person.  Still, how annoying can one person be?  I think the public won't be fooled after reading the most recent avalanche of bad press.  You've all certainly got your work cut out for you atm.  Alyne Duthie is right, "Ian Payne is too immersed in his own biased opinion to consider there might be a counter argument, one with considerable validity. Based on real experiences from patients who've suffered from depression themselves."So frustrating. 

Also glad to see the pressure is mounting on RPsych by taking the complaint higher up to Secretary of State for Health. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We are now suspecting that the radio programme was orchestrated ...  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I am submitting a formal complaint ..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't understand how being a "Sports Correspondent" even qualifies him to lead a "conversation" on AD's.  And it sounds like it wasn't a conversation at all.

Good.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't understand how being a "Sports Correspondent" even qualifies him to lead a "conversation" on AD's.  And it sounds like it wasn't a conversation at all.

It was driven by his own diagnosis of BPD, his own beliefs and experiences.  But he clearly had an agenda ...

He definitely had his own agenda.

I think LBC has a moral obligation to now present the other side of the story.  Lives are at stake. 

OMG, that's horrible to read how that "conversation" went down.  Makes me very angry.  I hope the radio station reads your letter, hears and understands what you are saying.  As far as I am concerned, it is their duty to follow up with a real conversation about antidepressants, based on facts.  Like you said in your tweet, that guy didn't "lead" a conversation, he "controlled" it. 

After that Cipriani meta-analysis in the Lancet was also regurgitated with that title and message that "The drugs do work--antidepressants are effective", on the CBC radio and online, it took awhile, but remember Dr. Brian Goldman eventually followed up on air and online with the other side of the story.  I'm hoping for the same here. 

BTW, it's too early for any details on what's behind this, but we had a mass shooting last night in Toronto:  http://www.cbc.ca/news