Sleeping drug free!

[Sl...]

I have been taking sleep aids for the last 20 years; benzos for the last 8- both Ambien and more recently Restoril. These medications no longer work for me, but I am TERRIFIED to get off them. I have begun tapering from 15mg to 7.5. So far so good.

Hello Sleepinggirl :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

I know how scary this is for you, I tapered diazepam after 26 years. I reached tolerance level, which develops with regular use.  The original dose of the drug has progressively less effect and a higher dose is required to obtain the original effect.  I was petrified but desperate to get off them.  We are all scared at the thought of life without these drugs. I can promise you it gets better, best thing I ever did.  Benzodiazepines should be tapered slowly.  Ambien although not a benzo, needs tapering in the same manner.

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Insomnia 

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

I understand - completely. I began taking benzos because of long term issues with insomnia. I took those darn drugs for 30 years. And they did work for me but at such a huge price. Getting off benzos is the hardest thing I have ever done. Learning how to sleep normally was difficult for me. What has helped me - and still does - listening to sleep hypnosis videos on YouTube. Those videos really help me and I always listen to them, even now.

Ambien is VERY similar to true benzos. It acts on the same parts of the brain and has the same sort of withdrawal. I took Ambien for man years, and went off it cold turkey like I did the Klonapin.

Yu can get through this.

Keep sharing and read everything you can about withdrawal. Knowledge will help you a lot.