It's been 6 moths and I'm still have frequent urination

[Zi...]

Hi, I've been off of Xanax since January. I feel normal in almost every other way but I still have really frequent urination at certain points of the day.sometimes i pee 8 or 9 times before noon. It's much better than when I was going through withdrawal and I was peeing constantly. Has anyone else experienced this after withdrawal?

It comes and go for me. Towards the end of my taper it lasted for a week or so. It got to the point where I thought I had a UTI. Then about a week after I jumped. It lasted a week then also. I’m at 4 weeks off.

I mostly have this at night. During the day it isn't to bad but the minute I lay down to sleep katy bar the door because then I have to go every 15 minutes. I have timed it. I hope this stops soon.

I believe that in some cases the benzo withdrawal leaves people with hyper-stimulated nervous systems as things re-stabilize. It is not uncommon for people to have irritable bladder syndrome where you are urinating frequently. If you cannot ride this out, there are medications that can calm the bladder down a bit. Unless you are female and either peri- or post- menopausal, it is not likely that this is a hormonal flux issue, which happens around and during menopause. Over-active bladder is very annoying and some people actually restrict their activities because of it. There are also natural products that help, so you can also check these out online if you are not keen about taking more medications. Other than this, there are products on the market to prevent embarrassing accidents, which you may have to use. There are those tampon-like products that can be inserted into the vagina that cut down on leaks and help you hold longer, but check with your doctor first to make sure there isn't anything else going on. You can also do exercises that strengthen your pelvic floor (I think they're called Kegel exercises) and may also help you hold it in better. The big danger here is that you start restricting your fluid intake, which is never a very healthy idea. I sincerely would discuss all of this with your doctor for a check up and interim methods to deal with this annoying issue.

Thanks guys. I'm just glad to know it's normal-ish to still be having symptoms. I've never posted before but this site was a godsend when I was really going through it. Just knowing that the crazy, unexpected symptoms I was experiencing were normal withdrawal symptoms helped my peace of mind so much.

Luckily mine doesn't happen every night but like tonight I am having bad tremors so yep here we go again. I do drink a lot of fluids which probably doesn't help but I feel like I need to stay hydrated. I am past menapause so that is not an issue and I was just checked by a doctor and all was normal. No bladder infections or nothing like that. I think it is from tension. Like maybe we are not going all the way or something when we go. I don't know but it is annoying to say the least. I don't have to wear depends thank goodness at least not yet anyway. I might look into some of those over the counter things available. I hope this goes away for us soon. Always something isn't it.

Annie: If you are post-menopausal your symptoms may be the result of vaginal atrophy for which there are effective treatments. You may need a bit of hormone therapy (localized therapy) a few times a week. Please check this out with your doctor before the issue gets worse. You want to rule out the post menopausal issues and not assume it is all post-withdrawal. If you nip this in the bud, it will save you a LOT of grief in the future. I speak from personal experience. My issues got so bad that it felt like I had a constant urinary tract infection - pain, burning, frequent urination, constant burning all the time. Turns out it was all because of loss of hormones. It has been a long road back, but things are turning around for me. Whenever I come across post menopausal women complaining of urinary symptoms I always sound the alarm. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I did.