Taper or maintain?

[Ma...]

I have been on Xanax for at least 7 years  I am not even sure any more exactly where Io have been in terms of dosage somewhere between.5 and 1 per day Though it has been 1 for quite awhile I originally got on for mild generalized anxiety and an acid reflux condition called LPR Looking back at the moment it all seems like a big mistake Recently I had a kidney stone that lasted for months. ,and i was on heavy painkillers for months until a week ago My brain feels fried at the moment. I had some troublesome brain symptoms before the kidney stone thing Mostly a little issue with repetitive music in my head and then some kind d of narrative voice thing in my head when waking up at night and trying to go back to sleep. I am pretty torn tin trying to be a bit aggressive in tapering down, but maybe i should just maintain 1mg per day and stabilize a bit?

Hello MattNapa,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies. To be honest, the symptoms you are talking about such as repetitive music in your head and sleep issues are very common both when a person reaches tolerance and during withdrawal from benzos. Tolerance is where the original dose is no longer effective requiring increases. 

You might stabilize or not, it's hard to say. Your dosage has been inconsistent so perhaps maintaining the 1mg dose for while would help while you read about the best way to taper off drugs like xanax.

Since you've taken xanax for many years it's important to taper slowly to allow your body to adjust to the reduction of the 'calming' medication.  Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

We'll be happy to support and encourage you through the withdrawal process. It can be challenging but with a sensible taper plan it is doable and worthwhile. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

pianogirl Thank you for the help. As it is for many who come here, I am bit daunted by my situation. I have a phone conversation with my naturopathic doctor, and am going to take this up with her. I am a bit petrified of even knowing some things at this point. Questions like; How many people have seizures that taper slowly? Are there known high risk populations for seizures? Are seizures the main risk? So I am not necessarily asking those questions, but rather asking about asking them I know this perhaps puts you in a difficult spot, and I apologize

I should add that there is a hopeful side I assume there is some chance some things can get better. The voice in the head phenomenon, or repetitive thoughts has been disturbing and not something I clearly knew was related to Xanax.

Also I would like to say I never hear a doctor warn me of the withdrawal dangers associated with this drug Yes several said it was addictive and they did not recommend continued use, but that does not seem synonymous with dangerous withdrawal symptoms Maybe its my fault for not reading between the lines, but I would hope that I would never got myself in this positron if I had understood more clearly. I do not want harbor bitterness about it, but I do want to make the point that this specific warning may not be getting through the professional channels properly

I have also been a regular Marijuana smoker forever I have quit several times sometimes for years, and would quit again though it can profoundly disrupt my sleep and not sure if I should combine withdrawals.

pianogirl Thank you for the help. As it is for many who come here, I am bit daunted by my situation. I have a phone conversation with my naturopathic doctor, and am going to take this up with her. I am a bit petrified of even knowing some things at this point. Questions like; How many people have seizures that taper slowly? Are there known high risk populations for seizures? Are seizures the main risk? So I am not necessarily asking those questions, but rather asking about asking them I know this perhaps puts you in a difficult spot, and I apologize

I should add that there is a hopeful side I assume there is some chance some things can get better. The voice in the head phenomenon, or repetitive thoughts has been disturbing and not something I clearly knew was related to Xanax.

Also I would like to say I never hear a doctor warn me of the withdrawal dangers associated with this drug Yes several said it was addictive and they did not recommend continued use, but that does not seem synonymous with dangerous withdrawal symptoms Maybe its my fault for not reading between the lines, but I would hope that I would never got myself in this positron if I had understood more clearly. I do not want harbor bitterness about it, but I do want to make the point that this specific warning may not be getting through the professional channels properly

Hello Matt Napa,

There is really no risk of seizure if you implement a slow and sensible taper plan.  Seizures are a risk if someone stops taking a high dose of benzos suddenly, which you are not.  Literature does mention seizure risk, so you might have read this somewhere. However, this is an issue when someone stops cold turkey. Even then, many people do not experience a seizure. I stopped ativan cold turkey for a medical procedure (as directed by my doctor) and although I was terribly ill I didn't have a seizure.

Many of us are frustrated that we didn't receive adequate information about benzos from our doctors. My doctor said I would not become addicted because I don't have an addictive personality.  Benzos create a physical dependence because of the chemical changes they make to the central nervous system. It's not an addiction. The medical community needs to address the issue of benzos and it's very late in coming.  The best we can do is to be what I call a 'reasonable voice' and speak up about this problem. I have ever since I studied about these types of drugs, experienced a life challenging withdrawal and decided to be proactive about this issue.

PG  :smitten:

hi again pianogirl _ I want to continue to express my appreciation personally, and in the larger sense of helping others, for the work you have and the dedication you have to this effort. I want to make it a bit clearer that when I talked about maintaining a 1mg for awhile it under the idea that in the last 3 months I was definitely just slightly above 1mg for the first 2 months and the last month or so with somewhat wild and unpredictable amounts Maybe 3 mg on a couple of days. It is hard for me to say what  the average was since the prescription was changed and I just lost track of things So that is why I believe maybe I should just stay at 1 mg for maybe another week. Or maybe even up slightly for 10 days the sound sensitivity remains  more than before which makes me think maybe 1 is too low. confused.And as I stated earlier I got a little whacked when I tried.5 for two consecutive nights.

Today and last night I have having a mildly bad time I had a poor nights sleep last night, though not horrible. And today kind of obsessed with just thinking about it all.

I also would like to mention I am sort of a amateur health information organizer, and have a large list of health information resources on a website. I never get why communities do not work in a grassroots manner to engage in health issue discussions and informational formats I mention this patially because I have already seen a few things that seem interesting in terms of Benzo withdrawal, but I do not want to post anything improper. The one I have seen that seems particularly interesting is a supplement that is available from more than one supplier is a kind of generic substance I suppose.  Maybe PM if there are restrictions on this kind of thing. Thanks

I have already seen a few things that seem interesting in terms of Benzo withdrawal, but I do not want to post anything improper. The one I have seen that seems particularly interesting is a supplement that is available from more than one supplier is a kind of generic substance I suppose.  Maybe PM if there are restrictions on this kind of thing. Thanks

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the kind words, everyone on the BB team here wishes to give back to the place that provided so much support and encouragement through a difficult withdrawal.

Supplements are tricky. Many people find they actually cause their withdrawal symptoms to increase in severity. Frankly, there is no supplement that will 'heal' one from benzo withdrawal.  Benzos down regulate the GABA receptors in the brain.  Supplements, or at least the ones I've heard of, don't cross the blood/brain barrier.  Time is the real healer. The central nervous system wants to return to balance and will work toward that goal.

You might also take a look at the forum rules and guidelines.  We don't allow taper or medical advice through the PM system.  PM's are meant for support and encouragement, friendly chit chat and such.

You can post comments and questions about supplements on the Alternative Therapies Board. 

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

PG  :smitten:

Hi Again Hopefully the last question in the intro section I have really been struggling the last couple of days My BP has been skyrocketing, so I will hopefully see my GP soon for blood pressure medication. I am not sure if  there is anyone who can give me an idea on what BP meds work well with withdrawal. I was relatively OK until the last 4 or 5 days and now things seem already out of control I am of course concerned just learning the truth about withdrawal has thrown me into a bit of a storm. I hate to go up from one per day but with the BP and the idea that you are suppose to start your withdrawal from a comfortable dose it is starting to seem necessary