Another newbie, but learning fast

[te...]

Hi all, I hope that this is allowed: I'm here in a support capacity for my husband, who has been on Klonopin for probably 13 years or so. 

He originally did a taper in 2009 (immediately before I met him) and was on just a fraction of a mg, but had to reinstate at that time due to withdrawal side effects.  In 2016, he started to taper again (slowly, over a series of months to years) and made it from 1.5mg to 0.5mg by November 2017.  He held at that Klonopin dose for a period of time but began a taper on Lamictal for a few months in early 2018.  Again, due to withdrawal side effects, he had to reinstate Klonopin and went back to 1.0mg in April, and 1.5mg in June of this year. 

In late June 2018, he was hospitalized in a behavioral health unit for what was diagnosed as extreme acute anxiety and at that time was given Gabapentin (600mg tid).  That has helped him regain a level of day to day functioning that was missing immediately prior to his hospitalization, but he is noticing the return of what sound suspiciously like Klonopin withdrawal symptoms, including anxiety, burning skin, hyperaccusis and severe gas that prevents him from sleeping. 

We both feel that the Gabapentin is essentially masking any residual benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms.  Our concern, and what I'm hoping to be able to get anecdotal experiences about, is that the Gabapentin will lose efficacy over time and put him symptomatically back where he was before.  We are also concerned that because he was not able to successfully taper that his reinstatement means that he is in a state of perpetual withdrawal. 

I'm hoping to hear from people who have had long-term efficacy with Gabapentin/Neurontin and/or those who have reinstated and had their withdrawal symptoms abate, even if it took a few months.  I'm happy to share more details about his symptoms if that helps.  My thought is that his CNS is tender, and that maybe he just needs more time to heal, but I welcome the opinions of those much wiser than I am (you guys!).

I'm new to all of this, but I'm learning quickly and I have immense respect for anyone who undergoes this torture.  You are all made of much stronger mettle than I am, and truly I just want to be able to provide the support to my husband that he needs and deserves.  I want him to live his best life, and I am incredibly appreciative of your willingness to share your stories and support with me.  Thank you in advance.

Hi teachingtheteacher :hug:  Welcome to the forum.

We are always very pleased to welcome new members supporting close ones going through withdrawal.  I thank you sincerely on joining for advice and support for your husband.  Is your husband off the Klonopin?  It can take a long time for withdrawal symptoms to settle, The gabapentin is possibly masking symptoms. Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, It is suggested cutting between 5% and 10% of the daily dose every 10 - 14 days.   

I don't have any personal experience with Gabapentin, I know its  not easy to get off, it will need to be tapered in a similar fashion to benzo tapering.

Here is a link to a members thread discussing withdrawal from Gabapentin:

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

I would also recommend that you have a read through The Ashton Manual,  It is a valuable resource and outlines some of what one might experience in benzodiazepine withdrawal.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Family Members / Partners Support Thread

Please create a signature line listing the medication and dose. Members can respond best if they know your husbands medication history. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then chooseforum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Welcome Teaching,

"My thought is that his CNS is tender, and that maybe he just needs more time to heal..." That is the perfect attitude to keep courageous and hopeful!  :thumbsup:.

I too have a loving supportive wife who has been there through thick and thin for me. Never discount your value in your husband's final success- he won't.

Peace,

Eutychus

I have not personally been on gabapentin but I am considering asking for it.

My father has been on gabapentin 1800mg for about 10 years. Unfortunately, he does feel that it is losing its effect (though he is using it for neurological pain and RLS) after so many years. He has tapered (slowly) his use down to 900mg nightly with no ill effect. I know that some people have a hard time getting off gabapentin, saying that it's just as bad as benzo withdrawal but it's been a godsend to others.

I can't say for certain whether his withdrawal-like symptoms are due to the benzos or gabapentin but if I'm reading this correctly and he was taken off the benzos in June and had them replaced with the gabapentin then I'd bet it's the benzo withdrawal that is affecting him currently.

Some good info about how gabapentin works here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=131645.0

And a success story here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=70710.0

There are many, many more threads regarding gabapentin here with vastly differing opinions

Personally, I do not feel that it would be a viable lifetime solution but I say it's worth a shot short term.

Hi all, first off thank you so sincerely for not only welcoming me and my naivety but for your responses, suggestions and encouragement.  Some days it's all just a little bit overwhelming, and I feel like I'm not sure I actually know what I'm doing at all.  Let me try to answer some of your questions and clarify below, and I will take the time to make a signature and add his medication history later tonight or tomorrow. 

My husband started a taper of Klonopin but was never successful in fully discontinuing the medication.  His most recent Klonopin history was:

--0.75 mg/day in fall 2017

--1.0 mg/day in November 2017

--1.5 mg/day in April 2018

--2.0 mg for a four day period in June 2018 for acute anxiety (immediately prior to hospitalization)

--1.5 mg/day starting in late June 2018

I have read the Ashton manual, and in fact I've even tried reaching out to the Institute of Neuroscience at Newcastle to see if anyone has picked up the torch after she retired (nope) as well as several other researchers, coalitions, etc to see if anyone can give us guidance (also nope).

I'm trying to keep a "daily progress monitor", where I can watch to see patterns in his symptoms (what they are, when they occur) to look for windows and waves, or to see if anything could be related to interdose issues (ie does he get really despondent and depressed immediately prior to a Gabapentin dose and is it reversed to a "happy" state immediately after taking it?).  I feel like I'm frantically Googling anything and everything and coming up short of answers and solutions.  Thank you so much to all of you for your willingness to share your thoughts, experiences and wisdom.