Can i ever get off Klonopin?

[Et...]

I have such bad anxiety, and while trying different SSRI's/SNRI's, the only thing that's every helped are benzos. My goal is to get off the Klonopin and to find other ways of coping with the anxiety. I'm so terrified of increased panic and anxiety while tapering. My anxiety is not under control right now, but I have a feeling it's because I get withdrawl in between doses of not taking klonopin and I'm tolerant to the 2MG. Unfortunately, klonopin is what makes me feel most normal. It takes away a lot of my physical and mental anguish. Has anyone else been in this situation and withdrew from klonopin successfully? I want my normal brain back! I'm willing to exercise, eat health, take vitamins, etc... whatever it takes to get my life back.

It's very possible that your anxiety or at least some of it, is being caused by the klonopin.  I would advise tapering down VERY VERY SLOWLY.  Do not rush this. 

You are right. I don't care how long it takes (even if it's a year). Today I shave a tiny itty bitty bit off my 1MG pill. I will do this everyday for a week and hold there for a few weeks. Any coping techniques you recommend?

My advice is to read about micro-tapering in the Support Groups. If your physician feels comfortable prescribing for as long as you need the K, I'd go that route. You can read about titration plans. As GreenCup says, go VERY, VERY SLOWLY. The reason is you want your CNS to be able to withstand the tapering and to live a decent life while tapering. Rushing, thinking that getting rid of the benzo as soon as possible , is a common mistake. IMO, it is NOT the way to go. Micro-tapering may take more than a year or two. You may have periods where you have to hold the dose where you're at to get stable. Who cares? You're thinking of your health and well-being.

The reason I'm saying all this is that, were I back where you are now, I would have chosen that method. I was really naive about benzos. I c/t'd .5 mg. of Ativan before I switched to Klonopin (didn't know I was tolerant on 1 mg. Ativan because I was taking it sporadically), and I went too quickly off the Klonopin. Many people in the protracted area of the forum have either tapered too quickly or have done a c/t. I'm not saying that everyone ends up this way, but some people do, and there's no telling who will end up that way. There is, unfortunately, no genetic test to find out who is susceptible to this, and there could be other things causing this. Kindling, for instance. 

I agree with GreenCup that the K can be causing the anxiety. As you said, you're tolerant on 2 mg. But if you slowly taper down, I think you'll stabilize.

Sorry for the long post, and GOOD LUCK to you!!!

Good advice from Green Cup. I'm adding learn all you can now-use this awesome forum and google You Tubes of benzo withdrawal expert Dr. Heather Ashton. And get going with trying other ways to handle your anxiety issues ASAP! You're not gonna get out of this without paying a price but you can make it easier and more rewarding.

be brave,

stasia

8)

ps. I lost years of fun times by not tapering slowly enough, like you have the chance to now. I wouldn't do anything every day, maybe not even cutting every week...

Hi. I completely understand the panic and anxiety and basically torture that you live with when coming off klonopin. I quit Once by tapering, relapsed and quit the second time by cold turkey.

I just want to tell you it gets better. To be honest I know it's hard right now, but I've been in that space, that feeling of being almost vulnerable or exposed when you have to go without the doses. But you are doing great and it will get better. Your brain is fighting hard when you let go of the pills. Mine did and still does...

But it gets better every day. I agree with the others on this thread. Having done it both ways, please don't cold turkey. I had to put of necessity and it was torture....