Quitting Xanax NOT addicted just want to be free and I am soooo scared

[Ma...]

Hello I have been on Xanax for almost a year I’m prescribed 0.5mg I take 2 in the day and 2 at night my anxiety got to the point I was taking 2 and a half in the morning and 2 and a half at night i DIDNT know this medication had these kind of withdrawal effects I am TERRIFIED about tapering but I kno it’s somthing i have to do I decided to get off of this medication because I ran out and I went 3 days without anything and my body started to feel weird extremely bad diarrhea/ nausea/brain fog/muscle pain/ my feet and arms even had a weird feeling so I went to the ER I knew it was my body withdrawing so the dr gave me enough pills to last me until I get my refill I am going to schedule me an appointment with my dr and I’m praying he’s going to tapper me slowly I’m so scared so i joined this community in hope of seeing other people’s stories and gaining hope and confidence because of those 3 day was bad I can only imagine what I’m in for but I was also on NOTHING and I didn’t kno cold turkey could be fatal at the time PEOPLE NEED TONKNOW THESE THINGS DOCTORS SHOULD INFORM THEIR PATIENTS THE EFFECTS OF QUITTING BENZOS not just a harmless little (it could be habit forming)

Hello Mamabear29 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

I am glad you joined the forum. I know its scary,but you are going to be okay, you can do this!  Many of us arrive here having not been informed of the addictive nature of benzodiazepines.  It doesn’t take long for the body to become dependent on these drugs.  I am glad that you have decided to taper off, you will get plenty of support here.  You could copy some pertinent pages from the Ashton to take with you on your visit with the doctor.

Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb, you can go slower, whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.BenzoBuddies Community Forum Homepage

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

HI MamaBear (too funny as that is what I call myself),

So you learned the hard way....  well Thank God you now know about tapering.  I did not know about tapering guidelines and did suffer horribly but I really do believe that if you are prepared; it doesn't need to be as bad as what I went through (still have symptoms but in a window right now).  So - you have reinstated and need to be stable (not 100% but at your baseline) and then proceed accordingly knowing that you will be uncomfortable but what is waiting for you on the other side is SO worth it!  Stay strong and let people you care about know what your going to do and you will be fine.  We are here for you if anything comes up that you don't think is tolerable.  This support group saved me.

can you elaborate on your acute withdrawal? Like so for the first 3 weeks it was as nothing happened then bam? what happened and how are you "healing"? Thanks!

can you elaborate on your acute withdrawal? Like so for the first 3 weeks it was as nothing happened then bam? what happened and how are you "healing"? Thanks!

Sure! My acute withdrawal started the day I started tapering because I had already hit tolerance.  The tolerance had me raging and then sedating for the better part of a year with bladder pain and ear aches.  By the second day of Acute Withdrawal I was in bed and was unable to anything until the end of Week 4.  Someone else said this and I can totally relate: it would be easier to list the symptoms that I did NOT have as opposed to did.  I did not have digestion issues that hurt.  That it is it.  I had (and still have as I am getting them back right now) horrible aches through out my body that feel like my bones are cutting into my insides, extreme tightness such that I was in a locked position, muscle spasms that I videoed that look like I am being electrocuted, fatigue to the point of being unable to lift my head, pounding headache that was like it was going to explode (not kidding), difficulty breathing and swallowing and the list goes on....  How do I know that I am healing? Well I am typing now after going for a Jeep ride and I actually did some laundry today.  The body shocks have gone away so that I can go out in public but they come back if I push myself.  And the best thing about this (from someone who used to value tennis more than friendships while I was on Benzos) is that I feel connected to the world in a peaceful way.  I could focus on being a shadow of my former self but instead I am concentrating on feeling the wind, seeing the beautiful colors and TASTING my food.  Hope that answers how I am healing.  How are you doing?

I would like to think i'm doing okay, but havn't tapered off of it. Just dosing down. If I feel like I need a xanax, I just take a little as possible in order to make the symptoms go away. I'll just do this until I'm off of it I guess? Also trying to lay off the drinking, which i've had progress. I've been kind of letting myself withdrawal some before I take more, just not to the point where it's agony.