Two months on benzos and trying to get off - switched to Valium

[Bu...]

You can see by my signature how I landed here.  I’m definitely stabilizing on 12.5 mg of Valium and looking for any advice on tapering. I’m two months into this process after only 2.5 weeks on benzos.  I want my taper to be successful and looking for guidance.  I’m very scared about th first cut and wondering what people think cutting weekly or every two weeks. I’m very new to all this.

You can see by my signature how I landed here.  I’m definitely stabilizing on 12.5 mg of Valium and looking for any advice on tapering. I’m two months into this process after only 2.5 weeks on benzos.  I want my taper to be successful and looking for guidance. I’m very scared about th first cut and wondering what people think cutting weekly or every two weeks. I’m very new to all this.

Cut&hold is difficult, no matter how long you hold.  Its the cut that causes WD sxs.  The hold is just the time you give yourself to recover from the damage caused by the cut.

A daily taper is much more tolerable.

How do I go about a daily taper?  Sorry. I’m very new to this. Thanks for responding.

You can do a daily taper either with a gram scale to measure out small quantities of your V,m or you can use liquid.  Liquid is easier.  If you have a cooprerative doc that will write you a scrip, there is an Rx liquid V (best way), or you can make your own liquid by dissolviing your tablet(s) in a tiny amount of vodka or propylene glycol, and then diluting it with water.

Since you have only been on benzos for a short time, you might start with 1 mg/14 day (8%/14 day)  taper.  If you do C&H, that would be a 1 mg cut, and hold for 2 weeks.  If you do a microtaper, that would be .07mg/day cut. 

Trust me, its much easier to cut .07mg per day than it is to do a one time 1mg cut.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. Would that be .07 daily cut the whole way down until I would be done?  Did you find you had to hold with daily cuts? 

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. Would that be .07 daily cut the whole way down until I would be done?  Did you find you had to hold with daily cuts?

With a daily taper, any sxs that might emerge will come on gradually, so if you need to hold or slow your taper, you will have enough "warning" in time to make any needed changes.

I was fully functional during my taper.  I worked every day (I own my own business).  I occasionally had mild headaches (tylenol fixed) and occasional sleep issues (small dose of antihistamine fixed)

This is very helpful and impressive of you to run your own business throughout the taper. I’ve had to take two weeks off work because  the Ativan withdrawals were so bad before I jumped to Valium.  Did you feel drowsy on Valium?  I’m at 12.5 mg and find myself yawning quite a bit throughout the day and just sort of flat, but my appetite has started to return. I’m on day 7 or 12.5 mg. Is there a window where you’re still figuring out the dose and can drop a little bit or is it better just to remain and then drop when I begin my taper. I was thinking of starting my taper on day 14?