Isolation on my birthday

[ne...]

I am 33 today. For the past two years, I have had to leave early from nearly every social event I have attended. My social anxiety is pretty extreme. So for the past year, I have isolated myself and gotten off of a few psychoactive medications. I figured I am not functioning on them so what's the point? I just don't want anyone to see me right now. This feeling will only got worse if I keep feeding it. So tonight I am going to dinner with my family. Has anyone successfully conquered agoraphobia?

Happy Birthday!  Did you have agoraphobia before benzos?  Or was it something that came with withdrawal. I actually had agoraphobia before and while on benzos, but it went away somewhat while I tried zoloft, and then has gotten less and less during my taper. 

Happy Birthday!  I had agoraphobia in the first 6 months of my withdrawal, wild horses couldn't drag me to social events.  I understand exactly how you feel, I didn't want to see anyone either, and mere conversations with family members were exhausting and would rev me up.  What you need right now is peace and quiet and time to yourself, so you can heal.  There's no magic fix to conquer agoraphobia, for me it went away on its own.  I still get days when I don't want to leave the house or be around anyone, but not as often.  If going to birthday dinner causes you so much stress and discomfort, I would politely decline or postpone for a later date.

Hey! Thank you for the birthday wishes! The isolation began 2 years ago. Around the same time that I started having flashbacks. I am seeing a therapist. 

My psychiatrist prescribed Paxil.

Happy birthday mine was last week I know how much it sucks when you are in withdrawal I'm so sorry but you will get better and have many more awesome birthdays to celebrate when you are healed and well I promise

Happy birthday. The agoraphobia will go I promise. It did for me and I really didn't see anyone outside my office for months and months and months. Now i go to dinner parties etc and make jokes and almost enjoy it. Its back to regular old familiar social anxiety.

[a6...]

I was just talking about agoraphobia (the fear of freakin everything) in other threads.

ive had it reeeeally bad, like i had it before i even tapered, in tolerance. i had no idea what was wrong with me i thought it was lingering anxiety after alcohol withdrawal. i couldnt go to restaurants, to movies, and eventually i could barely talk to a person without feeling that awful phobic wana collapse or run away feeling, and i get all woozy and whacked out.

its awful

HOWEVER - it is finally starting to subside. another day struggling at work and i noticed when i was chatting with someone who caught me in the aisle i actually wasnt freaking out, it was considerably better than a few months ago.

if it can subside for me, it will for you

Happy happy birthday!!!

:happybday: :happybday: :happybday:

I have suffered from a PTSD, got special therapy. Its over now. No flashbacks any more.

Of course, while going through withdrawals (I had to do some more) the old stuff kept coming up.

My therapy was behavioral so I trained a lot of strategies. These helped me a lot in withdrawal (and life later).

I am now 2 years med-free after being polydrugged.

PTSD is totally gone.

Withdrawal has left some symptoms but I am ME again.

I feel much better without drugs. I am not poisoned any more.

I have learned to love myself, I am creative, funny. I am able to get rid of people who harm me and I was able to make new friends.

In august I will go back to work after 5 years off, long-times in bed.

I just wanted to tell you this because at the point you are now it seems there is no option to get a better life.

But it will get better. I wish that it will come soon for you.

Happy birthday.

Enjoy it a little bit. Did you get yourself a nice present??? not? go and get it.

Marigold

I freaking love you guys.

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

I tried to leave dinner early, but my brother's girlfriend convinced me to stay.

Your support means so much to me!

I have faith it will get better.