I am HopeToDoThis

[Ho...]

I have been taking alprazolam (aka Xanax) for 2 years. My dose is 0.5 mg at breakfast, and 0.5 mg at lunch. At bedtime I take zolpidem (aka Ambien), 10 mg. Recently my doctor has required me to come in monthly to renew my script for xanax, and I can't be missing work like that. So I want to taper off. I sometimes miss my lunch dose, which has never been a problem. But yesterday I started a taper, with a 0.25 mg reduction. And that was obviously too much! The panicking! The heart pounding! wow! It must be in my head, since in the past I sometimes missed my lunch dose, but the feelings were real.

I started taking Xanax and Ambien a few months after I finished chemotherapy. Apparently anxiety is a common side effect after finishing chemo, and the xanax calmed me down. But now I kind of want off. Kind of. Still not sure it's a good idea. Maybe I should stay on it for some more? Or do I taper off more slowly? I mean, if the reason I want off of it is so I don't see my doctor every month, is that a good reason? I have to see my doctor every three months anyways.

Well, I'm rambling. I'm going back to my normal dose tomorrow and will try the taper again next week, but just removing a quarter of a pill instead of half from my daily dose. Maybe that will be easier.

Or do I wait another 3 weeks to see my doctor about it? Still trying to decide.

I had to leave work early today because I forgot to bring my lunchtime dose and the panic was very strong in me. I can't believe I missed work because I forgot to bring xanax. That really put me in a bad mood.

Anyways, Hi. I Hope To Do This.

Hello, HopeToDoThis - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on deciding to come off of the benzos.  Many have done it and you can, too.

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.

Xanax has a short half life and generally Valium is preferred for a taper.  One Xanax equals 20 mgs of Valium.  Valium has the longest half life so the risk of interpose withdrawal is minimized.  You may want to ask your physician if she will cross you over to Valium and do a slow taper with you.

Please feel free to post to any of the specialized boards, which can all be accessed from the BenzoBuddies Community Forum homepage. Based on the information provided in your introduction, the following links may be a good starting place for you:

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

Planning Your Taper:

General Taper Plans   

Substitution Taper Plans   

Titration Taper Plans     

When you have a chance, I highly recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, which is an authoritative source on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery, authored by Dr. C. Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field. It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations on the reasons for their existence.  The Manual also contains tapering schedules.

For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that.

Please take the time to Create a Signature. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

Carol Jean

We are here for you!  Most of us wish we had this support BEFORE tapering or going into acute withdrawal so it is great that you are getting involved so soon into your recovery.  Those first few symptoms are withdrawal and listening to your body is going to be key in making this less painful.  So cut smaller and let us know how we can help.  I certainly wish I had the foresight that you do or was at least educated about the process of getting off benzos.  Good for YOU!!

Thank you both.

I think I need to do more research into how to do this. And I need to stop drinking and smoking first, because doing those does not work while withdrawing. The metallic taste in my mouth makes those horrible. I kind of drink a lot, so I will need to wean myself off of alcohol first.

I also may need to buy some equipment, like a scale, so I can taper properly. Tried to taper too much at once on my first step.

Of course, this is probably my addiction-addled mind talking. "No, not now." But it will always be telling me that, won't it.

I knew xanax was addictive. If I had known it was this addictive I never would have started. No wonder my psychiatrist refused to prescribe me this stuff.

I am glad you are preparing properly... again I wish I did or had known.  You already survived cancer so I am quite sure you can do this!  And to respond your first question; is going off this worth it just so you don't have to see your doctor every month...?  There are even better reasons to get off this stuff!