Glad to Join the Team

[Re...]

Hello! I'm glad to be here; looking forward to good advise and to help others. I'm real confused about benzos, as I have anxiety and really don't know the best route to take or who to believe in. My anxiety began about 12 years ago and back then I had no idea what was happening. It went away and about 4 years down the road it came back. It's been going away, but coming back practically yearly. This year it came back around late May and it's been sticking around. I went to my doctor; he prescribed Alprazolam at .25mg daily or as needed until symptoms went away. Others told me I needed something better. So, I went to another doctor; he prescribed Valium at 5mg. daily for 1 month. Afyer the switch, I began to read about these type benzos and got real frightened, so began to limit the use and ultimately stop. The problem is that anxiety keeps coming back just as I think it's gone away for this year. I'm really confused, as I began to think if it's returning as a withdrawal symptom. I don't believe so due to the small dosis and short time used. But, I don't know. Lately I've had a great loss of appetite, loss of sleep (sleep 3 to 4 hours or nothing), overbreathing, jittery legs, anxious feelings and a dry mouth. Maybe it's that or the anxiety coming back because I didn't follow the prescription. This morning I went to the doctor and he explained it would not go away if I didn't follow what he prescribed. He said not to take any more of either benzo and prescribed 20mg of Paroxetine for a week and to return for follow-up. Any advise you all could share would be highly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Hello Real Friend,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Todays world is very complex and anxiety is something that many people must deal with. It seems like you were on benzos for over one month starting with alprazolam and ending with valium.  While a short period of time, discontinuing the drug can cause withdrawal symptoms even with relatively short term use. Anxiety is a very common withdrawal symptom.  Your short term use in in your favor so things should ease up for you soon.

However, since you do have anxiety issue, it's important to find ways to deal with it. Frankly, benzos can cause more anxiety due to tolerance and withdrawal. I actually never experienced panic or anxiety until I was put on benzos (for a supposed inner ear issue).  Modalities such as CBT, meditation, breathing techniques and yoga can be very helpful in dealing with anxiety.

I'll give you a link to the Post Withdrawal Support Board, where you can post and receive feedback from members.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. Although it discusses tapering in detail, it also gives good information about the withdrawal process in general.

I'll include a link to the Anxiety Board.  There you can read and post questions and comments.

I don't understand why your doctor would prescribe paroxetine for only one week, unless he wants to see how you are doing after that period of time. It actually takes up to a month for medications like this to become effective.  Initially they can actually be quite stimulating, creating more anxious feelings.

We'll help you the best we can and offer information and support to you. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

The Ashton Manual

Anxiety

pianogirl  :)

OK at least your doctor is giving you good advise as it is too late to return to the benzos (if I understand your post correctly - you are more than 3 weeks out from last dose) and YES, it appears that you have the delayed onset of withdrawal which is quite common.  So welcome to where we all are or have been; in limbo trying to recover with very little clinical research on how.  Best advice so far is to welcome the symptoms has a sign of healing and try not to count the days of distress but know that you are NOT alone.