Extreme sugar craving?

[Aj...]

When will this ho.

It is driving me insane. It starts from the moment I am awake until a I go to bed. It is like constant panic. I have tried eating healthy things but as never feel full that doesn’t help.

My brain just wants sugar all day. I am fighting it and fighting it all day but eventually have to give in because it is the only way to have a moment where a I calm down at all.

This has been going on for months now.

I know this is the worst thing I could be doing but I literally can’t get any control over it.

I would ask;

1. What other medications you are on?

2. Could you can describe your diet? e.g. as either as low fat high carbohydrate, or moderate carbohydrate moderate fat, or high protein low carbohydrate; or if you prefer, you could describe what you eat in a typical day; (it's not wasted on me - I'm qualified to give nutrition and weight management advice and have a special interest in food plans that stabilise blood sugar levels).

3. Finally do you have any conditions or have you had any tests that indicate issues with blood sugar levels for example diabetes or inexplicable weight loss or weight gain.

4. I would ask also if you're taking any supplements or caffeine that may have an impact on metabolism or energy production e.g. B vitamins or minerals.

Finally, I would ask specifically how much protein you tend to eat, as in do you eat protein with every meal or do you sometimes have meals without protein.

I think if you could give us as much context as possible it might be that people here could help you figure out why the carbohydrate or sugar cravings. The most obvious reason would be insulin resistance or something that is causing reactive hypoglycemia or low blood sugar levels in general. And the most likely cause of these issues would either be diet, medication or some kind of physiological issue.

I hope we can help you find an answer to what is causing this rather burdensome and disruptive craving.

Best wishes

A

Only taking 10mg Nortriptyline as well as diazepam that I’m tapering.

Only supplement is I’ve just started. NAC 600mg twice a day.

Other than the biscuits that I cannot control I am eating veg, chicken and fish. No potatoes or other starchy veg. The occasional whole grain rice cake with goats cheese. Occasionally porridge with blueberries and pumpkin seeds.

No caffine.

I ate Paleo prior this happening.

I was borderline diabetic a few years back but started Paleo, lost 112lbs and blood sugar was normal. Most recent tests show it is normal but home test shows a little high first thing.

You should know this started after a I lost all internal sensation of feeling full or hungry. I could literally eat cupboards full of food and if I didn’t remember doing it I would not know. My brain is getting no indication that a I have eaten nor do I have any internal feeling not even feeling sick.

Excess cortisol and HPA dysregulation from withdrawal causes blood sugar regulation issues. I would add back in a good startchy carb like a sweet potato maybe mid-day and  make sure you are eating enough healthy fats.  Make sure you are eating something every 3-4 hrs.

Try that for a few days and see if it helps.

You can also add 200 chromium picolinate 1 - 2x day. That got my blood sugar back on track.

Thanks!

I will try having porridge mid day to see if that helps.

I need to eat more fibre anyway as can’t go at all even with laxative since all this started.

Forgot to say I have also started pea protein powder 2x/day.

And tried a good probiotic for a couple of months but didn’t change anything.

It is as if my brain thinks my body is constantly starving.

One thing, Because pc loss of bodily sensation I have no feeling of stretch and the stomach stretching is what causes the cascade that signals fullness to the brain. I wonder if that not working is causing this.

Also worried that v. Tight painful part of spine is where nerves exit to stomach so maybe they are getting squashed.

Interesting. Although I thought this was completely unrelated, the experiences of cardboard sugar cravings plus the inability to feel satiated reminded me in every way of the experience of taking the antidepressant drug mirtazapine which is well known to cause these cravings, a lack of satiated and associated weight gain. Interestingly nortriptyline has a very similar mechanism of action to Mirtazapine, and has been associated with sugar cravings and weight gain in some people, though not everybody. I just did a quick Google search to find the link for you on this and one such article that mentioned this ishttps://www.livestrong.com/article/183565-nortriptyline-weight-loss/ . As you see from this article, weight gain or carbohydrate cravings is not an inevitability with this drug, and I imagine that you have experienced normal eating or even weight loss before on this medication. What does seem possible however is that the possibly marginal carbohydrate cravings and satiation repression associated with this drug has been unmasked or perhaps even exacerbated by your withdrawal symptoms.

NAC ought to have no craving or appetite stimulant properties and actually if anything helps to alleviate insulin resistance.

I think the biggest clue, however, is the loss of some physical Sensation including the feeling of stomach stretch. Regardless of the cause of this, which could actually be nerve related or hormonal e.g. the appetite hormone ghrelin, the consequences are the same, and so to probably the solution.

That has the difficulty. The symptoms you described are exactly like those of Mirtazapine side effects, which I experience for years and many people have talked about all over the internet full stop it is a persistent craving for carbs or sweet things, no feeling of fullness, a constant desire to eat and associated weight gain. Not only is it rare to see someone talking of not experiencing any of these symptoms, it is just as rare to find anyone who has found a solution to it other than the discontinuation of Mirtazapine.

In my case however I was able at least to mitigate these symptoms. I was eating a high protein diet and weight training, but the best thing for me was my discovery of something that many people disapprove of, and that is foods like gooey chocolate bars or mooses or desserts or shakes either sweetened with artificial sweeteners or with sugar alcohols, some of which are actually quite good for you like xylitol. Most importantly I went for the protein chocolate bars, desserts, cakes, cakes mousses etc. I allowed myself to indulge in these foods which resembles the kind of carbohydrate foods I craved and satisfied the craving but did not mess up my blood sugar levels or cause weight gain. This allowed me to manage my way and resist experiencing the weight gain that would have been inevitable have I given in to my carbohydrate cravings l. Sometimes I would eat ridiculous amounts of these foods late at night but in my experience no amount of protein seems to increase body fat mass; wheras all I need to do is look at piece of bread and I get fat!

I think it is quite possible that the suggestion above to eat some healthy complex carbohydrates may be effective. Sometimes a small amount of carbohydrates did result in temporary satiated for me but often it also lead to uncontrollable need to ate more and more carbohydrates, so it worked sometimes and was counterproductive at other times. The reason why maybe effective is because carbohydrate stimulate the release of serotonin in the brain and this leads to a feeling of satiation or satisfaction. The serotonin boost is negated by drugs like Mirtazapine and I imagine also nortriptyline as they are both serotonergic and noradrenergic antidepressants with antihistaminic actions. However, unlike Mirtazapine I think the carb cravings and lack of satiation is not as intractable with nortriptyline so I'm confident you will be able to find a way of managing it in the end. Your diet seems pretty impeccable to me so I'm sure you are doing the best you can in that regard.

It sounds like you're eating a very good diet and I'm surprised that your blood sugar levels are higher in the morning. My blood sugar tends to be at its lowest first thing. Perhaps it takes a while to regain perfect blood sugar control when you have experienced prediabetes or insulin resistance in the past.

Finally just in case it's of relevance to you I actually was advised to discontinue Mirtazapine in the middle of my benzo taper, by my GP, and I feed this would make it much worse but actually I feel better off the Mirtazapine and it has had no impact on sleep or on the difficulty of withdrawing from the diazepam. Maybe one day you will be able to start tapering off nortriptyline so if that is the case then maybe bearing with the carb cravings for a while maybe your best option.

Thanks!

This all started prior to my taking low dose Nortriptyline.

It started during withdrawal last year.

I am aware of Mirtazipine as was on it years ago (one reason I had to lose so much weight...)

Mirtazipine was also what the vet prescribed my old cat when she lost her appetite due to hyperthyroidism to stimulate her appetite.

The intense craving gets worse as each dose is wearing off and my whole body, including head, brain and stomach feels squeezed.

I literally never feel saited but the sugar does calm the sense of intense panic that comes with the squeezing and extreme muscle tension that initiates the need to eat.

I have tried porridge and sweet potato last couple of days but it has not helped.

Blood sugar has risen because a I have been stuffing sugar for months now because the sensation is unbearable. It is making me want to give up.

try the chromium picolinate 200 mg 2 x day once with your morning meal and once with dinner.

It helped me within 1 week. I had this bad too. Its worth a try. Don't give up you can make this work.

Ok will give it a go.

Was yours like a severe panic feeling that only went with eating sugar?

My blood sugar isn’t low.

I am worried it is excitotoxicity as IV glucose is given to treat that.

Thanks!

Right, well it could then be related to cortisol which can bring feelings of panic - sugar/carbs are well known to reduce cortisol levels. If I were your Doctor I would see the potential seriousness of this (in the sense that it threatens your recovery) and do what I can to help you. Might be worth a try! Whatever - I echo what has just been said; you're doing well - don't give up!