Common Ground magazine- "To sleep or not to sleep"

[be...]

Common Ground magazine, July/August 2018

Good to see more negative coverage around benzodiazepines, z-drugs and pharmaceutical company driven "disease-mongering" in western Canada. 

To sleep or not to sleep,

by Janet Currie, writer, policy analyst and researcher

https://commonground.ca/sleep-or-not-sleep/

An excerpt:

Although comparable Canadian research isn’t available, we do know that sleeping pills/benzodiazepines are among the most prescribed medicines in BC. The most common sleeping pill, Zopiclone, is the eighth most prescribed drug of any type in the province with 1,146,200 prescriptions in 2016. Other common sleeping pills such as lorazepam (Ativan) and clonazepam (Klonopin) are the 28th and 29th most prescribed drugs, both accounting for an additional 1,295,666 prescriptions. Other drugs, like atypical antipsychotics, which are usually approved only to treat psychoses, are often prescribed (inappropriately) as sleeping pills to older Canadians.

This high level of prescribing is despite the fact that sleeping pills and benzodiazepines are only intended for short-term use (for a few days only or for a few days intermittently). Common adverse reactions, which can occur at any level of use, include daytime sedation and confusion, leading to a higher risk of car accidents comparable to the effects of alcohol, memory problems, breathing difficulties and dizziness/loss of balance leading to falls and hip fractures.

Hip fractures can have serious consequences for older Canadians, sometimes leading to permanent disability or premature death. The annual cost of hip fractures to the Canadian health care economy is $650 million, estimated to rise to $2.4 billion by 2041.

One of the most serious outcomes of the longer term use of sleeping pills/benzodiazepines is drug-induced dependence: addiction. Simply put, addiction is a normal process that occurs when the brain becomes tolerant of some drugs, which leads to withdrawal symptoms if the dosage isn’t increased. Signs of addiction to sleeping pills include worsening insomnia, problems with anxiety, muscle pain and difficulties stopping the drug. If used longer term, sleeping pills/benzodiazepines should never be stopped abruptly, but tapered off slowly.

It may be surprising to learn that, despite their popularity, sleeping pills/benzodiazepines are not very effective for insomnia. Research has shown the brain quickly becomes tolerant of their effects so that, even after just a few weeks of use, they increase sleep time for an average of only 12 minutes a night. Considering all their risks, the benefits of sleeping pills are meagre...

Some researchers have questioned whether we are actually experiencing a true “insomnia epidemic” or whether disease-mongering is really our public health problem. Disease-mongering occurs when the normal ailments of everyday life are classified as medical problems requiring treatment, usually with prescription drugs...

Alan Cassels, drug policy researcher, is also a frequent writer for Common Ground, under the heading "Drug Bust".  He also involved with Laura Delano's Inner Compass Initiative:  https://www.theinnercompass.org/people/alan-cassels-0

Here are a couple of his articles:  https://commonground.ca/selling-sickness-five-years-on/

https://commonground.ca/mass-murderers-ssris/

Thanks for sharing this article, benzohno. I'll have a look. Did you ever read this article by Janet Currie? I read it years ago, early in my benzo research days. It was quite an eyeopener for me at the time.

"Manufacturing Addiction: The Over-Prescription of Tranquilizers and Sleeping Pills to Women in Canada"

http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/39526

You're welcome Lapis.  I didn't realize she is the same person.  I read "Manufacturing Addiction" early on too and recall it's very good.  It's near the very top of my "benzo stuff" bookmarks, so from years ago.  My bookmark wouldn't open just now, nor did your link, so I'm going to post another link to  for anyone interested:  http://bccewh.bc.ca/2014/02/manufacturing-addiction-the-over-prescription-of-benzodiazepines-and-sleeping-pills-to-women-in-canada/

Wow, she wrote that back in 2003, so I'm glad she's hasn't given up warning people.

Argh! Sorry about the bad link.

Great article....EXCEPT I do not condone the use of the word "addiction". "Dependence" would have been the appropriate choice.

Hey, don't be silly, or sorry.  I know, I wish she'd just stuck with "dependence" and left it at that.  You get the Common Ground there right?  I thought your province was eastern Canada, but I think I saw it said CG was there, but also said was distributed in western Canada, so am not sure and was wondering.

I know you are Lapis.  I wish it weren't so.  It is a completely disabling symptom you are dealing with (edit:  and your foot).  I think of you all the time and my heart goes out to you and I pray this ends soon, for us all who have been suffering far too long.  I just wondered if you might have seen it around before all this.  It's a free, kind of health and wellness, coloured newsprint magazine that I've been seeing around here for decades.  They drop them off in piles.  Anyways, I think and hope they're your parts too.  I just started looking at it again recently was pleased with what I saw.

Thank you so much for the lovely words of support, benzohno. Yes, I wish for us all to be well NOW (well, yesterday, actually!).

And yes, I do remember seeing piles of Common Ground in a few of the stores just around the corner from where I live. There are some natural food stores, so I'm pretty sure that's where I used to see it. Maybe at some of the fun little restaurants there too. In any case, it's been awhile since I got out on my bike to get to my local natural foods store, but I would guess that if you're still seeing it in your area, chances are it's still being distributed around here.

Good to know they're out there where you are Lapis, but I wish you could pick one up for yourself on your bike, like Yesterday.  It sounds like a nice neighbourhood you're in.  I've picked up a couple, but the fear/agoraphobia and pain/discomfort is often crippling and prevents me from going out most of the time, unless absolutely necessary, but at least I can/am able, theoretically anyways I guess.  I have some days that make it a little easier than others.

I was glad that she mentioned pain as a symptom in the article.  I've noticed pain isn't often mentioned, though a very common symptom. 

Yes, well, pain is my middle name for now. Not fun. Anyway, yes, it's a great neighbourhood! I love it and miss it, and I just want to get on my bike and ride.........

I'm so sorry to hear about how you're strugging too, benzohno. I'm sending the best vibes I can muster across the country to you.

I feel like we're all pushing and dragging and helping each other along here, and really, I'm so grateful for it. None of this is fair or right, and on this very dizzy day, I'm just trying to get through the rest of today so that I might get to a better day tomorrow.

Thank you so much Lapis.  I could use those best vibes....I'm just trying to get through today too, hoping tomorrow will be better.  I just remembered that you're in pain too.  I knew that. It's too muchie, exhausting in itself isn't it.  I'm also grateful for this place.  I really don't think I'd believe this was even possible this many years out otherwise.

Yes, I know, benzohno. I can't really believe the body is capable of this sort of thing. I was always into "natural foods" and "natural healing", and I always believed in the wisdom of the body and its ability to move towards health, given the right conditions. I felt like I knew how to take care of myself.

Obviously, something happened. Ahhhhh, such regret.

Anyway....

I guess I haven't given up completely on the idea of the body's wisdom, but this experience challenges all of that on a daily basis. For me, it's important to hear it from others, e.g. my physiotherapist, and to that end, I asked someone to make a video for me. Sometimes I play it so that I can just get that reassurance. Sometimes I believe it; Sometimes I don't.

It's another dizzy, painful day here, and the sun is shining outside, and everyone is out there, enjoying the summer, and damn, I just want to be part of it again!

Thanks for sharing this article, benzohno. I'll have a look. Did you ever read this article by Janet Currie? I read it years ago, early in my benzo research days. It was quite an eyeopener for me at the time.

"Manufacturing Addiction: The Over-Prescription of Tranquilizers and Sleeping Pills to Women in Canada"

Oh ouch,

This was written in 2004!.... and documents so well what so many experience, and here we are today in 2018.

thanks!

SS

A good little read.  At first I was shocked at how freely the author dared to use so many A-words, but then I noticed it was written in 2004, the same year in which Michael Behan delivered his A-word laced memorandum to the House of Commons.

I imagine by now that both have been properly re-educated.

Yes, this A-word-laced article was one of the early finds for me when I started to do research on what the hell was going on with me. This one put things into context and added to the growing pile of papers that confirmed my medication was likely the cause of my problems.

Yes, I know, benzohno. I can't really believe the body is capable of this sort of thing. I was always into "natural foods" and "natural healing", and I always believed in the wisdom of the body and its ability to move towards health, given the right conditions. I felt like I knew how to take care of myself.

Obviously, something happened. Ahhhhh, such regret.

Anyway....

I guess I haven't given up completely on the idea of the body's wisdom, but this experience challenges all of that on a daily basis. For me, it's important to hear it from others, e.g. my physiotherapist, and to that end, I asked someone to make a video for me. Sometimes I play it so that I can just get that reassurance. Sometimes I believe it; Sometimes I don't.

It's another dizzy, painful day here, and the sun is shining outside, and everyone is out there, enjoying the summer, and damn, I just want to be part of it again!

I agree Lapis, it's important not to give up on hope for the body's wisdom in righting this.  I read somewhere here that the body will do everything in it's power to achieve equilibrium regardless of the cost to the host.....that's a bit funny.  Good for your physio for doing that for you, letting you film.  We need all the reassurance we can get.  I know, it's so hard to feel hopeful on the worst days, especially when they come one after another and it's summer.  I long for the bad weather.  I love "bad" weather now.  I don't think I did before.  I can't remember.

On Monday, Mr. Benzohno told me I was looking better.  He's NEVER said that.  He's also never admitted I looked bad, disagreeing whenever I've said how bad I look, but I know I have.  Monday he said my face looked better somehow, "fuller" (so I did look bad).  Then oddly, at the dentist on Wednesday, the receptionist, who has never comments on how I look, said, "You look goodl", though I did not feel well.  And I know for a fact I looked like death not so long ago because they have a picture of your face on the computer screen next to x-rays of your teeth that is beside the dental chair, taken last year.  I try not to look at it because it's so upsetting.  So, anyways, I hang onto that this week.  I also was thinking I looked better, but wasn't sure if I was fooling myself.  So something must be healing, though it doesn't feel that way, quite the opposite much of the time really.

A good little read.  At first I was shocked at how freely the author dared to use so many A-words, but then I noticed it was written in 2004, the same year in which Michael Behan delivered his A-word laced memorandum to the House of Commons.

I imagine by now that both have been properly re-educated.

Unfortunately, she is still using the A-word in the Common Ground, 2018.  She uses both "dependence and addiction, one after the other, like this:  "drug-induced dependence:  addiction."    Maybe that's progress?  I don't know. 

I especially like this: This high level of prescribing is despite the fact that sleeping pills and benzodiazepines are only intended for short-term use (for a few days only or for a few days intermittently).

I think that 2-4 weeks is too long. These drugs are so powerful, and patients can get into a blind honeymoon phase within the 2-4 week period, thinking that the pills are miracle workers. (They may already develop a dependence during that time.) This lulls them into the idea that they want to continue taking them longer, and doctors are often too eager to go along with that thought.

I detest the A-word attached to benzos. It detracts from the real problem, that these pills have a high affinity for dependence. The A-word is usually followed by a dismissal from doctors, and shuts down all conversation. I remember FG's physician telling him that he didn't have an addictive personality (or something such as that), and so he wouldn't be "addicted" to Klonopin. But he certainly had a dependence. Something like that is so damaging. Patients quickly think that they won't be "addicted" because they aren't that type of person. I certainly said the same thing to myself and dismissed any idea of it, so it was okay for me to take Ativan. HA!!!

I liked that too Terry, just a few days or less.  I think 2-4 weeks is too long, even including the taper.  I remember the first few weeks I was on the clonazepam, I felt so good and forever after I expected to return to that.  I thought it was my fault that I didn't.  I was always ready to blame myself and then the doctor never hesitated to jump on board with that -- chemical imbalance and let's examine what happened in your life this week....

Seen so many people on here too suffering for years after very short-term use.  I'm tending to think they should only be used in a one-off sort of a way, for surgery and such.  I once gave my husband a clonazepam on an airplane trip, to sleep which we just discussed recently. I'd forgotten. Not long after waking, he became increasingly enraged with the person sitting in behind him, something to do with kicking the seat.  He remembers viscerally how full of completely out-of-character rage he became.  I can only remember this vaguely 

I don't like the A-word either.  I'm not an addict, though I was treated like one at a Daytox centre.  Luckily they kicked me out for not following the doctor's "recommendations" (to take gabapentin and drop the clonazepam, so stupid).  I always took less than prescribed and was always doing cold-turkeys, always trying to stop the drugs, which I now regret, as I'm certain it's caused some bad kindling.  I think I would be better off now had I dosed consistently every day.  It even says on the bottle (I still have a bottle of clonazepam as I'm still too angry to return it to the pharmacy), "Take one or two tablets at bedtime", which is so wrong. 

Thank you for your post, benzohno!!

Yes, we're made to feel as if it's our fault if things don't turn out well with these pills. We're getting mixed signals from the prescription bottles (mine said "as needed" which is a really loaded term and leads to a very slippery slope) and from doctors themselves. They don't understand these drugs, what they cause, and after reading so many posts I'm BEGINNING to find out all they can cause, and it's disastrous.

Your husband's reaction points to the fact that no one knows what personality change benzos can cause in different people. There are a vast number of different responses that can come about, rage being one of them, no matter what shortened time they are taken.

I'm so sorry you were treated like an addict. It seems that all detox centers should be off limits for benzo people. It is certainly not the way to treat someone who is suffering the ill effects of benzos!! Besides that, it leads to a self-deprecating feeling, as if there's something wrong with us, and that couldn't be further from the truth!

Thank you so much Terry for the kind validation.  I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.  I feel the same.  And your pill bottle too huh?  Ridiculous.  Those instructions are just as bad as mine.  So very uninformed.  Yes, something is wrong, but it's not with us.

Yes, benzohno, the pill bottles say A LOT as to how people cope with this. "Take one or two tablets at bedtime" is a loaded statement. We now know that varying the doses can cause an extremely unstable CNS and kindling. But we didn't know way back when. We thought we were just being careful.

Now if we can only get the doctors to understand how this is so potentially dangerous. That is a long uphill climb even after almost 60 years. Can you imagine it's been going on for that long? Today I was thinking how thankful I am for the Internet. Where I'd be without it, I wouldn't know. Probably dead. I just cannot imagine going through this alone. We're so fortunate to have this forum. Even when I was on another forum before this, there was a lot unsaid, and there weren't very many people involved. I was totally in the dark about so many things until I came here.

Hi Terry and benzohno,

I wanted to respond before, but I've been crying all day. Really bad one.

Anyway, benzohno, I had to smile through my tears at your comment about liking bad weather. Me too! It makes me feel better if we're getting a huge storm, overly hot weather (like now), or freezing cold snowy days. If I were well, I'd hate those things, but now, I just don't want to miss what's going on out there.

I agree with both of you in everything that you've been saying. I'm just all cried out and exhausted so I likely can't add any intelligent comments at this point, but I have to say that I'm really glad you two lovely gals are here. I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances, but you're both smart, warm and caring women, and I'm glad you're here to share the load with me. Like you, Terry, I know I wouldn't have stayed had it not been for the internet and BB.

Oh Lapis, there you are.  You made me tear up just now.  You're so sweet.  I was hoping you were at physio or something.  I'm so sorry it's another bad day.  You know we feel the very same about you.  Thank goodness for everyone protracted being here and continuing to tell their stories.  BB and the internet means everything for getting through this when you're so many years in and not recovered.  I also can well imagine where I'd be if not for this place.

Bring on the bad weather!  And I can't wait to shut the sliding door and window too, so I don't have to listen to everyone and their screaming children.

Hugs for you Lapis :  :therethere:  May tomorrow be a better day.  And for Terry too:  :therethere:  Everybody needs hugs.

xo

I'm so sorry that you've been crying all day, Lapis!!! That's sad. I hope you feel better tomorrow and are able to smile and laugh and be in good spirits. For all the good you do around here, you deserve a lot more than just that!!!  :hug:

Thank you, dear benzohno, for the kind words and, of course, the hugs! Yes, please! Coming right back atcha!

It wasn't even a dizzy day for me, but it was a very painful one. Also, someone who was supposed to be helping me almost caused a fire on the stove and burned a few things pretty badly. It's okay, though! I wanted a new pot, didn't I?! The rice was disgusting, though. Ick. The panic attacks were pretty brutal, and I'm paying a high price now with my weak, wobbly legs. I had so hoped for a peaceful day today. Really, really wanted it.

Re: weather and windows and outdoor noise....It was so hot today, that I had to turn on the AC rather early in the afternoon. I actually live fairly close to one of the more "active" consulates, and there just happened to be a loud protest out there today. So, bring on the closed windows!