Beginning Xanax Withdrawal

[Le...]

I have been take about .25mg of Xanax 1-2 times a day for about 8 months now. There was a break but relapsed. I have been wanting to get off ever since I started but built a dependency and just haven’t had a good time to go through withdrawals but realized there’s never going to be a good time. I’m here to see how other people cope with withdrawals and how long.

Hello Leo29,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! You've come to the right place for information and support as you start your taper from xanax.  Yes, there isn't necessarily and ideal time to start tapering but making a commitment to see it through and planning a sensible taper will help.

While 8 months might seem like a short period of time to take xanax, it doesn't take long for dependency to develop. That is why a slow taper is the best method for coming off benzos. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

We'll support and encourage you while you journey to be benzo free, you can do this.  Being benzo free and healed is pretty amazing, IMO.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Are you going to taper off of that? I'm on that after being on 1-2 mgs a day for years, then last month .5 to maybe 1 a day, this month, exactly what you're doing. Feels bad but not agonizing yet, just bad bad sleep. I'm biting them in half every few hours or so

Hello Leo,

Even if you are in a low dose of Xanax, I would suggest  you to follow the Ashton Manual (slow taper!).

Good luck!

did you find it necessary to go from 1 mg to .75 over the course of a month? Did you notice anything? I went very quickly and was totally fine. I'm just having issues at .25 twice a day primarily because I am breaking them morning/evening so it's just a low concentration of it consistently. Versus during a "stressful" event or day, i'd sometimes take a full .5 to chill out, can't do that now with my limited supply by my MD.