Waking up with a racing heart . Does this happen to you as well?

[St...]

Good morning! I continue to be on my Ativan taper and wake up almost daily with a racing heart rate. I try to work through it, not resist but it does make me anxious and it’s so uncomfortable. I also try to distract myself. This is why I end up going to ER but I am really trying to stop that cycle

Because I know this is part of the wothdwal ,that is it a physical sensation which is normal and it does not mean there is something wrong with me .  What works for you when this happens to you that

Helps you work through it with out panicking?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have had that racing heart upon waking or heart palpitations throughout my taper. It has been easing up as I have reduced, but still rears its ugly head when I have been on a new reduction for a few days.  It is one of the worst withdrawal symptoms for me because it ratchets up my anxiety and makes breathing and general functioning more difficult. I swim for an hour every day, and that always calms my heart down. I have also found that breathing exercises help to control it, but only for a short time. I think the regular, rhythmic breathing while swimming, the soothing effect of the water on my often-burning nervous system and the physical exertion help control the symptoms and  give me a nice shot of dopamine and seratonin. Swimming has been a lifesaver for me during this long, miserable process, providing at least a few hours of relief. Other forms of exercise may help you, too, if you are not a swimmer or don't have access to a pool. The key is to get that heart rate up for a sustained period of time.

I wake up several times a night with racing heart. I got an EKG and its normal . If you have been to the ER several times and they found nothing you be rest assure you are going through Benzo withdrawal. 

If this symptom is bothering a lot you can ask your doctor if a low dose beta blocker can be prescribed for you. I use them for this purpose and they calm my body's reaction to adrenalin and in your case probably a morning cortisol surge. Beta blockers are non-addictive and are a type of blood pressure medication. In low doses they help with the bodily symptoms of anxiety.