Introduction

[La...]

Hello, I'm  glad I found this forum. I'm joining because my pdoc is retiring and it's about time I get off these pills.  I'm currently on 3 mg of lorazepam and have been for about 10yrs.  I cant believe it's been that long but here we are.  Ive just gotten off Topomax, have been off 7 days without any problems. 

I need help with a direct taper from 3 mg of lorazepam daily please.  The dose is taken in 1 mg tablets, at bedtime.

Thank you

Hello Lakewater :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  You say you came off Topamax  is that an "anti-seizure" med,?  “are you prone to seizures” ?  If so I think it’s important to let your doctor/neurologist  know prior to making any changes to your medication.

Benzodiazepines need to be tapered slowly and carefully.  The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  You can go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. 

Our members are a very caring bunch of people, some will be happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Methods

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi all! Thank you for accepting me.  In answer to your questions, no I'm not prone to seizures, have never had one.  I was taking Topomax for headaches.  I don't have headaches (migraines) since I stopped hormones, changed my diet to eliminate sugar and most carbs, and changed husbands.  :)  my pdoc seems to think it's a matter of just stopping the meds and is retiring and unwilling to get I to the tapering business. 

Thanks for helping, Lakewater