Hello Im new

[rw...]

Im coming off of diazapam after 6 months.I was in cambodia and getting it nearly for free and I stopped taking them 11 days ago and the symptoms seem to be getting worse.

edit: name removed from title

Hello rwzd01,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! The problem with using sources like yours is once the supply is gone you are thrown into a cold turkey.  While 6 months seems like a short period of time to take diazepam or any other benzo, it is enough time for a physical dependency to develop. What dose of diazepam were you taking?

Normally a slow taper is recommended as a good plan for discontinuing drugs like diazepam. This gives the central nervous system time to adjust to less of the medication being taken.

You are not the first person to find themselves in a cold turkey situation. Right now you are in the acute phase, where the symptoms can be the strongest. When I finished my taper of valium (diazepam), I actually felt pretty good for about a week and then the symptoms hit me strong and hard. This situation is temporary and will ease up but it may take some time.

I'll give you a link to the Cold Turkey, Detox and Rapid Withdrawal Board where you can communicate with others in the same situation as yourself.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. While it discusses tapering in detail, it also gives good information about the withdrawal process in general.

Things may be rough for a while but you've come to the right place for support and encouragement as you recover.  Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Welcome Rick!

Glad you are here.  I’m not experienced with diazepam but there are many here who are.  Someone will respond soon to get you going in the right direction.  What I do have experience with is stopping medication cold turkey, and it is never recommended.  Did you run out or just decide to stop? 

It’s always recommended to do a slow taper, and you may wish to do this.  Symptoms of CT (cold turkey) do start to surface and get worse at first, so what you’re experincing is normal.  You’ll find the right guidance here!  We’re all here to support you.  Someone with more experience about your situation will be here to help.

Hang in there!

Love,

Uni

It’s different for everyone, so there is no linear timeline.  We all wish there were!  If you’re staying off and going the cold turkey route, there are a lot of great people who have also done this.  Hope you check out the links pianogirl posted.  If you decide to reinstate to do a taper, you can get support with that, too.  Whatever you decide, this is the best place for support!

5-15 mg every day for 6 months. Im just getting  waves all day. How long will this last @pianogirl?

As Unicorn said, there is no way to predict the length of recovery. It varies for each person based on many factors like one's genetics and how each person processes medications.

As I said, right now the acute phase will bring on the strongest withdrawal symptoms. 

Your dose varied a lot so your central nervous system, which is very fragile anyway, is in a state of confusion.  The drug makes significant chemical changes to the brain and it takes time to return to balance. The good thing is that it will. The key is to be patient and accept the process.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Ok thanks

hi im new here off valiun 20 days now after years on the drug and not knowing how to get off I have a little more knowledge this time :smitten:

Stardate 007-18-2018 17:30

I was reading some Gnostic texts online. NO REAL REASON...And they are saying that the god of the Old Testament was a murderous lunatic. I am really scared at the moment. Wth? I had a huge window and now a wave... :(

This SUCKS!

I think waves hit those of us who CT or rapid Detoxed harder than those who tapered....maybe I am wrong.  But I know that I am suffering from long waves (getting shorter!) after windows (getting longer) and it is not linear healing at all.  Hang in there!  Stay positive as this shows you are HEALING.