Need help deciding if I should crossover from Ativan to Valum

[Fr...]

I am desperate to know who has had luck with staying on Ativan during the entire taper? My doctor has told me once he doesn’t want to cross over to valume.  I’m scared because the Ativan does not last long. Trying to decide if I need to push the issue again or find another doctor. Any advice would be appreciated

He was not interested in hearing About the Ashton manual when I brought it to him. He felt like adding another similar drug will  only increase problem.  Of course I prefer not to have to make the switch, however if it will make this journey somewhat tolerable that’s what I want

A crossover can have some advantages (longer half-life, smaller standard dose sizes available, etc), but it can also present some complications of its own.  If you can taper from your original benzo, that's usually the better option.

You can address the short duration/interdose issue by spreading your doses.  If you do a liquid taper, that's really fairly easy.

He was not interested in hearing About the Ashton manual when I brought it to him. He felt like adding another similar drug will  only increase problem.  Of course I prefer not to have to make the switch, however if it will make this journey somewhat tolerable that’s what I want

You can start with ativan according to the ashton manual. If you find out you cannot go on, maybe find a new doctor to switch to valium

I would do a veeeeeeeery slow taper because of the short half-time of Ativan.

Best wishes

Thankyou both for the advice.  I think I’m going to start with trying to separate into 4 daily doses and go slow

I stayed on Ativan and it was OK. I'm almost done with my circa 11-month taper and feel well. For details, see my last answer to you on this other thread

I have taken xanax, ativan, klonopin, and valium. IMO valium is the way to go when tapering, but everyone is different. w/d symptoms have been less severe for me decreasing my dose with valium than when I was decreasing the klonopin I was taking...

I agree.... I was not successful in the Ativan taper...  just switch to Valium and I think it will be a smoother taper.  only my 3rd day sooooo time will tell.

Find another doctor.  It's ridiculous to stay on Ativan (in my opinion) when you're trying to taper.

Please see my post about the plan I used to taper successfully.

Ridiculous is to talk about things you have no experience with. I'm pretty happy with my Ativan taper which is more than many that crossed over to Valium can say.

I am desperate to know who has had luck with staying on Ativan during the entire taper? My doctor has told me once he doesn’t want to cross over to valume.  I’m scared because the Ativan does not last long. Trying to decide if I need to push the issue again or find another doctor. Any advice would be appreciated

Hi,

I tried Valium and it did not agree with me, just horrible, I'm off Xanax after almost 3 months of intense tapering and on Ativan

and to ME Ativan is clean and effective compared to the Nasty Dirty feeling I experienced with Valium, I can only speak for myself,

however I'm already tapering off Ativan from 1mg / day or as required for an example I haven't had any medications in 14 hours and

I'm hoping and praying that I can jump off very soon, as I no longer have a physical dependence to any Benzo, I can tell you that after 8 days without Xanax I'm fully detoxed and will never take it again for the rest of my life.

Good Luck !

Kind Regards

Tozz

Find another doctor.  It's ridiculous to stay on Ativan (in my opinion) when you're trying to taper.

Please see my post about the plan I used to taper successfully.

Ridiculous is to talk about things you have no experience with. I'm pretty happy with my Ativan taper which is more than many that crossed over to Valium can say.

Well, no, I do not have experience using Ativan for tapering, but I did consider the advice given by Ashton on using Valium before beginning my tapering program.  In fact, she specifically advises against using Ativan for tapering:

https://benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.htm

But if Ativan is working for you, that's great.

for me the taper from ativan was pure hell. I couldn't find a doctor who would switch me to Valium. I noticed every day how short the half-time of this drug is. horrible.

But you know - as I wrote, you can try. If you are not feeling well you can switch.

Thank you all for your outlook and advice. My doctor has told me once already he didn’t want to switch to V .  It just makes sense to me however obviously I would preferred to stay with what I know. I go back to him on Monday and I am thinking about asking again. Of course I don’t want to rock the boat, so fingers crossed

Thank you all for your outlook and advice. My doctor has told me once already he didn’t want to switch to V .  It just makes sense to me however obviously I would preferred to stay with what I know. I go back to him on Monday and I am thinking about asking again. Of course I don’t want to rock the boat, so fingers crossed

Try to force him to do a taper according to the ashton manual.. very slowly in small dosages or even a liquid taper...

I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Marigold,  I am definitely asking him about it again I am taking my mother to the appointment for support. It is so difficult to find a doctor knowledgeable about benzos.  Very frustrating, I realize different things work for different people however the Ashton method just makes sense