Tapering off ambien

[Kt...]

Hello, I've been on ambien for 1 month and am having great difficulty getting off it. I'm on a dose of 5mg and for the last 3 weeks have been trying to cut the pills up and weigh them to taper by 5%. I managed to reduce the dose a little, only to go up again. Also, even before I started the taper, I experience terrible withdrawal symptoms and panic and anxiety every evening from 5/6pm when they wear off, so this is an impossible process. Is the daily panic something I just have to suffer through?

Thanks

Hello Ktkat999 :hug:

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!

While Ambien is not a benzo it is what is called a z drug and does impact the same part of the nervous system as a benzo.  Medications like Ambien do need to be tapered gradually.  I'm sorry about the panics, it will ease off, hang in there.

A slow and careful taper is the best way to withdraw from these types of medications.  It is usually recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  I'm going to give you a link to the Ashton Manual, while it mainly addresses benzos, there is also information about the z drugs, such as Ambien.

I will put a link to the Ashton Manual, although it discusses benzo withdrawal, there is some information about Z drugs.

Professor Ashtons Manual 

Z-DRUG SUPPORT GROUP

We have a very helpful and friendly community. Please feel free to ask questions. So that members can respond with the appropriate information I would ask you to create a signature line listing your medication and doses. Here are the directions to do that: Create a signature

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi Magrita, thank you so much for your reply and for the information. I do have a specific question, if you or anyone is able to help?..

I got hooked on ambien after taking it for only a week. I decided to taper off using a scale - 5mg = 0.065g on my scale.

I started the taper at 0.043g (around 3mg) and stabilised on that for a week. I had terrible withdrawal and anxiety every evening from 5pm, but once I took the pill I slept well all through the night, and was ok for most of the day. I then reduced to 0.042g and 0.041g over the next 2 weeks and things were the same.

Then, stupidly, I was upset and agitated one night, so I took a dose of 0.075g, thinking that one night wouldn't make a difference. But when I tried to go back to the plan of 0.041g, by the second night I was having withdrawal symptoms all through the night and zero sleep. It is possible that only one night of the higher dose got me hooked on that dose?!

So I then decided to split the difference and have now been taking 0.064g for the last few nights. But at this dose I get only 4 hours sleep before I am woken up by palpitations and withdrawal, and I suffer unbearable anxiety and withdrawal all day. My question is, do I need to go back up to 0.075g to reduce the symptoms, and then taper from there? Or is it better to stick and 0.064g and suffer the withdrawal? Am I taking too much or not enough? I need to get as much sleep as i can as I'm also recovering from concussion 6 weeks ago.

Thank you!

Thank you in advance