It’s time

[lo...]

I’ve been on these things on and off for nearly ten years. I average around 20 mg Valium a week at the moment, basically 5mg every other day. I started tapering last week and managed to go cold turkey for a week before withdrawal was too much and had 5mg yesterday. Feeling average, going to follow Ashton Manuel and reduce by 10% every few weeks.

I got into them through doc prescribing them for anxiety and insomnia then managed to get them other ways. I don’t need them anymore, want to be off them in six months.

Hello losgauchos :hug: Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Glad you joined us. Cold turkey is not recommended and can bring on some very severe symptoms.  If you have been on benzos more than a few weeks, the generally accepted taper rate is 5-10%, every 10 to 14 days.  The rate can be adjusted to meet your needs.  Tapering slowly can help keep withdrawal symptoms manageable. We do eventually recover from this experience. 

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

The Ashton Manual

Here are some additional links:

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to”Create a signature”

Welcome Aboard

Magrita