Need advice

[ho...]

Hi,  I have come here to get help from other members.  I've been taking Ativan for several months after my dentist recommended it for surgery.  I suffer from jaw spasms and needed to be sedated for the surgery.  In very fast order the initial dosage didn't help anymore and I'm now up to 3mg daily and that's no longer effective.  My neurologist now wants me on .5 Klonopin twice daily.  Tonight would be the first time taking it. I've already taken 1.5mg Ativan today and I'm concerned about taking the Klonopin.  Also, I was on Klonopin before a couple of years ago and was able to taper off.  It was a gruelling experience.  I hate going back on it again, but the Ativan isn't really working for me and I'd have to keep upping the dose.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Hi hopingforrecovery :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad that you have found our community. Benzodiazepines are recommended for short term use  (short term being 2 or 3 weeks)  It doesn't take long to become physically dependent on benzodiazepines.  Withdrawal can be very challenging as you know, being among others who understand this process can make it a little easier to get through it.

The information and support that you get here is very important whilst going through this process. Tapering slowly is the safest and best way to withdraw.  I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

The general tapering guidelines are to cut the daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days. You can alter the schedule according to how you are feeling.  The aim is to keep any withdrawal symptoms manageable.

We have a great community here of knowledgeable and friendly people who understand this process.  They will be willing to share their experience with you.  Feel free to ask questions so that members can respond

Here are some helpful links:

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita