Time to Stop

[ps...]

hello fellow loved ones. I am 46 years old and have used pretty much every benzo there is for the last 13 years. Never abused them, just used them for sleep. Took time off between them when I felt addiction was creeping up. Never suffered severe withdrawal, just insomnia and muscle pain and tension till it left my system which was around two weeks. I am now withdrawing from 0.5 a night of Clonezepame that i have used for the past year. This cessation scares me this time because the muscular tightness is tougher this time. I have been off for 3 days cold turkey and looking to forever rid this drug. Any advice moving forward would be appreciated and can I take muscle relaxers to help the tightness?

Thank you Pete

Hello psuperstar,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! While I congratulate you for deciding to stop using benzos after such a long period of time, studies have shown that long term use can cause a myriad of symptoms such as memory loss and cognitive issues, I wonder why you have stopped cold turkey.  You are lucky to have had little difficulty stopping benzos in the past. However, subsequent withdrawals can be more difficult, this is called 'kindling'.  So that fact that the symptoms you feel are stronger this time is not surprising.

You've come to the right place for information and support. A slow, controlled taper is the best way to withdraw from benzos.  Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information. You are so new off, 3 days, that it is possible to reinstate and then implement a proper taper.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

Muscle pain and tightness is a very common withdrawal symptom, benzos are very efficient muscle relaxers and once removed it takes time for the muscles to learn to relax naturally.  This was one of my strongest symptoms. I didn't take any medication for it, I did try gentle stretching, Biofreeze ( a non drug topical) and magnesium. Some people have found relief with Epsom salt baths.  Mostly it just takes time for this to resolve.

We'll be happy to support you through the process. Recovery can take a while but with time the symptoms do ease up and disappear. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Thank you! I have a question, is there any data out there on how many people use Benzos and have no addiction or withdrawal. Your expert opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated. If I were to theorize it would be half the people. What does everyone think?

Thank you! I have a question, is there any data out there on how many people use Benzos and have no addiction or withdrawal. Your expert opinion on the matter would be greatly appreciated. If I were to theorize it would be half the people. What does everyone think?

Hello again,

I'm not an expert so my opinion is strictly that, my opinion.

Overall i feel that everyone will have some kind of withdrawal effect from stopping benzos, one doctor even told me this.  Many people will have an fairly easy recovery but others will not. It has been estimated that as high as 30% will have a difficult withdrawal period.  Personally I believe the number might be even higher. I believe there are those who give up because the symptoms are too strong. Others stay on because when symptoms appear there are doctors that tell them it is necessary for them to stay on the drugs for life due to their preexisting condition. 

The mechanics of benzos creates a physical dependency due to the downregulation of the GABA receptors. This happens with every type of benzo or zdrug.

PG  :smitten:

Thank you. You are spot on. I would also like to ask? Can i take the muscle relaxant Tizanidine to help with the tightness. I do not suffer from anxiety or panic attacks what so ever. I do though have muscular ache in my hamstrings and back, which wont allow me to sleep while I am withdrawing. Ill see if I can sleep tonight. First nite off I I slept good, last nite only one hour due to pain in hamstrings waking me up.  No other symptoms other than pain in muscles. Thank you.