Would like to stop relying on benzos for sleep

[Sy...]

Hello. I have been taking Klonopin and Xanax for a few years and would like to cease relying on them for sleep. I take them about 3 times a week.

Hello Sylvia  :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community. We would usually recommend to those dosing a few times a week, to stabilise at a set daily dose with which they feel reasonably comfortable, before starting their taper.  I am so pleased you have decided to taper off these drugs. You are making a great decision! 

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave a couple of useful links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

We do have a dedicated board dealing with insomnia, I'll give you a link to it so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help

Insomnia

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita