[...]

Hello! I am a 63 year old female and have been taking .5 - 1.0 Xanax and 7.5-15mg of Temazapam for insomnia for years. Recently I began to experience tolerance to these meds with symptoms of withdrawal and I do not want to increase my dosages so I feel I have no choice but to wean off of them. I am in need of help and simple instructions on how to do the water titration. I have had a trip planned for a year to Europe in October. I live in the U.S. so I am worried about being able to make that trip. Any help and suggestions are very appreciated.

Pono

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is currently the only one of its kind online.  For a long term user, it's important to taper slowly, as described below.  I was 62 when I tapered off xanax, and though I had a long withdrawal, due to a previous c/t, doing so was very worthwhile.  I'm 68 now and living a normal, rewarding life.

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5-10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  One exception: very short term users may be able to taper faster. During and after the taper there are often withdrawal symptoms, most commonly anxiety and insomnia, but these are temporary and will go away in time.

In general, those who've never withdrawn from benzos before seem to have fewer problems healing, while those with multiple withdrawals sometimes have longer, more challenging healing periods due to nervous system sensitization.

Here are a few useful links:

The Ashton Manual A great, short and concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Again, welcome!

Megan918

Administrator

Has anyone traveled while tapering? I had a trip planned and paid for a year ago and it’s a big one for me to Europe from the US. I have never traveled that far and already had some anxiety over it when in June of this year I found myself at the tolerance level with my .5mg of Xanax and 15mg Temazapam for sleep. So instead of increasing my dosages to rid the withdrawal symptoms I decided I should start water titration and I just don’t know what to do.

Hi Pono,

Welcome!  While I haven’t traveled during my taper, I have read of others who have.  But, I’m not sure they were aleady in tolerance.  Your health comes first!  Since you are in tolerance, I do hope you check out the

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0”

Titration Tapering Plan

section and get some support and guidance.  I’m doing liquid titration, as well and found such great support here to get started. 

Love,

Uni