Hello all...here's how I arrived at BB

[zo...]

So how did I end up in this mess...well, last year I was having terrible problems with insomnia and a psychiatrist decided that a short course of zopiclone would settle down my sleep pattern. Starting on the 1st of August 2017 I took 7.5mg each night for two weeks then began cutting down the dose over the next three weeks until I was down to crumbs, then stopped completely. I was fine for a few days afterwards, then I stumbled into Hell. I began to suffer from bad anxiety along with constant heavy sweating from my hands and feet, however I was just about getting by and I somehow convinced myself that I'd soon be better even though I never saw any improvement. Three months later I started to get a horrible burning pain in my arms and the anxiety became so extreme that I couldn't even leave the house. All the same I kept on hoping that things would look up...well, it's now ten months since I stopped the zopiclone, I still can't leave the house, absolutely nothing has improved and I've lost all hope. My symptoms are:

Nonstop fear and anxiety

Fear of being left on my own

Awful depression

Constant heavy sweating from my hands and feet

Sweating all over when I wake up

Diarrhoea on most days

Burning and aching in arms, legs and feet. This is worst in the morning then fades a bit through the day

I didn't had ANY of these symptoms before, other than the insomnia I was perfectly fine. I could cope with all of the physical symptoms, even the depression but the constant anxiety is just destroying me...all I do is spend my days being tortured by fear and crying because nothing ever improves, I have no life and I can't enjoy the music, hobbies and other things I used to love. I've tried to explain this awful anxiety to my family but they don't understand - not that I blame them, it's something that can only be understood by those who have experienced it. Naturally the doctor insists that withdrawal can't last this long...how can the people who hand out these drugs be so unaware of their potential to destroy lives? He gave me some Lyrica but I haven't touched it because I'm afraid that it would stop me recovering, make me worse or just leave me facing another horrific withdrawal. I don't know what to do and having watched month after month go by with no improvement, it's impossible to imagine that I might feel any better before 2018 is over. I'll be at 15 months by the end of the year so I would love to hear from anyone who didn't see any improvement until somewhere between the 10 month and 15 month marks, it would give me some hope which I desperately need. I'm sorry for being so negative...I'm just in a really bad way at the moment and it's so difficult to keep hanging on :(

Hi zopvictim :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you joined, try not to lose hope, it will get better, just needs more time.  I don't have personal experience with Zopiclone, I do know it should be tapered off slowly.  While not technically a benzodiazepine, the "z" drugs do target the same receptors as benzodiazepines.  I'm sure others here can offer more concrete information. You will get plenty of support here

I will put a link to the Ashton Manual, although it discusses benzo withdrawal, there is some information about Z drugs.

Professor Ashtons Manual

Withdrawal Support

You might like to post to this support group!

Z-DRUG SUPPORT GROUP

We do have a dedicated board dealing with anxiety issues, I'll give you a link to it so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

We have a friendly and caring community here.  Please feel free to ask questions.  Members will be able to respond better if they know your medication history so I will ask you to create a signature line listing your medications and doses.  Here are the directions to do that:  :  Create a signature

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

You're not negative you're hurting. If that didn't cause any emotional response ,or a less than positive view of what the future may hold for you. You would be a very ill human.

Let's look at some of the positives of your post- you're aware that some sort of tapering process should be in a recovery plan, you know your history, symptoms, especially the symptom you suffer from the most as of now. You have a realistic view of medical personnel their strengths and weaknesses. Now you have more resource information.

I'm stating the obvious for you but as you delve into the information to choose a better path, you are engaging your rational side this act of information gathering and synthesis is actually getting you away for a bit from the emotional side of your experience.

I am not minimizing nor am I patronizing you. Please look at them as assets!

Rhetorical question time. Should you continue with ever increasing suffering alone?

Can someone suggest and provide alternative choices for stabilization?

When you no longer feel bad won't you begin to be able to start thinking more clearly on how to feel better?

They say, " knowledge is power". However, knowing when, and how to apply the knowledge you gain. is applied knowledge or wisdom.

Comfort, Stability, Repair, Success

My sincere hope for you,

Eutychus

Everything you described is quite normal when one gets off benzos.. Those drugs affect your brain! And you brain will need time to heal itself. The part of your brain that produces fear and anxiety is the amygdala. Its a tiny organ, but plays an enormous role in how you feel. Your brain is also controlled through normal chemicals that our bodies produce. When you take benzos, those chemicals get messed up and when you STOP taking benzos, it will take some time for all those teensy chemical bits to    right themselves.

The human body is amazing in its ability to heal after an injury, whether it is a stroke, cancer, the flu, or benzo withdrawal. Healing WILL happen but you have to give it time.

While waiting, it is a good idea to learn as much as you can about how benzos work, how they affect you, and how you can deal with all those miserable symptoms. You can do this. Anyone who tries can do this! And this forum will help you, step by step, hour by hour.