Need Help from Jim Hawk, Builder, or Bella Tapering of 1 mg Klonopin

[Jo...]

When my doctor increased my klonopin in May to 1 mg I have been taking it all at night. Now I am taking it twice a day and it seems to help. I would get so much heart racing in morning taking 1 mg at night and nothing in day. I thought 1 mg was too high anyway. But I want to get off. How do I taper off taking 2 .5 mg tablets one at night and one in mid morning? Being on the Klonopin I have felt like I’ve been in withdrawl the whole time with my history of starting and stopping and being inconsistent. It made it worse increasing the dose and then not spreading it out. I am suffering withdrawl symptoms while on it and will continued to do so until the end and probably after. I was just hospitalized because I felt so hopeless that this would never end and the psychiatrists said to just wean off it over a month and get off it. I suffer from terrible skin sensitivity issues, migraines, muscle twitching, peripheral neuropathy, I feel sensations and pain to the billionth degree. I can’t taste foods, it is hard to concentrate, my face hurts, my skin feels tight, my heart races, food sits in my stomach and I get bloated and gassy.  I just want off this but don’t want worse symptoms.

So what would be a taper plan now that I am taking it twice a day? I only ever liquid tapered taking it just at night which I could go back to but it made the day so hard but I guess I could just see if I can suffer. Or I follow my psychiatrist rec and reduce by .25 a month. Just don’t know how to do it taking it twice a day.

I also have bad OCD because of all these health symptoms and my psychiatrist wants me to try Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, Prozac but I’m afraid that will add more symptoms because of the State my mind and body are in with this whole klonopin thing.

Thanks for your help.

When my doctor increased my klonopin in May to 1 mg I have been taking it all at night. Now I am taking it twice a day and it seems to help. I would get so much heart racing in morning taking 1 mg at night and nothing in day. I thought 1 mg was too high anyway. But I want to get off. How do I taper off taking 2 .5 mg tablets one at night and one in mid morning? Being on the Klonopin I have felt like I’ve been in withdrawl the whole time with my history of starting and stopping and being inconsistent. It made it worse increasing the dose and then not spreading it out. I am suffering withdrawl symptoms while on it and will continued to do so until the end and probably after. I was just hospitalized because I felt so hopeless that this would never end and the psychiatrists said to just wean off it over a month and get off it. I suffer from terrible skin sensitivity issues, migraines, muscle twitching, peripheral neuropathy, I feel sensations and pain to the billionth degree. I can’t taste foods, it is hard to concentrate, my face hurts, my skin feels tight, my heart races, food sits in my stomach and I get bloated and gassy.  I just want off this but don’t want worse symptoms.

So what would be a taper plan now that I am taking it twice a day? I only ever liquid tapered taking it just at night which I could go back to but it made the day so hard but I guess I could just see if I can suffer. Or I follow my psychiatrist rec and reduce by .25 a month. Just don’t know how to do it taking it twice a day.

I also have bad OCD because of all these health symptoms and my psychiatrist wants me to try Paxil, Luvox, Zoloft, Prozac but I’m afraid that will add more symptoms because of the State my mind and body are in with this whole klonopin thing.

Thanks for your help.

The best way to taper off of high potency benzos like  K is to make a liquid fdrom your tablets.  The simplest  and most convenient is to dissolve your tablets in either vodka or propylene glycol, then do a daily microtaper.

Ok I did that once before. My doctor told me this whole time since March that I’ve been back on klonopin that I should have been taking it twice a day and that could be why I’m suffering so much even while taking 1 mg. The past two days I switched and took .5 mg at night and felt better in the morning but then took .5 mg mid morning and feel worse in the afternoon. Is that withdrawl symptoms since I had been taking 1 mg all at once at night? Should I just stick to tapering off 1 mg at night and not dose in the day too? I feel like all my symptoms are worse now.

Thanks Builder!

• 2 weeks later...
[73...]

I was taking K twice a day low dose 0.375 (0.250 at night 0.125 afternoon). Switch to 3 x day: morning-late afternoon and last thing at night. I feel a little better with  three doses. One of the doses is liquid. That's the cutting those I'm tapering with. So far so good. it's been three days. I'm thinking to switch full liquid in a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It seems to me that the liquid dose makes the difference. Pills take time to dissolve and if you take them after eating it prolongs the time it takes to get into your system. That may cause problems if you are sensitive to the drugs. Besides the inaccuracy of the cut. 

I've been on this ordeal for almost a year now. I was offered and actually tried some other stuff that the Dr suggested. The problem is that you don't actually know if the symptoms  are side effects of the new drug or the old drug. I'm trying to stay out of any other drug while tapering. Replace what they offer with more natural ways of coping. Diet-exercise-family and friends interaction-herbal teas- cold showers(helped me a lot).

If you go to a Psychiatric they are going to medicate you. Is the only thing they know...

GOOD LUCK !!!  :thumbsup:

Miguel