Dazed and Unamused

[Je...]

Hi everyone!

My name is Jessi and I am 59 years old. I have been on Klonopin .5 for about 11 years now. In the beginning, my rx was for up to 6 per day but I tend to be a more is less person, and I rarely used all six.

Over the past decade, I have switched psychiatrists, because of retirement (Theirs), and I, on average, take 2-3 per day still at .5 each. Over the past month, I have been having trouble with memory and cognitive tasks and it has been suggested by my Doc that klonopin can cause these symptoms as we age because of metabolism slow down.

I have read a couple of articles to confirm and found that the articles, most recently in the NY Times, supported that possibility. Over the past four days I have dropped to 1 .5mg for the day, split between morning and night. At the same time she changed my antidepressant from prozac to zoloft. I put myself back on the prozac today because I am so agitated and I cannot sleep. I realize this may be from the klonopin drop but I had to eliminate one and this is what I did.

I'm tired....and feeling a little like a lab rat. I want to be myself again, without the meds and I don't know what that will be like or if it is even possible.

Thanks for This Community,

Jessi

Hi Jesse :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I know how you feel, (dazed and unamused like  lab rat).  Many of us came here just like you, its going to be okay. You've come to the right place for support and you will find a lot of information that will help you.  We have a great community here of knowledgeable and friendly people who understand this process.  They will be willing to share their experience with you. 

Yes it is possible to be you again,  after 26 years on benzos, it was such a wonderful relief to find me again. Withdrawal is tough but its worth it, you can do this Jesse!  Tapering off slow can help to minimize withdrawal effects.  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  This is a guideline and it is ok to adjust this schedule for your own comfort.

Are you familiar with the  Ashton Manual , It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

Here are some helpful links:

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

The Klonopin Klub

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi. Welcome to the site!

Just to say that the Ashton Manual is a good place to start when wishing to withdraw from benzos. However, many buddies have found that the tapering rate she suggests is too fast. If you find this to be the case, do not hesitate to go as slowly as you need. You may find that micro tapering is easier on yourself. There is plenty of information on here telling you about different ways to do that. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the advice and info. It is so great to be here because I feel like the docs don't warn you about these symptoms and they can be terrifying!

Jessi