Permanent Benzo Damage? This Is Not Fun

I think that you will be ok, benzo withdrawl so sucks!

I am on my day four of my detox in hospital

I feel all those feelings that you have and it can take from days to MONTHS to over come these feelings.

I think A LOT of all of our problems are the negitive feelings we have toward the drug itself...

The worst part of the addiction is the fact that even while coming off or even when off the drug the WANT to feel ok by just taking a pill is still there and may still be there forever..

My husband is a 5 year recovering Herion addict. He says he still dreams about getting high, he would never do it again as we have a great life now and he would never do anything to change that but that thoughts, that urge, that want is IN us, I like to think of it this way, everyone around us wants up to get CLEAN but we want to get clean MORE than anyone else could ever want us to !!! But its with in you to be better..

I have found meditation as I am coming off helps a lot

Yoga helps to get me moving through the day its not over doing it but gets me moving

Hot baths when things get WAY to painful to hack it letting the hot water beat on me as I set in the bathtub floor

We are here for you and understand!!!

I am here to talk if you need someone to talk to as I said I am in the hospital coming off my meds now so I have NOTHING to do other than talk lol so I am here!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mi...]

• [zi...]

• [...]

• [Gm...]

Top Posters In This Topic

the headaches are okay better its crazy i have no other symptoms that come with a headache only sensitive to lights and nausea sometimes but if feels like someone is pushing my brain! its sucks  THE THING IS IT COMES AND GOES LIKE CRAZY...

Mikey, I had that too.  I felt like the entire world was pushing down on me or that my brain was about to pop.  I felt like a bobble-head.  It seems like we are really sensitive to gravity and add LIGHT into the mix and the pressure becomes so intense.  I had to turn my room into a cave and shut all the blinds, and when I did go out I wore sunglasses as I'm sure you do already.  It helps a little but not much.  It passes though and gradually your brain learns to build up a tolerance to the light and gravity for that matter.

Inspiring Meditation also helps, because we have endured so much we begin to lose hope and become very negative.  Try to be somewhat positive even though you are filled with rage, anger, and pain.  Slowly you will start to win this battle through positive thoughts and actions.

Ziggy

Ziggy

"Unfortunately everytime we throw a new medication into our system, we end up killing the new GABA receptors that are growing back"

Quote from above...

Has this been proven?   I know others who take meds who still heal or is this just talking about adding meds that act on Gaba receptors?

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!!

This is just a theory.  I am not a doctor.  Obviously any med that acts on Gaba receptors effects a person attempting to heal from benzos, although any med that stimulates the dopamine levels in an unnatural way also play a huge role.  If anyone hasn't experienced a huge surge to either eat, smoke more cigarettes, drink more caffeine, or even have more sex during benzo withdrawal then I would be very surprised.  Obviously these habits are bad, although many of us have noticed that these bad habits have become much much intense during recovery because the brain needs and wants more dopamine.  It takes a lot of strength to hold out and allow the brain to heal in a natural way, which also gives us a chance to replace those bad habits with good habits such as working out and running.  

It has also been my opinion that SSRI's and SNRI's through my experience and several others has hindered our recovery.  Keep in mind each of us are very different and we all have our own path towards recovery.

Sorry to be vague, but I'm not a doctor and nor have I done any controlled tests or studies to prove this.  It has been through my own experience through this journey and having been off and on meds most of my life I began to realize how these drugs effected me and others that are close to me.

Ziggy

I know you are just trying to help Ziggy and I respect your advice from all of the experience you have had from being put on so many of these horrible drugs but, this might make someone who is on both benzos and anti-depressants try to quit both of them at once.

This doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. I am also taking 50 mg Zoloft, and will not attempt to taper it until I am completely free of the Xanax. I don't think my body could handle two tapers at once! Also I did some research online and it doesn't appear that ssris affect the gaba receptors, am I wrong in this?

I know you are just trying to help Ziggy and I respect your advice from all of the experience you have had from being put on so many of these horrible drugs but, this might make someone who is on both benzos and anti-depressants try to quit both of them at once.

This doesn't seem like a wise thing to do. I am also taking 50 mg Zoloft, and will not attempt to taper it until I am completely free of the Xanax. I don't think my body could handle two tapers at once! Also I did some research online and it doesn't appear that ssris affect the gaba receptors, am I wrong in this?

I have never said to get off antidepressants while in a taper.  See below:

I have scene time and time again where Prof Ashton has been wrong with her theory about antidepressants.  Yes they are great while tapering.  However once the taper is done and your brain is trying to heal, the antidepressants seem to interfere.  Plus, her entire point that is displayed over and over again is that the brain needs to heal in a drug free state - So why add antidepressants?  These are both contradictory statements in my opinion.

Again, I'm not a doctor and I am not telling you to stay on or get off.  Just try and analyze the situation and do what you think is best while under the care of a DR.

I would never suggest getting off an antidepressant during a taper.  In fact being on an antidepressant helped me during my taper.  Looking back I couldn't have gotten off an antidepressant until I was 3 months benzo free.  It appears (FOR ME and a FEW OTHERS) that after being benzo free for a while (3 months) --> the antidepressants appeared to make withdrawal symptoms more intense.  The only point I am trying to make is that one should be conscious of what the side effects are of antidepressants and other medications are in post benzo withdrawal when you are a few months off of benzos.  I am NOT telling anyone to get OFF or to stay ON their medication, rather just be aware of the potential side effects of medications that they are taking when they are benzo free.  And always make sure you let a family member and or DR know what your plans are so they can monitor you if you do decide to stay ON or OFF of a medication.

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD ABNORMAL EYE MOVEMENTS MY EYES ARE MOVING BY THEMSELVES.. ITS SCARY

Mikey,

This is one of the most common symptoms...alot of us have had that...or are still having that..

During wd my eyes have twitched...have burned...have had a bit of an electric feeling to them....etc etc

I have had blurry vision as well...this is getting better for me...but early on it was constant....give it some time..it will start to fade

TC

Hi Mikey, eye and vision issues are very common in w/d like TC mentioned. I see floaters all the time and sometimes my vision is blurry as well. Hang in there, it will go away with more time!

the headaches are okay better its crazy i have no other symptoms that come with a headache only sensitive to lights and nausea sometimes but if feels like someone is pushing my brain! its sucks  THE THING IS IT COMES AND GOES LIKE CRAZY...

This is a crazy process.  I had the headaches and sensitivity to lights and actually got nausea for a year prior to tapering and got it after I tapered too.  I am happy to say that I no longer need Nexium for IBS or Acid Indigestion and I too was on this junk since the age of 18.  The pushing on the brain is the worst of them all!  I wanted to drill a hole in my head because the pressure was so intense.  And then it seems to let go at night.  I don't understand because if I stay in a dark room during the day it doesn't let go, and for some reason it has to be night time. 

Stay with it Mikey- you are doing well.  And look you are even writing better and making more sense - so you seem to be healing man.  I remember when I had to copy and paste my posts from Microsoft Word to check my spelling before I could post something because I made no sense whatsoever.  It was really frustrating because a paragraph would take me like 30 minutes to write.  Be well.

Ziggy

I thought I was almost healed then today my vision started going blurry and I havent had the symptom or dealt with blurry vision ever but I know its just a small effect from the poison so we can put To much Stock into this now that we know what it is and I think that will heal you the most

is there anything for cloudy vision or cog fog brain fog i am a mess! seeing more and more auras

stars dots green dots dry nose!

i take fish oil the RX Kind..

Yesterday afternoon nap was scary i started to get zaps in the brain a BIG jolt even i when i woke i started to jump my head moved by itself scary and bizarre

This is a crazy process.  I had the headaches and sensitivity to lights and actually got nausea for a year prior to tapering and got it after I tapered too.  I am happy to say that I no longer need Nexium for IBS or Acid Indigestion and I too was on this junk since the age of 18.  The pushing on the brain is the worst of them all!  I wanted to drill a hole in my head because the pressure was so intense.  And then it seems to let go at night.  I don't understand because if I stay in a dark room during the day it doesn't let go, and for some reason it has to be night time. 

Stay with it Mikey- you are doing well.  And look you are even writing better and making more sense - so you seem to be healing man.  I remember when I had to copy and paste my posts from Microsoft Word to check my spelling before I could post something because I made no sense whatsoever.  It was really frustrating because a paragraph would take me like 30 minutes to write.  Be well.

Ziggy

your right ziggy at night  does let go... thanks for the help bud

Time Mikey.

My tinnitus was about a 7 in loudness when I jumped. 9 months down the road, its about a 2 or 3. the longer I'm off, the better it got.

It takes alot of patience to reverse the chemical alteration done to us.

Mikey, it will get better with time, you just have to hang in there. I know its scary, but its just w/d and it won't hurt you even though it feels horrible. I hope you feel better soon.

Mikey, it will get better with time, you just have to hang in there. I know its scary, but its just w/d and it won't hurt you even though it feels horrible. I hope you feel better soon.

thank you cantwait and gman

I AM IN VERY VERY BAD SHAPE I DON'T WANT TO DO WHERE TO GO I AM SO FKIN LOST IS SERIOUS.

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DOING NOTHING HELP  :idiot: :idiot: :idiot::tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I was on this poison for 8 years strong so if anyone is damaged I should be cause I thought I would just take this and be fine forever but im feeling pretty good about where im at now for a change and im glad that I dont have to rely on a pill to get by thats pretty awesome in itself just takes some time I learned not to look into anything to deeply with this ..........If it was up to me I would be at the Dr everyday..... but I havent been to one in 2 years even through all this madness cause Ive come to expect some bad deals ! Be strong man If I didnt count all my blessings in life I would be in a bad deal ~ Scott

I was on this poison for 8 years strong so if anyone is damaged I should be cause I thought I would just take this and be fine forever but im feeling pretty good about where im at now for a change and im glad that I dont have to rely on a pill to get by thats pretty awesome in itself just takes some time I learned not to look into anything to deeply with this ..........If it was up to me I would be at the Dr everyday..... but I havent been to one in 2 years even through all this madness cause Ive come to expect some bad deals ! Be strong man If I didnt count all my blessings in life I would be in a bad deal ~ Scott

2000-Present GAD I Was Diagnosis

than me and your are like the same i been on this crap since 2004 started really in 2003 in the mayo clinic no i started taking ativan in 2002 than from ativan to xanax 2003 0.5mg low dose but when 2004 hit i took 4mg at once like crazy till 2009 from 2004-2009 i abused the hell out of it than slowly in 2010 i was taking klonopin 2mg to go off the meds 2mg than 1.75 than 1.5 every two weeks and so on than i was in the hospital the assholes gave me more klonopin when i was doing the withdrawal at home they kept on upping the dose on me 2mg for 2weeks

i was seeing all kinds of weird lights lost confused i thought there in the hospital i was going to die

Hey Mikey, just stoping in to say hello...Hope youre feelin even a little bit better.

Arg the evil light show in my eyes, I see you have that too but just to let you know I'm 4 months off xanax now and the light enomolies and auras are slowly starting to disipate, its still here but is fading, I hope youres does the same in time.

Still wishing you lots of luck, youre a trooper keep it up man youre doing great and all this will be a memorie one day.

Kc Lee

Time Mikey.

My tinnitus was about a 7 in loudness when I jumped. 9 months down the road, its about a 2 or 3. the longer I'm off, the better it got.

my answer that wasn't tinnitus what i had it was a vibe in my brain my head shook a couple of times its hell

Are you sleeping or are you anxious?  I remember still being anxious and getting adrenaline attacks at your stage.  Then the anxiety went and was replaced by fatigue and detachment.  I think the detachment is a way for the brain to detach.   

Ziggy

Time Mikey.

my answer that wasn't tinnitus what i had it was a vibe in my brain my head shook a couple of times its hell

I am just using my symptom as a reference so you can understand time is healing me.

:'( >:( more health problems my right side is in pain gallbladder pain belching like crazy bloated like crazy  2010 for me really sucks its getting worse and worse i want to do a liver/gallbladder flush ept salt and olive oil maybe i have gallstones everytime i eat i feel queasy and bloated/burping like crazy

Mikey,

I am not sure what a liver flush or gallbladder flush it...I am assuming it is some sort of detox for those organs and I am not saying it is a bad thing, but benzo withdrawal is benzo withdrawal.....time is the true healer....

TC

Sorry Mikey, I also have the insomnia. I will sleep pretty good for a while, then wham have a day where I get no sleep at all. The withdrawals mess with my sleep too on occasion now. Hope it improves for you soon.