Anti-Biotics?

[Bo...]

HI.. I am 9 months off and still have symptoms.. I have this brutal cough that will not go away. I have taken cough drops and robitusin.. not doing much.. Wondering if an anti-biotic would be OK to deal with this while in w/d? Thanks. God Bless, Bob

Hi Bob,

I found this for you:

ANTIBIOTICS DURING BENZO WITHDRAWAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Ashton added to her manual in 2007 and one of the issues mentions antibiotics:

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM PROFESSOR ASHTON

Professor Ashton would like to draw attention to the following points which are mentioned in the manual but not always heeded by doctors or patients:

Antibiotics for some reason, sometimes seem to aggravate withdrawal symptoms. However, one class of antibiotics, the quinolones, actually displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites on GABA-receptors. These can precipitate acute withdrawal in people taking or tapering from benzodiazepines. It may be necessary to take antibiotics during benzodiazepine withdrawal but if possible the quinolones should be avoided. (There are at least six different quinolones - ask your doctor if in doubt).

C. H. Ashton, January 2007"

Hi Bob,

I have been coughing for 26 months and it stems from my sinuses.  Does your nose ever run?  Or do you cough up phlegm?  It may be one of the w/d symptoms.  It is a lousy symptom.  You may pm me if you need further info.....I may not be able to find this blog again (LOL).

Patty  xo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

If there is any way you can go without taking them I would. I was off of benzos for almost a year and a half when I got a urinary tract infection which turned into a kidney infection. I was prescribed Bactrim and had a return of withdrawal symptoms full force. When I complained of this I was then prescribed Cipro (which was ridiculous). Things got REALLY bad and that is when I had to get back on Ativan...for 3 months! It was a horrible experience and this is the reason that I am going through what I am right now. I have had a recurrence of urinary infections since but have found a feasible herbal remedy. Anyway, you are probably over your cough at this point but just thought I would post this anyway. Wishing you the best:)

Meej

I have asked close to the same question as you and if at all possible Amoxacillin is a good one I heared when in Benzo WD and I heared to stay away from Cipro and another one that starts with an F

hope this helps

Bob, the group of antibiotics to stay away from are the flouroquinolones such as Levaquin and Cipro.  i had no problem with amoxycillin.

Patty  xo

• 2 weeks later...