My 2 cents on depression

[co...]

Just a rant... tired of people telling other people to just wait it out. It's unsafe and irresponsible.

Personally, and others will have their own opinions, depression is depression and whether you triggered it because of withdrawal or you had it before and it became worse because of withdrawal, it is still depression. You need to treat it. However you do that is completely up to you but depression does not just miraculously get better... it often gets worse with time, and sometimes much worse.

Learned helplessness, hopelessness, and despair are direct results of a damaged psyche. I've done a lot of research these past two years; do whatever you need to do to get respite and stop asking strangers on a forum who have no clue what your life situations are for help in this regard. Depression is not just feeling tired, it's feeling like you can't or don't want to go on day after day. Good luck....

Just a rant... tired of people telling other people to just wait it out. It's unsafe and irresponsible.

Personally, and others will have their own opinions, depression is depression and whether you triggered it because of withdrawal or you had it before and it became worse because of withdrawal, it is still depression. You need to treat it. However you do that is completely up to you but depression does not just miraculously get better... it often gets worse with time, and sometimes much worse.

Learned helplessness, hopelessness, and despair are direct results of a damaged psyche. I've done a lot of research these past two years; do whatever you need to do to get respite and stop asking strangers on a forum who have no clue what your life situations are for help in this regard. Depression is not just feeling tired, it's feeling like you can't or don't want to go on day after day. Good luck....

Normally, the advice would be to get treatment for depression and that might be medication, talking therapy or both.  It can be very difficult to engage with therapy during withdrawal when emotions and thinking may be hugely disrupted.  Adding in medication can complicate matters during benzodiazepine withdrawal and that is why the advice is to try to wait it out. I think we all recognise that depression can be severe during withdrawal as it can be at any other time, the difficulty really is what to do about it.  It is entirely up to each person if they want to take medication but it should be done knowing the risks involved with that.  People here give the best advice they can but at the end of the day we all make our own decisions about what to do.

How have you treated yours?

I have tried many things but nothing to date has come close to providing remission. Unfortunately not everyone has a happy ending with a mood disorder. Seek professional guidance.

How have you treated yours?

I have tried many things but nothing to date has come close to providing remission. Unfortunately not everyone has a happy ending with a mood disorder. Seek professional guidance.

Colley, I have read your opening post and what you have described there.  I see you started off with work stress and anxiety.  This led to so many medications, I can scarcely believe it.  You were given two diagnostic labels which you say you have internalised.  This is very common.

I had epilepsy over 40 years ago, prescribed Nitrazepam, paradoxical reaction, attempted suicide, started seeing psychiatrists, internalised what they said, believed I had a lifelong condition "depression", consumed Nitrazepam 40 years, A/Ds 35 years because I believed what they said. Now off all medication, nothing wrong with my mental health.  I strongly suspect I recovered many many years ago but that was masked by the medication I was consuming.

There is every possibility of recovery, please believe that, from (1) withdrawal and (2) depression.  I wish I had known 30 years ago what I know now. I might have had a chance at life instead of a lifetime on drugs.

you say seek professional guidance, but also be very very wary of professional guidance, they can get it so very wrong.

I have to difirenciate between depression and WD depression -chemical imbalances or stress from tapering...

My treatment is to taper off meds, and recognise it for what it really is...

Much to the disbelief of the Drs, I Didnt get much depression from the accident, though some sure wanted to make the shoe fit... I was nearly convinced several times.. I explored the subject with my good psychologist, she agreed.. -no meds needed.. (unless I wanted them ofcorse..)

I certainty have never had depression or anxiety prior... I had to look for definitions..!!

So for me, best to understand it and wait it out...

Even now I am starting to bounce back from some pretty crappy things as a healthy person would..

-Not to say that there arent other psychological areas I have isseus with... -Lack of emotion being one...

A very individual situation for everyone...

I quite agree - depression is not a matter of pep-talk platitudes. "You'll be fine" doesn't cut it. It's really ugly business, not to be taken lightly. Indeed the day / day thing is a real crisis - I do know something about that.

"Professionals" will put you on meds that will ruin your life in the medium/long term. That is good for them because you'll be a patient all your life, but not for you. I.e. your interests and theirs are not the same and this is very dangerous.

Depression due to work is cured by changing the work you do or the job you have, not by taking meds. But no professional will tell you that. On the contrary, they will reinforce your fears and encourage you to try to see things positively even if for that you need to be drugged (or, at the best, subjected to expensive and time consuming therapy sessions).

In my opinion, the best remedy to work depression is to say #$%& off and change your life. Try it, it's liberating!