Does the depression just go away?

[go...]

I see people saying symptoms come and go but does the really severe long lasting depression just clear up. I'm coming up on 3 months of quite severe crippling depression, no windows or anything. Does that type just go away sometimes?

I think most say it goes away meaning it requires no medical intervention. However, I do believe you have to work on it for it to go away. Meaning you cant just sit around the house hoping you wont be depressed one day. I've realized that you have to do the very things you DO NOT want to do to become less depressed. Get up, get dressed, carry on with you life as much as possible and slowly it becomes easier and easier. Fake it til you make it, so to speak.

In short, it goes away, but you have to be proactive in battling it.

I think most say it goes away meaning it requires no medical intervention. However, I do believe you have to work on it for it to go away. Meaning you cant just sit around the house hoping you wont be depressed one day. I've realized that you have to do the very things you DO NOT want to do to become less depressed. Get up, get dressed, carry on with you life as much as possible and slowly it becomes easier and easier. Fake it til you make it, so to speak.

In short, it goes away, but you have to be proactive in battling it.

:thumbsup:    ***  MOST EXCELLENT POST ***    :thumbsup:

It does go away, at least the dark, hopeless depression that's chemically induced by all of this. It has lifted at least twice for me, so I know it's temporary. I am still very much depressed about the situation, but the W/D depression is definitely one of many symptoms of this hell.

It's best to stay busy and distracted. If I'm out and about, it helps keep my mind off of this.

I thought I was depressed for months 1,2,3,4 but I realise now I had a pretty natural low mood when considering all the other shitty symptoms I was experiencing. Months 5,6,7 have shown me what real depression is. It's constant and crushing and all you see if finality and sadness in everything. It is so severe I find it hard to reconcile it will just go away.

I thought I was depressed for months 1,2,3,4 but I realise now I had a pretty natural low mood when considering all the other shitty symptoms I was experiencing. Months 5,6,7 have shown me what real depression is. It's constant and crushing and all you see if finality and sadness in everything. It is so severe I find it hard to reconcile it will just go away.

Have you gone to talk therapy? Tried natural remedies like Sam-E? Vitamin B? C?  Exercise? Walking? Does anything ease it?

Do you have a history of depression before this?

My depression lifted around month four. At least the debilitating feelings where I couldn't function. I also used an AD which now I would not recommend but that's just my personal experience with it. I wish I never would have touched an AD but I was desperate and didn't know what I was going through was caused by the Ativan. I had other factors against me too; overstressed, smoking too much, mid life changes, perimenopause, it was the perfect storm so to speak.

You have to look at the big picture of what was going on before your depression started, why you went on benzos in the first place, etc.

I am about four months since quitting klonopin, 16 weeks today. I am still having some depression. I definitely have a loss of interest in things I once found enjoyable and am having a hard time finding joy and happiness from any situation. I have tried a number of things to improve this over the past month.

1. Walking a couple miles a day but no hard exercise

2. Eating better--no fast food, less sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine

3. Trying to keep a positive mindset and stay distracted, but I'm finding this hard

4. Also, taking a multivitamin

I'm not sure how long-term this is going to be or if it is going to be long-term at all. I'm hoping it eases up this month. I have an appointment with a new therapist on Monday, so I hope that helps. I really don't want to jump on an AD, as I feel I wasn't depressed like this before.

• 2 weeks later...
I’m 13 months out and have been thrown into a wave where dark deep depression and despair are my predominant symptoms. Everything looks hopeless, it feels like the end of the world. Yet 10 days ago I had a 3 day window and I felt great, I was really happy and just felt normal. Nothing in my life has changed at all in that time yet my perception has shifted from one extreme to the other. Depression is the worst, these dark thoughts are tormenting but they will go, I was never like this before, I just want to feel normal again and be able to be apart of life again.

Any depression has to be treatened. There are several ways and I am totally against antidepressants or other meds. Tried it. Did not work at all.

Thats whats helping in my eyes:

1. Sit it out. In case its possible to you, continue with your life, do not focus on it, focus on things that make you feel good

2. When its getting worse, talk about it, see a therapist, do behavioral therapy (which I prefer because its pragmatic and teaches you strategies)

3. When suicidal thoughts are getting worse, call emergency lines or go to a hospital. The most important thing is to save your life. You can restart the other day then

4. In my case suicidal thoughts and depression were so horrible and therapy could not fix anything - I simply had to accept to having these thoughts and survive day by day. In those protacted cases there is also hope.

The most important thing in depression is to create hope. Hope does not come from the outside, we have to build it up ourselves. Which is hard to do, when your brain cannot create good feelings any more. Its a decision, day by day, minute after minute. There are different ways how people can come out of depression and every single one is right. Some need to talk. Some need exercising. Others are to weak to move but still can connect to a pet.

The most important thing to me was a kind of stubbornity the thought "I DESERVE a better life - and I will not leave this planet until I get it". But that was just me. I had 5 tough years.. Now I would consider myself to 100% depression-free.