Brain Zaps. Is it W/D or something else?

[ge...]

Hi,

I'm about 5 and 1/2 weeks C/T.  This has been a brutal ride.  I get these debilitating brain zaps, where my brain feels like it is being electrocuted.  It lasts about 1hr to 3 hours.  I get one right when I wake up and sometimes again at noon.  Then in the afternoon and evening I get a wave of a low level brain zap about every 3 hours. 

My family wants me to get a brain scan (to rule out any medical issues).  What can I tell them?

I took about 20 doses of Valium (2.5MG) and about 20 does of Xanax (2.5-5MG).  This was post gallbladder surgery.

Thank you,

I still have sensitivity to sound, light and heat (but it is less).  I get abdominal cramps, they are getting less.  Sometimes I have some issues with balance and when I stand up I get light headed.  I get intrusionary thoughts in the morning (less than before).  I had some pain/cramps around my knees in the morning.  I had intense fear but it is less.

Right now I can barely do anything.  I go for a short walk in the morning and stay home the rest of the day.  I've tried to do more but I end up in bed for long stretches for a couple days (with intense brain zaps).   

Hi, the kind of symptoms you're describing are quite common after a cold turkey.  That's why we usually suggest not cold turkeying.  After my c/t, I had brain zaps on and off every day for several months, but they eventually went away.  You're 5 weeks off, which, unfortunately is early days yet.  These things will eventually go away, but how long that will take can't really be predicted in advance.

I agree with Megan. Brain zaps are common. I know how uncomfortable they are, as I had them too. Awful and very scary to feel your brain is so out of control!

Keep in mind this: your brain is constantly working to repair itself. Benzo withdrawal causes a huge shift in the chemicals, etc., that help our brains work well. Those things WILL right themselves, but sometimes it just takes time.  Going through WD can be extremely difficult and challenging, but - and I promise you this is the truth - if you get through it without reinstating, you will find yourself a lot healthier and happier!

Megan & Buddie,

What do you suggest as a course of action? 

Right now I am trying to remain as calm as possible so that my central nervous system can calm down and heal.  I am going for walks when I can, watching Netflix, and helping in the garden in the evening when it cools down.  Can you think of anything I am missing?

Thank you in advance :)

I have them too, 3 months CT and I feel like they get worse after I eat. Sometimes i panic and i feel like rushing to the hospital but this too shall pass.

Afromann,

What do you do with your time?  Can you still work? Do you go out of the house when you getting moderate brain zaps?  Does the stimulation make them worse the next day?

Megan,

What did you do with your time when you were getting the brain zaps? 

When they are not intense, they are just at a constant level where I feel restless.  I want to do things but I don't want to make things worse.