Study, Jun/18: Survey of the effects of ramelteon on benzodiazepine-dependence

[La...]

It appears to be a non-GABA medication for sleep. Still, though, it has the potential for various side effects and interactions with other medications.

That's it. There are always interactions, and benzos don't work well with other medications. A person with insomnia would probably take it nightly. It sounds like a double-edged sword, but I'd probably like to try it if I had insomnia. That's a very difficult symptom to take for those who have it.

My understanding is that there really is no medication that can induce a normal type of sleep. I think it might be okay to take something once in awhile if it's really bad, but any reliance on a sleep medication likely makes it harder for your own body to normalize. I'd try all of the non-medication options first.

A drug only masks the symptoms. I wonder if there would be a rebound effect if a person decided to stop taking it. Maybe Valerian Root. I don't know. I didn't have insomnia, but reading some posts from people who have, it sounds as if they're going through hell. And dealing with benzo withdrawal is hard enough without having to battle the sleep issue. I'm on the fence about this. Time to hear from some people who have had insomnia.

Valerian also acts on GABA, so it wouldn't necessarily be a good option. Other herbs do as well, e.g. passion flower, skullcap, kava kava.