Can being on a diet and feeling intensely hungry be mistaken 4 panic/anxiety?

[Am...]

Question is pretty much in the title.

I'm currently on a diet and missed breakfast can this either cause anxiety or being it on?

Thanks for any replies

It depends on what you usually feel during anxiety attacks.  For me, when I had anxiety attacks, I would feel nauseous, have choking feeling in my throat, my stomach would hurt, etc. These are probably the same feelings you get during a diet, when your blood sugar

is going up and down.  So, yes, I would say feeling intensely hungry could be mistaken for anxiety, especially if nausea is one of your

main symptoms (as it was for me). 

It's now progressed to an almost phobic take on food it's worth mentioning I'm diabetic too and have panic disorder but have never felt this way about food before that it's going to cause me this big huge anxiety attack so I eat it gingerly and then wonder if I feel panic in that moment. I realise I'm being completely irrational I just wanted to know if this would make me feel ten times worse than I already do and eating some calories could really benefit me. I'll have to force the food down I can't just not eat at all it's nonsense

It's now progressed to an almost phobic take on food it's worth mentioning I'm diabetic too and have panic disorder but have never felt this way about food before that it's going to cause me this big huge anxiety attack so I eat it gingerly and then wonder if I feel panic in that moment. I realise I'm being completely irrational I just wanted to know if this would make me feel ten times worse than I already do and eating some calories could really benefit me. I'll have to force the food down I can't just not eat at all it's nonsense

Unless you are on a diet for medical reasons this is no time to diet.  You and your body are going to be under enough stress.  Eat healthy food but eat enough to keep from feeling any stress about a diet.  You are going to need all your energy, keep us posted, go have a bite to eat :)

Agree with Mary--especially if you're diabetic, you probably don't want to mess with your diet during a taper.  Benzos wreak havoc on blood sugar--in the early stages of my taper, I subsisted largely on protein shakes because I was so nauseous but had HUGE appetite

(had to eat something). 

Interesting thank you all. Think my anxiety got the better of me. Feeling my stomach rumbling felt like panic then when had nothing to eat my stomach felt too full

I always feel like I'm going crazy with panic if I don't eat often enough! Then I eat and feel absolutely fine,,blood sugar crashes are awful

I heard blood sugar is key to maintaining optimal cognition. Low insulin levels can definitely mimic withdrawals or exacerbation of them.

Same boat as you. Hope you recover soon.  :smitten:

Thing is with me I need to lose weight I've been told as much. I've had many health benefits physically from doing this but it seems to have really took it out of me mentally

Yes, hunger absolutely can be mistaken for anxiety.  I think I was mistaking my hunger for anxiety for years while I was on benzos. 

I've always know the correlation between these two, if I don't eat I get in a state of panic, but a couple of cheeseburgers or a frozen pizza do bring me down; I've even used a pack of sweet bread and that is a sure way to come down. Needless to say this is bad advice, as in withdrawal healthy food is a must; but you are not alone on this one.

I have lost the ability to feel full at all, my brain thinks I have never eaten anything and it creates a constant state of panic so I would say yes. It is hell! I have to fight it all day every day.