Does a C/T take longer to heal when you’re in tolerance withdrawal?

[He...]

I’m at a year since my C/T and I’m wondering if I could have been in tolerance withdrawal and my C/T permanently damaged me. Any feedback or reassurance is appreciated, I’m really struggling.

I honestly was not aware that SSRI meds could have a tolerance withdrawal. In fact, I am not sure they do, but if someone here knows better, please speak up. I DO know that getting off AD's can be very difficult. When I went cld turkey off Klonapin and Ambien I also went off two major anti depressants. There is no way for me to know how much of my miserable symptoms were from what drug or a combination of them all. I just knew I felt awful, crazy and felt ready to just give up. I am so glad I didnt.

Whatever. I know getting off AD's can be bad. I would imagine the same things that work for benzo WD would work. Distraction, relaxation and whatever else you can do to get your mind off how you feel. Good luck and never give up.

Why do you imply tolerance withdrawal from anything would cause permanent damage?

Everybody here says it, symptoms feel very permanent. When you go through months of seemingly status quo, it is hard to believe things will ever change. And the further ahead you are, the more difficult it can get... I can totally relate.

BUT trust neuroplasticity. Trust that your brain is busy doing what it needs to do to repair this mess. Some say the emotional blunting is the brain's/CNS's way of protecting us. Your brain knows anhedonia is not a "natural" mode, things will get switched on again for you, you need to keep going trusting that it is happening!

Trust those who have healed (or are well into recovery) and say that distraction is what it takes!

Your brain knows anhedonia is not a "natural" mode, things will get switched on again for you, you need to keep going trusting that it is happening!

Has it happened for you?

Your brain knows anhedonia is not a "natural" mode, things will get switched on again for you, you need to keep going trusting that it is happening!

Has it happened for you?

I'm not quite there yet, although there might have been tiny signs here and there... this can take a lot of time. I was polydrugged with 4 different meds (2 ADs and 2 benzos), daily for 13 years. But I have faith in our brains  :thumbsup:

Only 13 months out, so not much ahead of you...

We will get there, Hellbutrin  :thumbsup:

Why do you imply tolerance withdrawal from anything would cause permanent damage?

Everybody here says it, symptoms feel very permanent. When you go through months of seemingly status quo, it is hard to believe things will ever change. And the further ahead you are, the more difficult it can get... I can totally relate.

BUT trust neuroplasticity. Trust that your brain is busy doing what it needs to do to repair this mess. Some say the emotional blunting is the brain's/CNS's way of protecting us. Your brain knows anhedonia is not a "natural" mode, things will get switched on again for you, you need to keep going trusting that it is happening!

Trust those who have healed (or are well into recovery) and say that distraction is what it takes!

This is a really great post, and thank you! I put it in simpler terms, but its the same thing. The brain is amazing in its ability to heal. The chemicals have to get back into balance, new connections formed and made, and given enough time, it will heal. There isnt much evidence to show that permanent damage can happen after getting off benzos. There is only a bit of evidence and it isnt very convincing. I prefer to think this rarely, if ever, happens. All I have to do is recall how horrible my own WD was and how long it lasted. And yet here I am, 6 years later, healthier than ever before and quite sane. I took large doses (I both used AND abused-) opf various benzos over a 30 year time span. The last 12 years, I was on Klonapin 6 mgs, Ambien 10-20 mgs, plus two antidepressants. And then went cold turkey. NOT a good situation but I truly am grateful I was forced to get off. I could not see by then the immense damage benzos were causing me. I now know that benzos can mimic many other diseases, and many people are misdiagnosed. I know I was!

Once I was through the worst few years after my CT, my health slowly began to improve. What a relief to know I did not have MS, Lou Gehrigs and all the other things I was told I had. Towards the end of my use of all those drugs, I was SO ill I seriously considering going into a nursinig home!

Yes, if u sustained seizures, damage could be real and potentially permanent. I’m 7 months off CT. Sustained seizures that left me with numbness in my willy that roll hasn’t returned. Constant tinnitus and hyperacusis.