Back to Hell for Me 42 Hours awake

[Ma...]

Well its all back again, Awake forever and no signs anymore the Nyquil helps...guess that just means one thing...time to curl up and die, I see no other thing to do since the Nyquil is not helping, unless I go back to ativan

That's pretty bad Mark, I hope you get some sleep soon. I just had brutal wave where I slept about 4 hours over a period of 5 nights. The anxiety and physical discomfort gets pretty extreme. Have you found any way to relax? Like with meditation, progressive muscle relaxation etc? I found during extreme periods of insomnia I get so anxious and depressed that I will not even bother to try these, thinking there's no way they'll work. But I found if I force myself to do them, or if someone else forces me to do them, I do feel a bit of relief. Sometimes it takes quite awhile.

I hope you're able to sleep a bit soon and please don't die :)

Hi Mark,

I am a newbie coming off Diazepam from Ativan. First of all congratulations for getting off.

My mother has bouts of insomnia following an allergic drug reaction and trauma from that, so I’ve done quite a bit of research about it. From your post, I guess you’re well familiar with this sx. 

Firstly, it’s obviously very distressing and one of the most difficult things to deal with for many reasons.  Do you actually feel tired, but can’t get off to sleep, or do you snap awake and can’t get back off?  I am sure you will know about being wired before bedtime or ver6 anxious about not sleeping and I won’t lecture you!

Some of the recommendations for insomnia are as follows:

Don’t lie in bed if you can’t sleep.  Try and get up and do something/anything

Accept that sleep is an issue right now and try not to become extremely anxious about this. Easier said than done I know.

Have a warm bath before bed.

Don’t use your bedroom or bed for anything other than sleep - or trying to sleep.

Keep it cool, dark and no electronic devices.

Use a fan or white noise machine if you must have some noise.

Go downstairs and potter about rather than stay upstairs.

Read something extremely boring until a feeling of tiredness occurs.

Apply soothing balms to your feet and temples.

Don’t exercise before bed.

Don’t eat for at least two hours before bed.

Don’t watch television at least an hour before bed.

I am sure you know many, if not all of these. I don’t know your work situation and how functional you are on a daily basis right now, but I know it’s not uncommon for insomnia to strike several times during withdrawal and recovery.  I am sure you’ve seen the threads.

My mother just gets up and starts knitting or reading! The insomnia goes when she stops thinking about it.  Organic cherry juice helps her and she tries to do as much as she can during the day to physically wear herself out. Magnesium spray on the tummy is another.

I don’t know what helps you relax, but if you have someone who can give you a massage that might help.  Going back on the Ativan is very tempting, but can you hold on to see if this settles? It did before. Keep telling yourself it will!

Sending you best wishes for the return of your sleep.

Mrs Bxxx

Thanks but I guess FINALLY I pased out for 5-6 hours if that, one of my Issues is trying to sleep overnight before the sun comes up because then Ihalf the time I never get to sleep, though I put Layers of a few blankets over my windown so that most light cannot enter if indeed I needed to sleep during day

7 months off the ativan though you would think hey thats enough time to heal why is all this coming back again after I was sleeping decent though I was on nyquil back to the begining where I cannot sleep at all

Though I slept I still yawning alot and feel tired, probably cause 5-6 hours does not nearly make up for being up so long