Drugs that Affect GABA

Does anyone know if there is a list of all drugs that affect GABA-A receptors?  We all know about alcohol, z-drugs, barbiturates, corticosteroids, etc.  But I have been doing research and finding all sorts of stuff from hair treatments to anti-fungal medications that have direct impact on the GABA-A BZD receptors. 

I'd like to know too...adding this comment so I can follow thread...hope we hear from others...

I suspect the list is long...especially if one includes supplements

i have read that Valerian root and kava are not good because they act on the gaba system

i have also read that Tylenol reduces serotonin and it is my understanding that we need the serotonin right now.  not sure how accurate this is but throwing it out there.

Wikipedia has a whole list herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_agonist.

I lightly believe that NSAIDS are best avoided; I can't remember where, but searching for "gaba antagonist" would probably lead to it.  I avoid them and my withdrawals are less severe than they have been in the past when tapering. 

Kava kava and valerian root interact with the same receptors that Klonopin does.  I think the advice to avoid them is based on not prolonging the withdrawal, and letting our brains get back to normal whatever that is.  I'm using both now, because my psychiatrist is more interested in getting me off the drug than she is in doing it reasonably (see my sig).

I'm interested in picamilion but you have to order it online and for me there's a barrier there: for me, my biggest fear is that I'll start ordering Soma online which ends up doing practically the same thing as benzos (research "meprobamate").

There's this stuff that you can get at health stores called "phenibut" which may be helpful.

For herbals remedies, avoid tinctures in alcohol as alcohol also binds to GabaA receptors but is a stupid, messy drug. 

I'm not actually recommending anything to anybody here (except avoid alcohol!) but these are things I've tried.  They all help, but I can tell you that when the withdrawals really roar, and the twitches and the 120+ hearbeat with palpitations start, and you can't sleep for 3 days (longest I've gone without going to doc with a story), they do nothing.

This isn't really an answer to your question, but I can tell you something that has helped me: there is a muscle relaxant called Zanaflex.  It's nothing like a benzo, but it is a) a REALLY good muscle relaxant and b) extremely sedating.  Just avoid Soma!!!

HTH

Rick

A couple examples:

- We have discovered that finasteride (propecia), a common pill for prostate disorders and hair loss, suppresses a powerful neurohormone in the brain called allopregnanolone.  This hormone acts as a strong modulator at the GABA-A benzodiazepine receptor, which may be used by the brain to repair damage from benzos.

- Ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral dandruff shampoo, is a "neutral ligand" on the GABA-A receptor.  They use this stuff to counteract benzos in lab studies.

- Drugs that block calcium channels increase the activity of glutamic acid, which can alter GABA function.  

There's this stuff that you can get at health stores called "phenibut" which may be helpful.

Phenibut is powerful stuff and has its own withdrawal issues.  I would stay far away from that.

The fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin, etc.) are known to bind to and block GABA receptors (which, among other things, displaces benzos from these receptors, which is why they are contraindicated in benzo users).

Archae

ryan--

perhaps I was a bit manic this morning when I wrote all that.  I don't really know what "may be helpful."  Kava kava seems to work for me but I can't prove if it's that, or if it's just a placebo effect, or if it's me trying to be self-sufficient when I'm really not.

I've read that chamomile acts on the GABA system as well but it's very gentle and I'm not sure if it affects our healing in any way, but I don't like how it makes me feel so I steer clear of it for now. I've also read that Passionflower enhances GABA but can be hallucinatory, and anything that is possibly hallucinogenic, IMO should be avoided, withdrawal or not.

I think Taurine supplements should be avoided during benzo withdrawal because it's similar in structure and function to GABA. But otherwise it seems to create a sort of euphoria at low doses.

I read earlier that GABA supps can indeed cross the blood brain barrier, but I'm rather iffy on this one. As far as GABA in food, the way I see it, why would God put something in a food if it's not going to be available to our bodies?

fullof hope

you say avoid?? soma??? umm.. my natureopath, just put me on a natural supplement called SomniTR for sleep.. has melatonin, it in, forskohlii, lactium, pantethine in it.. im only on day 2  using this, to help my sleep, cuz my sleep is not good these days!! :sick:

so wondering if this is almost like the same product? and why avoid it?

hope

Soma is a prescription muscle relaxant.  The generic name is "carisoprodol".  It can be addicting.  One can have withdrawal symptoms if the drug is not tapered off.  Look it up on Google for the whole story.

Cupcake-Intersting about the chamomile...How does it make u feel now.....I had some and it made me anxious, but it might of been a mental thing cause i'm so scared to introduce things back to my body after benzos :'(

I haven't had it since. I thought about trying it again being as not much of anything is making me worse now, not even my monthly or a cold.

Wow thats awsome cupcake i' sure you would do ok if yu intriduced it back. That gives me hope that the flareups will go away with the monthly and a cold ect since it did for you...... :)

I drink camomile all the time...just because I like it...

does nothing except be a nice soothing hot drink...

when it's warm I ice it...

there have been clinical studies that show it does supposedly help mild anxiety...but it's not a potent herb at all...whether it works on GABA I don't know.

when I googled it there are lots of references but most of them are wondering like we are or it again says it's very mild....

I'm not worried for myself, but it's worth knowing about as everyone has different sensitivities and you, cupcake may have discovered that for you it's a no no

i have read that Valerian root and kava are not good because they act on the gaba system

i have also read that Tylenol reduces serotonin and it is my understanding that we need the serotonin right now.  not sure how accurate this is but throwing it out there.

Hi rhino,

I take a lot of "natural" supplements and remedies, that I'm hoping WILL act on my GABA receptors. 

The way I see it....my GABA receptors have been injured or altered from the benzos.  And the thing that injured my receptors was a synthetic chemical -- a drug.  So in my mind, something that is natural can help me recover.   This is often true of many synethetic things like hormones.  The synethics can cause problems, but natural doesn't. 

I know that many here at BB like to stay away from anything that will affect their receptors.  We all have to see what works for us.  It's also true that many herbs and supplements can have a big effect, so one needs to try these things judiciously.   

I took kava a LOT during the first 6 months off -- for anxiety, and to relax.  I reserved it for the worst times when I needed some big help.  The quality of kava varies though so need to find a high-quality one. 

I also use amino acids (building blocks of protein that we eat every day) to help my GABA receptors and relax -- mostly taurine and glutamine.  The taurine really helps my burning feet and legs and helps me relax.  Not really sure about the glutamine.  They're both GABA precursors. 

I also use a lot of theanine (amino acid).  And drink a lot of green tea everyday, which contains theanine.  It's very relaxing for me. 

I've also tried a variety of herbs like valerian root and such.  Many of them didni't work.  Strong chamomile tea does work for me though....it's subtle. 

That all being said, I think it's important to work on our lifestyle, and fix any life situations that might be CAUSING anxiety in the first place.  Right? 

adelia

A couple examples:

- We have discovered that finasteride (propecia), a common pill for prostate disorders and hair loss, suppresses a powerful neurohormone in the brain called allopregnanolone.  This hormone acts as a strong modulator at the GABA-A benzodiazepine receptor, which may be used by the brain to repair damage from benzos.

- Ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral dandruff shampoo, is a "neutral ligand" on the GABA-A receptor.  They use this stuff to counteract benzos in lab studies.

- Drugs that block calcium channels increase the activity of glutamic acid, which can alter GABA function.  

does this mean that finasteride is bad for us

hopeforthebest10--

It's already been mentioned that soma (cariprosidol) is a prescription muscle relaxant, so you aren't dealing with that.

Soma's issue, which you can fine online, is that the first thing that your liver does with it is turns it into something called meprobamate, which is a sedative or something that doctors apparently don't prescribe anymore.

My reason for saying to avoid it is that I once tapered from 3mg Klonopin per day down to 0 in about a month with no withdrawal symptoms other than some elevated alertness.  At the time, I was also taking Ambien every night and Soma 4x per day.  The Ambien and the Soma masked my benzo withdrawals almost completely.  The problem is that when I had to get off Soma, I was in agony and that's when I started abusing the benzos and the Ambien.

3MG->0 in 4 weeks?  No way in hell could I do that now with nothing more than "increased alertness"...I can't even imagine it.

does this mean that finasteride is bad for us

I don't know if it is or not.  I know a few of us on here have stopped taking it.  I am seeing a doctor who thinks it is wise not to take it right now.  Anecdotally, there are at least 4 of us on this board who have been taking finasteride, who were all on relatively small doses of benzos, and who all seem to be having a very tough time recovering.  That's all the evidence I need at this point.

Hey Colin,

I know we haven't had the best relationship, but I'd like you to consider moving this thread back to the main category.  This is an issue I am very concerned about during withdrawal and for good reason.  Many of us have been taking medications/supplements/etc that directly impact the brain receptors trying to heal from this ordeal.  I am not talking speculation here, I am referring to medical facts that are well documented in science.  It seems clear to me that the old list of "drugs to avoid during withdrawal" is incomplete and with all the bad reactions and setbacks reported due to unknowing usage of some of these substances, I think it is paramount to discuss.  This topic is too important to push to an obscure category that is rarely viewed by the users of this forum.

Thanks for considering my request.

-Ryan

Hi Ryan

I've reread your opening post to this thread, and so have other members of the team - this thread does not fit the purpose of the General Withdrawal Support board. However, I will move this thread back this time, but please try to frame future threads for the GWS board in terms of withdrawal support.

We created Chewing the Fat board so that people could discuss more difficult benzodiazepine issues, but without being hindered by issues of "support". Some benzodiazepine topics are completely unsuitable for a support area of the forum, potentially heightening members' anxieties.

As is usually the way with a new board, we need to feel our way around with it a bit. I anticipate that that we will alter the board description and sticky post at the top of Chewing the Fat board as the board develops. It is certainly not our intention for Chewing the Fat to be an "obscure" part of the forum. Developing new boards and moving threads is just about keeping the forum organised so that members and visitors can more readily find the kind of posts they seek.

Colin.

Thank you, Colin. 

Another entry: Lidocaine.  This is interesting too because I had a flare up recently after some local numbing at my doctor's office and didn't know why.  Seems like everything gets to me these days.