Update on nearly two years benzo free! Life is better than ever!

[Kl...]

My story is in my signature but I did a rapid taper/cold turkey withdrawal from 1mg klonopin nearly two years ago.

I can still remember the physical and psychological hell I was in and it ranks as one of the worst experiences of my entire life.

It took me so much longer to fully heal than I ever could have imagined. I think the final push to fully healing came from doing a keto diet then switching to paleo. Something permanently became messed up with my body's ability to handle carbs after stopping klonopin. Maybe something to do with the gaba receptors in my gut? But when I eat carbs, even what people would consider healthy carbs, I bloat, become depressed and my pain levels become intense.

I now suffer from severe neuropathy with no underlying diagnosis. I treat this by using a TENS unit. The pain existed when I was on klonopin but I just didn't notice because I was a zombie.

Since stopping klonopin the zombie state I lived in is gone. The first year was hard to adjust as I was awakened into a world where I hadn't noticed what a disaster everything in my life was. My house was disgustingly dirty, my hygiene was bad, I had no hobbies or social life, I was mediocre at work. I truly was going through the motions of day to day life, only looking forward to my next klonopin dose at night.

I learned to take care of myself since stopping klonopin. I even fulfilled my dream of getting a dog! And I'm an incredible owner (he gets at least an hour of outdoor exercise a day), and I just recently was promoted at work to a position I never dreamed would be possible!

Once you stop benzos you have to face yourself and actually do the work required to become healthy and functional. I'm so happy I did! I woke up from a nightmare.

I truly hope everyone suffering out there will find peace. These pills are insidious in ways that are unimaginable. It truly was an evil in my life and the battle to quit them was the hardest thing I've gone through.

Good luck everyone and there a way through and once you get there it's glorious!

• Like 1

[cb...]

I agree that these drugs are incredibly insidious and evil... Wonderful job on doing the work of reinventing your life, dreams, health, career - congratulations!!! Thank you for coming back to encourage others.

Wishing you - and your new dog  :smitten: - a beautiful life.

thanks so much for sharing and giving people encouragement!!  particularly those who do a cold turkey and feel they may never heal!!!  I too healed and the more stories people have will keep the positivity going!

Thank you upgirl for coming back to tell your story. I don’t know why you originally went on kpin but it sounds like you are doing very good now and my guess is that you probably never needed it in the first place. I jumped around the same time as you and unfortunately I’m still suffering terribly with lots of phych symptoms and a few physical as well. Just goes to show how different we are in how this poison affects us. I’m happy for you and hope you will go on and live a life full of happiness and success.

[68...]

Congratulations KPG, I’m so happy for you!

Bad neuropathy is my last bad symptom too, complete with the TENS unit. Sorry you’re stuck with this miserable symptom too, but I've read that the burning pain sometimes goes after a few years, so here’s hoping.

So glad that you’re doing so well though – that’s really great news!

:smitten:

Congratulations to you, Klonopinupgirl!  Thank you so much for sharing your story, and giving those of us who are still struggling hope!  Wishing you a wonderful, joy-filled future!!

• 5 weeks later...

Congratulations Klonopinupgirl!!!  :)  I'm so glad you are feeling much better and are able  to take care of yourself and enjoy your new dog  :)  I wonder if  klonopin slowed your gut motility and that's causing your bloating and pain still?  I found benzos did a number on my gut, too and still get really full and bloat after eating sometimes-especially lots of carbs or big meals.  Sorry that you have neuropathy and that they can't diagnose what's causing it.  I think benzos can really affect our nervous system too unfortunately.  I found my neuropathy flares when I'm trying to detox from heavy metals/chemicals, Candida and Lyme as well.  Hopefully our nerves will improve as we  continue to recover.  It is really wonderful to hear how far you have come and I hope you keep getting better and better :thumbsup:

Congratulations!  I am near 100% healed.  I believe if given time, med free, we all will heal.  Everyone's timeline is different.  No set time.  Thank you for sharing.    :-*