Does sleep anxiety ever really go away?

[St...]

Will I be plagued with this forever? Will the depression of all of this cause sleep problems the rest of my life?

Once sleep starts to return and you have a few decent nights in a row you will start to look forward to going to bed at night. Waves may return and bring a return of anxiety, but new windows of sleep will take care of that as well

Once sleep starts to return and you have a few decent nights in a row you will start to look forward to going to bed at night. Waves may return and bring a return of anxiety, but new windows of sleep will take care of that as well

I keep having anxiety because my sleep is all over the place. Some nights I'll sleep 2 hrs and then the next night 8 and the next night none. I get out of bed each morning feeling horrible. Like I don't feel rested and feel like I did when I went to bed. I don't get sleepy at all before bed and have a hard time going to sleep. Is this normal?

I slept five hours last night. That's the most I've gotten in six months. The night before that I tossed and turned the entire night. When you go to bed, count your blessings and soak in gratitude for the nights you get to sleep. I pray for us both that sleep returns somehow sometime. I actually thought about going to get a night job because if I am just going to lie there for eight hours, why not do something productive with the time. Hubby just laughed. Easy for him to laugh, he falls asleep within 10 seconds of laying down. I'm so jealous every night and I just lie there and listen to him breathing.

I slept five hours last night. That's the most I've gotten in six months. The night before that I tossed and turned the entire night. When you go to bed, count your blessings and soak in gratitude for the nights you get to sleep. I pray for us both that sleep returns somehow sometime. I actually thought about going to get a night job because if I am just going to lie there for eight hours, why not do something productive with the time. Hubby just laughed. Easy for him to laugh, he falls asleep within 10 seconds of laying down. I'm so jealous every night and I just lie there and listen to him breathing.

I'm the same way with my husband. Before this, I slept way more than he did. He would get things on his mind and couldn't sleep and I would be the one always sleeping. I've never had one single day of insomnia. I would try my best to stay up and worry about things and couldn't stay awake. I would be the one sleeping in and being late for work and school. As a kid, I would go to the bathroom and fall asleep in the bathroom floor on my way back to bed. I would get out of bed and go pee and never give it a second thought that I couldn't go back to sleep. I could sleep on a hard ground if we went camping. I ruined all of that for a boob job I didn't even want. Every day I think I don't want to to go on living in this hell anymore. I can't fall asleep or stay asleep. When I get up, it's not refreshed and only flashes of dreams. How can I keep going on like this? I don't think I can make it.

I keep having anxiety because my sleep is all over the place. Some nights I'll sleep 2 hrs and then the next night 8 and the next night none. I get out of bed each morning feeling horrible. Like I don't feel rested and feel like I did when I went to bed. I don't get sleepy at all before bed and have a hard time going to sleep. Is this normal?

Sounds pretty normal to me under the circumstances. I went through a couple years of such an up and down pattern. Some nights I would go to bed feeling very sleepy and other nights I would feel wide awake. The funny thing was that my sleep did not seem to depend upon how I felt. Some nights I would get decent sleep while feeling wide awake at bedtime and other nights I would barely be able to drag myself into bed only to not sleep.

How does everyone cope with daily responsibilities? I have to work and feel like crap in the morning then the morning stress from exhaustion gives way after I take a 30 min nap at lunch. I feel more relaxed in the afternoon but still very tired. I can't imagine doing this for years to come. I would rather not live if all I have to look forward to is years of exhaustion.

How does everyone cope with daily responsibilities? I have to work and feel like crap in the morning then the morning stress from exhaustion gives way after I take a 30 min nap at lunch. I feel more relaxed in the afternoon but still very tired. I can't imagine doing this for years to come. I would rather not live if all I have to look forward to is years of exhaustion.

I feel like crap too in the mornings but atleast you can take a nap.  I can't even do that. It's horrible!

I feel like crap too in the mornings but atleast you can take a nap.  I can't even do that. It's horrible!

Isn't it ironic? I read you saying you get eight hours sleep sometimes and I'm beyond jealous. Lol! 

I agree about the nap too. I haven't had a nap in six months. I hope they come back by football season.

Isn't it ironic? I read you saying you get eight hours sleep sometimes and I'm beyond jealous. Lol! 

I agree about the nap too. I haven't had a nap in six months. I hope they come back by football season.

I do get 8 hrs sometimes and then I'll get 2 the next night. I haven't had a nap in 9 months so I'm there with you. Since June started, I don't think I've had a 0 night yet but sometimes it's 30 minutes or an hr. Sleep still feels horrible and I don't wake up refreshed at all. I just notice little things changing. I want to get out more. I'm not shaking like I was. My face muscles used to shake but that stopped. My head isn't hurting as bad but the sensations are still there. Im slowly improving but man, it sure is taking a long time.

Stacey,

I know how hard it is to believe that this comes back. After a very long time of zero nights and minutes at a time only sleep that caused me to dread nights, now night is my favorite time. My sleep is a bit fragile-if I travel or something is off it tends to deteriorate-but the gift of wd insomnia is that now I'm so very grateful for *any* sleep. A few hours is wonderful and now that I usually do 6-7.5 it seems like a miracle. I've learned to roll with it a bit more easily when I have a bad night although I admit, I get up like Oliver Twist thinking, "Please sir, I want some more."

Sixam,

You can deal with this as long as you need to. Don't assume that just because others take a long time that you will. Regardless of the duration of your insomnia and wd, you'll find that with support, you can dig deep and find the strength to do whatever you need to. Then for the rest of your life you'll know what a badass you are for staying in the fight!

MT

Stacey,

I know how hard it is to believe that this comes back. After a very long time of zero nights and minutes at a time only sleep that caused me to dread nights, now night is my favorite time. My sleep is a bit fragile-if I travel or something is off it tends to deteriorate-but the gift of wd insomnia is that now I'm so very grateful for *any* sleep. A few hours is wonderful and now that I usually do 6-7.5 it seems like a miracle. I've learned to roll with it a bit more easily when I have a bad night although I admit, I get up like Oliver Twist thinking, "Please sir, I want some more."

Sixam,

You can deal with this as long as you need to. Don't assume that just because others take a long time that you will. Regardless of the duration of your insomnia and wd, you'll find that with support, you can dig deep and find the strength to do whatever you need to. Then for the rest of your life you'll know what a badass you are for staying in the fight!

MT

It's been 4 years and you're still having bad nights? Do we ever really heal completely?

Stacey,

I have pre-existing insomnia (starting in 7th grade) and CFS affects sleep (causes alpha intrusions and other things) so this is probably my normal. Don't assume you'll be like this.

MT

Stacey,

I have pre-existing insomnia (starting in 7th grade) and CFS affects sleep (causes alpha intrusions and other things) so this is probably my normal. Don't assume you'll be like this.

MT

I'm just worried my surgery triggered mine. I never had any kind of insomnia before that surgery. I'm scared I'm stuck like this. Can you atleast nap?

Stacey,

It's really hard to keep any sense of perspective as you go through this. Your mind races with the worst case scenarios. At two months off I don't consider your symptoms at all alarming. Miserable, yes, but not outside of the realm of normal. Gosh at two months out I was nauseated every day, had diarrhea daily, couldn't think, spasmed constantly, and looked like I was on the verge of death, not to mention how bad sleep was. I didn't even start to have the occasional thought that maybe I'd live until 3 months and that was rare. I say this to assure you, this is wd, I doubt your surgery did anything, and that your body/mind is doing its very best to recover. Bit by bit you'll get there.

I can't full on nap but I can lie down and check out zombie style for a while. It may not be sleeping (perhaps stage 1?) but it helps a bit.

MT

Stacey,

It's really hard to keep any sense of perspective as you go through this. Your mind races with the worst case scenarios. At two months off I don't consider your symptoms at all alarming. Miserable, yes, but not outside of the realm of normal. Gosh at two months out I was nauseated every day, had diarrhea daily, couldn't think, spasmed constantly, and looked like I was on the verge of death, not to mention how bad sleep was. I didn't even start to have the occasional thought that maybe I'd live until 3 months and that was rare. I say this to assure you, this is wd, I doubt your surgery did anything, and that your body/mind is doing its very best to recover. Bit by bit you'll get there.

I can't full on nap but I can lie down and check out zombie style for a while. It may not be sleeping (perhaps stage 1?) but it helps a bit.

MT

Could you ever nap during the day?

Prior to taking meds I could sleep easily during the day. After going on them it was more difficult but sometimes happened.