Noise sensitivity support group

[Be...]

I cannot tolerate noise anymore, and I have so much external noise outside all the time.  Tonight:  weedwhacking, fireworks, kids yelling, dogs yapping.  Anyone else with noise sensitivity and too much noise?  The 4th of July is pure hell now.  I used to love loud fireworks and now they hurt my brain and nerves.

It's the same for me. I get so annoyed, at all the children, who scream when they talk. Even though I use earplugs, and put my hands on my ears, I hear. I also hear the neighbor; footsteps, phone calls and when she yawns. I hear, when the neighbor above, changes the height of the bed. And also screaming tinnitus.

Previously, I got anxiety of music, but now I can turn on the radio. But, I hear the kids anyway. Now, I have complained too much! :)

trans, It's ok, that's what this thread is for.  The nabes up the street were outside awhile ago playing loud music while they were sitting around and drinking beer.  I had to walk up and I asked them to turn it down since I have brain damage and the noise makes me start shaking badly which it does.  The one man looked at me and was very surprised and they did turn it down.  They could see how distraught and honest I was being.  Kids were running around outside and playing and yelling and even that upsets my nervous system.  I always have the highway noise to contend with; that never stops.  I'm screwed with my severe sound sensitivity.  Living on this earth and in this trailer is too much stress on me.  I pray they don't set off fireworks again tonight.  They did last night.  That will do me in for sure.  I wish I lived in the country with no noises except nature sounds, but I don't.  I need to leave the windows open because it's 95 degrees in here and my AC doesn't work and I need to cool it off in here a bit, so I hear every single sound. 

Edit: Content

trans, It's ok, that's what this thread is for.  The nabes up the street were outside awhile ago playing loud music while they were sitting around and drinking beer.  I had to walk up and I asked them to turn it down since I have brain damage and the noise makes me start shaking badly which it does.  The one man looked at me and was very surprised and they did turn it down.  They could see how distraught and honest I was being.  Kids were running around outside and playing and yelling and even that upsets my nervous system.  I always have the highway noise to contend with; that never stops.  I'm screwed with my severe sound sensitivity.  Living on this earth and in this trailer is too much stress on me.  I pray they don't set off fireworks again tonight.  They did last night.  That will do me in for sure.  I wish I lived in the country with no noises except nature sounds, but I don't.  I need to leave the windows open because it's 95 degrees in here and my AC doesn't work and I need to cool it off in here a bit, so I hear every single sound. 

Edit: Content

Blues, I am so sorry to hear your still fighting this horror.  I could not take it and I am on my 3rd taper with a bunch of other drugs added as my brain just refused to rev-down.

Truth be told I am happy / normal again.  Now I just have to get off all these gaba enhancing and glutamate depressing drugs.

What my doc. is doing for me is so complex I dare not mention it here but it is working.

Tiagabine  is a simple GABA re-uptake inhibitor which does not attach to gabaA receptors like a benzo does so it can relieve S/X without down regulation of GABAA receptors.  I am taking 12mg 3 X a day for 36mg per day total. I also take Lyrica 450mg per day.  Well at least it is not a benzo ;D

Makes me sleepy but ear problems are GONE!  One side effect is this kind of temporary deafness which makes my hearing feel muffled but that is what the opposite of what Noise Sensitivity is, you have to go a little deaf temporarily to calm the loudness :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiagabine

READ THIS!!!  https://hyperacusisresearch.org/an-md-summary-of-the-2016-aro-hyperacusis-symposium/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/001429999190438V

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14658975

I have to give blood monthly just to check my neurotransmitter levels. 

What a pain in the ass this is.  I wish I never heard of a benzo!

Hope you feel better Blues and put some cotton in your ears please 8)

Hugs and kisses

Birdy :smitten:

Thanks Birdman,  I won't be taking any other drugs.  I'm too sick to even get to the docs.  The one article talks about hyperacusis pain, but I don't have pain and no headaches.  My nerves just jump and I shake so horribly and I nearly have a convulsion when any noise starts.  All this noise is killing my brain cells and is so bad for my brain.  I'm in big trouble.

Thanks Birdman,  I won't be taking any other drugs.  I'm too sick to even get to the docs.  The one article talks about hyperacusis pain, but I don't have pain and no headaches.  My nerves just jump and I shake so horribly and I nearly have a convulsion when any noise starts.  All this noise is killing my brain cells and is so bad for my brain.  I'm in big trouble.

Hi Blues, 

Those Hyperacusis expert docs prescribe Lyrica to their patients and it works in doses over 450mg.PD~

https://hyperacusisresearch.org/an-md-summary-of-the-2016-aro-hyperacusis-symposium/

I hate to see you like this blues :'( :'( :'(  I wish I could come over and take care of you :'(

Maybe you need a little more time for your brain to relax.  The drugs I am on now took me from Hell to Heaven in under 2 weeks.

I cut 20% already and will keep going slowly and I feel better than ever so far.  When the cutting gets harder I'll go even slower. At this point I do not care if I make my last cut at 100 years old :laugh:

If Colin still has this website up in 2030 I'll write my success story then but I am not in a hurry any longer.

Live and learn! Live longer and wiser. ;)

If I learned anything important from my thousands of hours spent on the net and talking to hundreds of people was a realization that for some of us tapering should take 5 to 7 years or more and even way longer for some of us!

I guess it really depends on ones pain tolerance and this drug pushed me from tough-girl to quivering-wimp! Benzo's kicked my ass like it had never been kicked before!! :idiot:

Get some help before that dreaded glutamate does too much excitotoxic damage. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Take care of yourself blues and keep an open mind.

Based on research presented and discussed at the symposium, there may well be a big “so what.” We now enter the realm of speculation—but based on parallel observations in patients with neuropathic pain (a complex chronic pain state often accompanied by tissue injury, in which nerves send incorrect signals to pain centers. Like neuropathic pain, pain in hyperacusis is often described as burning, and triggered by what most people would regard as low-intensity stimuli. Neuropathic pain often occurs in an environment of chronic inflammation, and may sometimes be responsive to medications that increase the neurotransmitter, GABA. Viewed in this light, hyperacusis pain smells neuropathic.

For many people with hyperacusis pain, this could be good news, because our understanding of the biology of neuropathic pain is exploding, and there look to be drugs on the horizon that could offer effective treatments. Even today, many hyperacusis patients find GABA-increasers like gabapentin (Neurontin®) and pregabalin (Lyrica®) helpful. Allan Basbaum described experimental treatments that may bear fruit in the next few years.

In addition, to the extent that pain represents dysfunctional signaling from a chronically inflamed cochlea, perhaps emerging treatments for controlling out-of-proportion inflammation could be very helpful as well. Such treatments are currently used—or under investigation—with patients who have overachieving mast cells, the primary initiators and perpetrators of allergic and many intolerance-type responses.

Big Hugs :smitten:

Birdy