Has anyone had face nerve pain in withdrawal? Scared and looking for hope

[li...]

Hi everyone, I am posting on behalf of my husband. Posting here in case the general board is not viewed as much. I am  Wondering if anyone has had trigeminal neuralgia type symptoms while in withdrawl, and if so, did it resolve?

My husband was on Celexa for four years, and did a fast taper. This left him very ill, and the doctors prescribed him xanax, ativan, buspar and zoloft which he took for 6 weeks, including two of those to taper off of them.  After that he was very very sick. Extreme anxiety, insomnia, body aches, extreme fatigue, feet pain, brain fog, etc. Then 6 months after tapering off of all meds, he started having left eye pain constantly, which he felt deep behind his eye and on his upper cheek.

It went away for a while, and now it is back. Symptoms of withdrawal come and go it seems every few weeks, of what I explained above. Whenever he touches his lip it sends pain to the eye/upper cheek. He doesn't experience lightning pains, stabbing, shocking, or anything like that. But it is always there, as a dull sore ache.

He will see a neurologist soon. His pcp seems to think it may be trigeminal neuralgia.

I did some digging and saw that celexa can cause neuralgia. I also came across several posts of people who had these type of symptoms for months to years after quitting SSRI or Benzo medications, and eventually it went away. With all of my heart I am hoping this is the case.

Would love to hear from anyone please, if they went through this? Thank you so much.

I do not have TN, but I do get nerve pain through that nerve when my muscles are spasming too hard and put pressure on it.  I also had issues with the facial nerves hurting for no reason early in withdrawal (both the TN nerve and other facial nerves), but this went away after a few months.  I only get it now when the muscle spasms set it off.

Ty for the reply! I am glad it lessened for you and bet it will continue to do so. I am hoping his does as well. He never had issues until during a bad WD period so it does give me. Hope

I was having issues on the side of my head also and the PCP was convinced I had temporal arteritis - tests showed otherwise. It's still bothering me but knowing the root cause has me reassured. I was convinced a lot of things wouldn't go away, but they did.

I liken it to a sports injury that just needs time.

Ty for the reply! I understand about the tests nit showing anything. My husband's mri just came back today clear with nothing pressing on trigeminal nerve and she told him medicine and withdrawal could absolutely not cause any of his symptoms. Blows my mind how little knowledge drs have on this kind of thing even if it isn't withdrawal still many suffer for years with various symptoms

I've had it behind both my eyes in varying degrees for years and it was unbearable at times.  Also, incredible sinus and skull pain. It is now finally lessening and is tolerable to not being there at all.  Never had this before quitting the drugs. 

Thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it and hope all of us just continue to heal more and more

I've had it behind both my eyes in varying degrees for years and it was unbearable at times.  Also, incredible sinus and skull pain. It is now finally lessening and is tolerable to not being there at all.  Never had this before quitting the drugs.

How long did they last for you?

My teeth have been so sore.  I know it's from grinding, which I guess Clonazepam helped me curb. 

It's one of the primary symptoms for me.

Hi,

I had horrible facial pain throughout my taper.  The neurologist said it was neuralgia, and then recommended neurontin.  Yeah....so....that was never going to happen.  Instead, I started to take CBD oil.  I don’t know if it’s the vitamins/supplements I’m taking, the cbd oil, or the post-jump, but I rarely have facial pain now.  I went from crippling facial pain, to less pain, to no pain. The only time I get the nerve pain is if I overdo exercising.

PM me if you want more details!  I hope he has a window soon!

Thank you so much for the reply!!! I will send you a PM My husband actually just got a medical MJ card for CBD oil, so am hoping it helps!

My teeth have been so sore.  I know it's from grinding, which I guess Clonazepam helped me curb. 

It's one of the primary symptoms for me.

Do you mean teeth or jaw? I have a weird sensation in my teeth that is like I am holding ice in my mouth and my jaw tenses up when stressed.

Through a lot of research I've come across. Several posts of people in Withdrawl with teeth and jaw pain or sensitivity or other issues. It seems pretty common!

Through a lot of research I've come across. Several posts of people in Withdrawl with teeth and jaw pain or sensitivity or other issues. It seems pretty common!

It is very common and only time will heal him. The oil only covers the pain. Ice can help also. It will go away with zaps and time. Had all of the and more.

Did you have face pain or just jaw/teeth?

Teeth get numb, jaw gets tight. Weird sensations in temple.

I’m so used to it now it doesn’t phase me.

What sensations do you get in your temple?

What sensations do you get in your temple?

Feels like someone is pressing their thumb into it. It’s not “pain” - but definitely feels off. Usually when that occurs, the jaw and teeth follow. As I type this it’s coming on since I’m thinking about it. Yikes!

Yes every tooth, tongue, roof of mouth, and jaw. My head felt horrible.

From talking to some people and reading posts it seems this one does last a while! It's definitely the most prominent symptom of my husband

From talking to some people and reading posts it seems this one does last a while! It's definitely the most prominent symptom of my husband

(Insert sad face)

What’s his best way of coping? I’ve tried icing, Advil, massages, etc but they don’t seeem to help