New recovery film on Netflix- recovery boys

[li...]

Hi-

I watched a new documentary on Netflix called recovery Boys. It profiled young men in West Virginia trying to kick opiates and Heroin. It was sad and I know opiates and heroin are no joke however I must say that it seems like compared to Benzos getting off Heroin is a walk in the park physically speaking. Now I know the addiction part is where it gets tough and I know that heroin is uber addictive, but these guys were back working on a farm doing hard labor after a few weeks of being off Heroin.

I'm 2.5 years into my tapering/off benzo journey and I am still not all that functional.

Heroin takes more lives than Benzos I'm sure and that is bad, but does anyone else feel like Benzo withdrawal is way worse and that its not being publicized for some reason.

[85...]

Hi-

I watched a new documentary on Netflix called recovery Boys. It profiled young men in West Virginia trying to kick opiates and Heroin. It was sad and I know opiates and heroin are no joke however I must say that it seems like compared to Benzos getting off Heroin is a walk in the park physically speaking. Now I know the addiction part is where it gets tough and I know that heroin is uber addictive, but these guys were back working on a farm doing hard labor after a few weeks of being off Heroin.

I'm 2.5 years into my tapering/off benzo journey and I am still not all that functional.

Heroin takes more lives than Benzos I'm sure and that is bad, but does anyone else feel like Benzo withdrawal is way worse and that its not being publicized for some reason.

trailer on youtube   

:smitten:

I watched it too and the first ting I thought was "they really did not get the worse cases there".

The good point the showed was that the environment you live in is essential. We have to build up as system that helps you to cope after being off - for years. And I really dont think that meetings every day are enough (in my country there are none, so this would be an effort...) -

I thought about the idea of the farm and thought this was great. But only 6 months and then back home,- its the old problem.

Also I would have found it better to know more about the circumstances why they took the med/ drug..

But hey, the more films about that the better.

I just finished watching this film last night, and it really saddened me. Clearly, the environmental factors played a huge role in this particular situation. With rampant drug use in W. Virginia, and little in the way of educational or social opportunities, some of these vulnerable young men fell right back into their old patterns. It's not really that surprising, is it?

I, too, was envious of their ability to do physical things. As someone who is extremely dizzy much of the time, I would give just about anything to be able to be active again. That, in and of itself, would be very therapeutic for me.

Obviously, heroin addiction and iatrogenic benzodiazepine effects are quite different. I couldn't relate at all to the addiction story, but I did want to try to understand it. I wished these young men had better opportunities awaiting them after Jacob's Ladder and more sources of help to get them onto a new road. Quite heartbreaking, actually.

Yes, I finished watching, it, too. I was really sad about Jeff (?), the guy with the two children, who in the end was not to be found. I was glad, however, that one of the other guys (can't remember his name) ended up being a drug counselor. It's difficult when all you've known in the past is defective (friends, chosen places to go, etc.) because not only are you getting off the drug, you have to form new friendships and change dramatically the way you used to live. All the old familiarity has to go. Everything is new, which creates stress. There are temptations to go back to the old life and live in familiar surroundings. I remember Jeff babysitting his children when they were being difficult to handle. He was thinking of using again to release himself from the stress. It must be so, so hard to learn a new way of coping with stress rather than using.

All of us here have had to learn new coping methods so that we're less stressed. Unfortunately, for me, that has meant limited time for being with other people. I spend the majority of my time by myself in a very controlled environment.

Yes, Terry, Jeff's story was really upsetting for me too. I kept hoping something good would happen for him. You could tell how much he loved his daughters, but I guess the forces calling him back to those old ways were stronger than anything else.

I, too, was really impressed by the man who really turned himself around and helped others. I wonder what it was that he drew upon. Maybe he just wanted it badly enough....I'm not sure. Whatever it was, it gave the film at least a bit of light in what was, largely, a pretty bleak picture.

I feel the same way about Jeff and thought he would come through okay. He really loved his daughters, and I thought they'd be a strong enough influence to change him.

I think the drug counselor's mom was a strong influence. He really liked Jeff, and maybe he saw what happened to him. It seems like Jeff didn't have a strong family tie other than his daughters, someone who would say he could do it and keep pushing him. I feel that you have to have someone giving you support and pushing you onward, particularly a family member, to improve. The drug counselor's mother was always offering support. He lived at home. She might have made sure that he wasn't going to fail. It affected her deeply. I remember her crying.

Yes, bleak is right, and I wonder if that's how it is, people going in and out of rehab until it finally sticks.

Terry, I think you may have mixed up two of the young men. The one who lived at home with his mom was still struggling somewhat at the end of the film, but the drug counselor was the guy who played guitar and who was helping others in a group setting. He had been clean for 21 months, according to the final bit of the film where they were explaining what everyone was doing. I wish I remembered his name. I was so pleased at how well he was doing and how committed he was to helping others.

I think you're right, Lapis. Thank you for correcting that!

The drug counselor did really well, maybe because his sobriety was constantly reinforced by listening to others go through their trials and tribulations with drugs. I don't remember names, either, and I don't want to go back and see it again to find out. It was sad.

I think they should have filmed for more than 2 years, maybe for 5.

When I look back how long it took me to find the right way to taper - if you had made a film about me and only watched me for 6-12 months everyone would think I would be dead. Maybe if the period would have been longer more of the guys would have found a way to cope.

Sorry for my bad english today...

Your English is excellent, Marigold! Please do NOT apologize for it. There were absolutely NO mistakes in what you wrote!

Your English is excellent, Marigold! Please do NOT apologize for it. There were absolutely NO mistakes in what you wrote!

..really????:idiot:

hmm.. I think you are very polite and gentle to me :smitten:

When it comes to using the times correctly... ugh...

Actually, that's what struck me! You used some difficult verb tenses in that sentence, and I think for any person for whom English was their second language, that would be difficult. So my hat is off to you, dear Marigold! Good work! A plus plus! I should try to write the same thing in French, and then ask my French-speaking friend how I did.  ;)

Actually, that's what struck me! You used some difficult verb tenses in that sentence, and I think for any person for whom English was their second language, that would be difficult. So my hat is off to you, dear Marigold! Good work! A plus plus! I should try to write the same thing in French, and then ask my French-speaking friend how I did.  ;)

You can ask me, my French is much better than my English :laugh:

verb tenses!!! Not "times" :D :D :D :D :D

My teacher would have killed me..

When I look back how long it took me to find the right way to taper - if you had made a film about me and only watched me for 6-12 months everyone would think I would be dead. Maybe if the period would have been longer more of the guys would have found a way to cope.

Voici ce que je dirais:

Je pense qu'on aurait du tourner le film pendant plus que deux ans, peut-etre cinq ans. Quand je reflechis....si on avait tourne un film concernant moi et on m'avait suivi pendant six a douze mois, on penserait que je serais morte. Si on les avait suivi pendant une periode plus longue, peut-etre que les mecs auraient trouve un moyen de surmonter leurs problemes.

And I should add that I just started watching Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" episode about West Virginia, and a resident referred to the high rate of opioid overdose. So, that's something I wasn't familiar with. Obviously, problem is particularly bad in that region. I'm not aware of the particular areas of the US where the issue is bad. Perhaps Terry can weigh in on this question.

Voici ce que je dirais:

Je pense qu'on aurait du tourner le film pendant plus que deux ans, peut-etre cinq ans. Quand je reflechis....si on avait tourne un film concernant moi et on m'avait suivi pendant six a douze mois, on penserait que je serais morte. Si on les avait suivi pendant une periode plus longue, peut-etre que les mecs auraient trouve un moyen de surmonter leurs problemes.

Wow. Thats not bad!!  :smitten: And really difficult especially the last sentence.. très bien..

Merci mille fois, Madame! I have a friend here with whom I speak only in French, and he's pretty darn strict with me about grammar. He corrects me all the time! Usually, it's fine, but sometimes, I just want to say, "Give me a break!" He spent a number of years in France, and his job requires him to be bilingual. Such a beautiful language! You could say anything in French, and I think it would sound good to me -- even swearing!  :laugh:

Merci mille fois, Madame! I have a friend here with whom I speak only in French, and he's pretty darn strict with me about grammar. He corrects me all the time! Usually, it's fine, but sometimes, I just want to say, "Give me a break!" He spent a number of years in France, and his job requires him to be bilingual. Such a beautiful language! You could say anything in French, and I think it would sound good to me -- even swearing!  :laugh:

.. yeah... imagine a young pretty guy with an french accent telling you something... :smitten: