FLEXERIL - URGENT if you are on an AD or weaning from one

[Fa...]

I am on day 6 of reducing my dose of AD to wean off of it.

Yesterday, my doctor prescribed me Flexeril to help alleviate sciatic nerve pain.  I took two doses yesterday.

I woke up this morning and could not get out of bed until about 10:00AM.  It's always hard to get out of bed, but today has basically just . . . well . . . SUCKED.

I blamed it on the rain.

I blamed it on being day 6 of weaning my AD.

I blamed it on everything I could.

Then someone posted in another thread about Flexeril which got me searching for answers and talking with my Pharmacist.

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND.  Flexeril is actually an antidepressant.  No wonder I feel like crap! I'm trying to taper my AD and without knowing it, I took 2 doses of another antidepressent.

Holy crap doctors are clueless!  My neurolgist KNEW (I told him at the appt.) that I'm weaning from my antidepressant.  Apparently he has no clue that's what this medicine is.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/flexeril-addiction/what-is-flexeril/

Anyway, here's a link.

I know so many of you don't want anything that works on the Central Nervous System and are NOT interested in taking an AD in any way shape or form.

I hope I shared this in the right place.  I did want to post it in a more active place also so more people see it, but I don't want to do anything wrong in regard to forum rules.

'Cause I'm a good girl. I follow the rules. 

hahaha!

Peace and Healing to each and every one of us.

Be your own advocate.  Do your own research!! 

Doctors are sooooo clueless when it comes to psych meds I am so agree on this,and anything they prescribed to us for pain or other things like stomach issues anything effect on our nerves we need to research it it might be something from AD to anti psychotic to benzo or benzo derivatives they hand over such powerful drugs for such small things it’s really upsetting but they are only human and they don’t know everything we need to be our own advocate for sure

Thank you for posting it hope you feel better soon

Hi fake it, ixoyc here. I just sent you a pm then found these comments. Looks like you figured it out. Good luck on getting it straight. Let me give you another heads up. If a dr ever offers you vistaril, don't take that either. It affects the same three brain receptors as the antipsychotic drugs and has some of the same dangers as antipsychotics. The dr will tell you it is a antihistamine. Be careful with that one too. Good luck.

I just saw one of your other threads and you mentioned hydroxide. Well you ready for this, hydroxide is the generic for vistaril. Vistaril is a pretty old drug and I learned a while back that some of the original antipsychotic drugs were designed from hydroxide. You have to check every drug out. Like you said, drs are clueless or like I say they are negligent. Until whenever.

I just saw one of your other threads and you mentioned hydroxide. Well you ready for this, hydroxide is the generic for vistaril. Vistaril is a pretty old drug and I learned a while back that some of the original antipsychotic drugs were designed from hydroxide. You have to check every drug out. Like you said, drs are clueless or like I say they are negligent. Until whenever.

.wow. that explains s why it makes me feel like crap too. I lovw this forum and how much I learn here.

Thank you.

Hmm. I just read my reply and just realized that I called hydroxine hydroxide. Well I mean Hydroxine. Or maybe spell check got me. Just want to be sure. Hydroxine is generic for vistaril. It hits on histamine, serotonin, and dopamine receptors. Supposed to be an antihistamine.

Hmm. I just read my reply and just realized that I called hydroxine hydroxide. Well I mean Hydroxine. Or maybe spell check got me. Just want to be sure. Hydroxine is generic for vistaril. It hits on histamine, serotonin, and dopamine receptors. Supposed to be an antihistamine.

I knew what you meant. 😁

I was given a script and told it was "glorified Benadryl" and safe. I took it once during acute back in January to try to sleep and stayed awake the entire night and was basically a wreck the next day. Totally paradoxical effect for me. I haven't tried it again .

flexeril is NOT an antidepressant, but it does have a chemical makeup similar to tricyclic anti-depressants.

Also, vistaril is called hydroxizine (atarax in some countries), which is basically a very strong antihistamine.  While some people are set back by it, many people do actually find it helpful for withdrawal, and it generally has fewer side effects than many other psych meds.  But like benadryl, some people do have a paradoxical reaction to it and become wired (which is temporary).  I took it daily for over 20 years and then stopped it almost cold turkey (tapered less than a week) without issue.  I'm not saying it is safe, it is a psych drug after all.  But if someone really needs something for sleep or anxiety, this may be a safer bet than the other options.

flexeril is NOT an antidepressant, but it does have a chemical makeup similar to tricyclic anti-depressants.

Also, vistaril is called hydroxizine (atarax in some countries), which is basically a very strong antihistamine.  While some people are set back by it, many people do actually find it helpful for withdrawal, and it generally has fewer side effects than many other psych meds.  But like benadryl, some people do have a paradoxical reaction to it and become wired (which is temporary).  I took it daily for over 20 years and then stopped it almost cold turkey (tapered less than a week) without issue.  I'm not saying it is safe, it is a psych drug after all.  But if someone really needs something for sleep or anxiety, this may be a safer bet than the other options.

I agree with this.  Flexeril has never been used as an antidepressant.  I'm not sure how addictive flexeril is, but I do know it's nothing like benzos.  I have seen some forums of people tapering off of flexeril and complaining about it but I also know someone who took it daily for about a year and had zero problems stopping.  I have been taking flexeril on and off for a little over a year, and it has really, really helped me with the muscle tension from withdrawal as well as helped me sleep.  I wouldn't discount it just because it has a similar makeup to an AD.