can anyone still take benzos for emergencies once they're off of them?

[Be...]

Hi,

I've been very good about my taper and it's going well. I am only taking .5 mg ativan at bedtime. I have eliminated the daytime doses. I also have other health problems and am curious to know if anyone can take benzos after they've been off of them just for an as needed basis. Is there a place for them? Yesterday I was placed on steroids for intractable migraine and severe allergy congestion. I could barely function. I am also having trigeminal neuralgia pain. I forced myself to not take any ativan even though I knew it would help. I took my bedtime dose of .5 mg Ativan right after my evening prednisone. I took my allergy meds and inderal as I tbought that would help. No such luck.  I was up all night unable to sleep. I even had camomile tea at 2:00 am and put on meditation tapes...an hour at a time. By 6:30 am I got out of bed and was like a zombie. My right sided headache is worse. My facial neuralgia is worse. The congestion is better from the steroids but they hype me up so bad that in the past I've had to take more ativan at bedtime just to sleep.

I'm at my witts end. I'm finally down to a dose that I haven't been on in 7 years but am suffering because my body is not resting because of the migraine.Last week I was able to sleep but the migraine was more manageable. I didn't have the neuralgia at that point.

I took a muscle relaxant too to help with the tension headache that comes along with the migraine.

I was inpatient for migraine treatment mid May and am having such terrible daily migraines. I'm tired of the pain and wanted to blame everything on Ativan but in all honesty I've had migraines for 45 years and they have gotten worse in the past 5-6 years. I don't know what to do anymore. I'ts never been this bad. My face hurts from the neuralgia and my head is exploding from the pain.

I put a call into the headache center to discuss a nerve block. I just have to go lay down. This is scary. I feel like I have half a face.

I am so sorry you're suffering so badly!

I'm going to suggest something that you're probably going to scoff at, but I want to make absolute sure you've tried Excedrin Migraine.

I suffered from migraines since I was in high school.  I seriously tried every prescription medication there ever was.

The only one that ultimately helped was Imitrix, but my heart would race so fast after I took a shot that I had to stop.

One day at work (years ago) my secretary tried to give me two Excedrin Migraine and I was like "Oh Sweety, nothing OTC has ever or will ever touch my migraines".

But I had nothing with me and no other option so I took them just to see if it would at least take the edge off.

within an hour my migraine VANISHED.

I was absolutely shocked.

I've been taking them for years now and the only issue I have is that I have to take them with food or else I get a severe upset stomach.

In regard to your initial question; my answer would be don't touch a Benzo.  I only took .5 at night time to help me sleep for a couple months and not even every night.  And they messed me up.  So .5 is not harmless by any means.  But that's only my opinion.  You have to do what's right for you. 

I wish you peace and freedom from pain.

I have taken occasional one-off doses of diazepam to deal with med diagnostic procedures and plane travel with no problems at all.

Thank you for all the replies. Excedrine used to help when I was younger. I tried it recently and it did nothing. My headaches/migraines have transformed. They’ve gotten worse. I have several different types of migraines. I’ve tried acupuncture and it only helped on occasion when in the midst of a headache but never for intractable migraine.

I have no control over weather related migraines. The ones from heat, humidity and allergies  are killers. I basically stay indoors. 

I feel awful but still sticking with my taper wish something would help this neuralgia pain. Getting emotional only makes it worse and steroids play tricks with your mind.  :o :o

Thank you for all the replies. Excedrine used to help when I was younger. I tried it recently and it did nothing. My headaches/migraines have transformed. They’ve gotten worse. I have several different types of migraines. I’ve tried acupuncture and it only helped on occasion when in the midst of a headache but never for intractable migraine.

I have no control over weather related migraines. The ones from heat, humidity and allergies  are killers. I basically stay indoors. 

I feel awful but still sticking with my taper wish something would help this neuralgia pain. Getting emotional only makes it worse and steroids play tricks with your mind.  :o :o

Bella Girl, this is something that has helped me.....I bought a Quell for back pain and lt specifically says not for migraines.  I have chronic migraines and since I bought the queuing, I have averaged 6 a month. A miracle for me.  Didn't help my back at all but helping so much with the migraines while going through withdrawals was amazing.  If you buy it from Amazon, you get 30 days to send it back, if you buy from Quell, you get 60.  I was about to send it back to Amazon when I realized I only had 6 migraines that month which got me thinking, well I will wait 60 days to see , another month with 6 migraines, now it's been at least 4 Or 5 months with an average of 6 a month.  I can not promise the same thing will happen for you, but you might try just in case.  Follow instructions just like it says for your back if you decide to try.  Good luck :)

Mary

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I will look into it. I’m also researching a unit called Cefaly. It’s like a tens unit for the head. I’ll take anything at this point. I actually slept last night. So the steroids allowed me to breathe and reduced some inflammation in my head. My headache and neuralgia are  still present but manageable. The good news I didn’t have to take more Ativan to sleep or help with the steroids!! The only problem is I am still a prisoner in his house due to the heat and humidity. I stepped into my patio before and could barely breathe ....the air was so thick. I have become more  affected by the weather with age. ughhh.

Mary

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I will look into it. I’m also researching a unit called Cefaly. It’s like a tens unit for the head. I’ll take anything at this point. I actually slept last night. So the steroids allowed me to breathe and reduced some inflammation in my head. My headache and neuralgia are  still present but manageable. The good news I didn’t have to take more Ativan to sleep or help with the steroids!! The only problem is I am still a prisoner in his house due to the heat and humidity. I stepped into my patio before and could barely breathe ....the air was so thick. I have become more  affected by the weather with age. ughhh.

[/quote

I bought one 2 or 3 years ago.  At first I had hope but then nothing.  I don't know where you live, but in US u can only get one with 1 level, other countries can get 3 levels.  They hurt L can tell u that.  But if it had worked, it would have been a half hour of pain compared to all day.  Hopefully they will work better for you.  Let me know how it goes, good luck!  Migraines suck :(

Wow...thanks for the feedback. Will have to do more research on it. I know they are not cheap and insurance won’t cover it. Desperation will make you do anything. These migraines have become daily and often debilitating. In the past 7-8 years, I don’t remember a day not having a headache or waking without one. It changes your life. It become the new norm or me  :( :( :(

Wow...thanks for the feedback. Will have to do more research on it. I know they are not cheap and insurance won’t cover it. Desperation will make you do anything. These migraines have become daily and often debilitating. In the past 7-8 years, I don’t remember a day not having a headache or waking without one. It changes your life. It become the new norm or me  :( :( :(

I have had migraines for 26 years.  They have gone chronic twice for years at a time so I know your misery.  There are finally, real meds coming out that were actually made for migraines, not like most of the stuff they prescribe now.  Keep me updated :)

Thanks Mary. Are your migraines better now? I’ve had migraines for 45 years but never this bad and this long. Now it’s affecting the trigeminal Nerve too. They’ve become chronic and transformed. I often get a bout of vestibular migraine which is pretty debilitating. I didn’t know what it was at first....very scary. The vertigo associated with it can linger for weeks at a time. I’ve just learned that June is migraine awareness month. It’s been eye opening for me as I have shied away from really discussing it and feel guilty about always having migraines. I’m finally getting over the guilt but still not dealing well with the grief. I’ve recently joined an online support for migraines and it been educational. I’ve never been able to be on a preventive due to side effects but just started one and might be able to tolerate it. I only learned about it after being inpatient for migraine last month. I know they also came out with a monoclonal antibody injection CGRP. I’m not sure if I am a candidate. Still trying to navigate to see what works. It’s not easy.knowing you have some relief gives me hope.

Bella

Thanks Mary. Are your migraines better now? I’ve had migraines for 45 years but never this bad and this long. Now it’s affecting the trigeminal Nerve too. They’ve become chronic and transformed. I often get a bout of vestibular migraine which is pretty debilitating. I didn’t know what it was at first....very scary. The vertigo associated with it can linger for weeks at a time. I’ve just learned that June is migraine awareness month. It’s been eye opening for me as I have shied away from really discussing it and feel guilty about always having migraines. I’m finally getting over the guilt but still not dealing well with the grief. I’ve recently joined an online support for migraines and it been educational. I’ve never been able to be on a preventive due to side effects but just started one and might be able to tolerate it. I only learned about it after being inpatient for migraine last month. I know they also came out with a monoclonal antibody injection CGRP. I’m not sure if I am a candidate. Still trying to navigate to see what works. It’s not easy.knowing you have some relief gives me hope.

Bella

The thing about the new migraine meds coming out, is insurance going to cover any of them.  I have a bad feeling we are going to be told "experimental " :tickedoff:

Let me ask you

Did your migraines start off hormonal?  Mine were, and I actually went on hormones awhile ago and did get some relief.  Instead of 20 a month, got them down to 12 or 13. Which to some people doesn't sound like much, but when you're chronic, it's a lot.

My migraines started at age 14 and definitely hormone related. Then I started to get more and remember as a teenager and young adult keeping a headache journal. I would get them

More in the summer and allergy seasons. So I guess as I got older the weather affected me more. I remember going to my senior prom with a debilitating migraine.  The treatment at the time was Fiorinal and fioricet. Later, just more narcotics and eventually Imitrex which helped. As the migraines worsened and became chronic other meds were tried. It’s been a long battle and in the past 5 years as my neck became more problematic I resorted to trigger point injections, nerve blocks and even nerve ablation. I don’t know what the future holds but always hope something will help. It’s gettjng to be unbearable. . I’m glad hormone pills helped you. I was never able to tolerate them to see if they helped my headaches but after having a hysterectomy at  an early age the headaches worsened. Once on low dose estrogen replacement patch the headaches lessened. It’s been a roller coaster ride because now I’m getting them regardless of the hormone replacement. Ughhhh

We’re in store for a heatwave here this weekend and I am not looking forward to it! Take good care...

My migraines started at age 14 and definitely hormone related. Then I started to get more and remember as a teenager and young adult keeping a headache journal. I would get them

More in the summer and allergy seasons. So I guess as I got older the weather affected me more. I remember going to my senior prom with a debilitating migraine.  The treatment at the time was Fiorinal and fioricet. Later, just more narcotics and eventually Imitrex which helped. As the migraines worsened and became chronic other meds were tried. It’s been a long battle and in the past 5 years as my neck became more problematic I resorted to trigger point injections, nerve blocks and even nerve ablation. I don’t know what the future holds but always hope something will help. It’s gettjng to be unbearable. . I’m glad hormone pills helped you. I was never able to tolerate them to see if they helped my headaches but after having a hysterectomy at  an early age the headaches worsened. Once on low dose estrogen replacement patch the headaches lessened. It’s been a roller coaster ride because now I’m getting them regardless of the hormone replacement. Ughhhh

We’re in store for a heatwave here this weekend and I am not looking forward to it! Take good care...

I use suma and they do help, just not every time.  Did all the shots, acupuncture blah blah blah, none of it helped.  The Quell helping me is a miracle.  Don't know how long it will last, but so grateful while it does.  I hope you find yours :smitten:

Massages have really helped my migraines.  I saw a study not long ago that said a massage every week made the number of migraines drop to less than half on average, so some people stopped getting them completely.  If only I could afford a massage a week, but even less often does seem to help.

Massages have really helped my migraines.  I saw a study not long ago that said a massage every week made the number of migraines drop to less than half on average, so some people stopped getting them completely.  If only I could afford a massage a week, but even less often does seem to help.

GreenCup, what kind of massage do you get?  Is it full body or back, neck, and head?  I have muscles right behind my ears that are getting in bad shape.

My migraines began at age 15 (oh the magic of puberty!), and I've had them my entire life. I use Imitrex and when that doesn't work I go to the hospital for a whopping 150mg of Demerol. I have tried Botox, and this dramatically diminished the frequency and duration of the attacks. I've never had much luck with any OTC meds such as Exedrin Mirgraine for whatever reason. Temping as it is, taking rescue benzo doses is not a great idea - in your case because you may well tend to rescue yourself on multiple occasions. I empathize. My migraines are so bad that I am actually blind from the pain and have to crawl to find my way to my migraine kit. When you are dealing with pain that makes you want to do anything at all to eradicate it, using benzos is going to be an ongoing temptation, so my advice to you is to not use them at all. Look into other methods like acupuncture for migraine prevention and the Botox. When I think about rescue doses of Benzos, I think about that once in a blue moon emergency where my life is in danger if I don't use it. This happens to me every few years or so, and I've been fortunate that I haven't had any rekindling of symptoms. In my case the benzo was critically required to stop a two week panic attack that had driven my BP up over 200 mmHg and I was in imminent danger of a stroke. THAT's the kind of situation where I feel a rescue dose is justified. Even then, I've taken what I've learned from that horrible episode and I keep beta blockers on hand as an emergency BP reducer. I also used to take beta blockers on a regular basis many years ago to prevent my migraines, but I'm not sure if they're still used this way. All I am saying is please be careful - the last thing you want is a rekindle or to end up with PAWS. I do empathize and I fully believe that there are other drugs out there that can help. Did you know that the old first generation tricyclic antidepressant ELAVIL (Amitritptyline) has been used successfully to treat migraine in many patients? It is something else for you to explore. As I like to say in my more optimistic moments - there are alway alternatives. Well, MOST of the time there are, but not always. I hope you can find useful alternatives for your issue. Best wishes.

GreenCup, what kind of massage do you get?  Is it full body or back, neck, and head?  I have muscles right behind my ears that are getting in bad shape.

I usually tell the massage therapist exactly why I'm there, my pain area and migraines.  It is sometimes including legs, other times just the back.  For migraines they usually do the neck and head as well as the back and sometimes the face.  I always go to licensed massage therapists, since they went to school to learn how to do this.  Even when the massage is just relaxing and does not feel like it did much ,it does help prevent the migraines or at least keep them from happening as frequently.

I usually tell the massage therapist exactly why I'm there, my pain area and migraines.  It is sometimes including legs, other times just the back.  For migraines they usually do the neck and head as well as the back and sometimes the face.  I always go to licensed massage therapists, since they went to school to learn how to do this.  Even when the massage is just relaxing and does not feel like it did much ,it does help prevent the migraines or at least keep them from happening as frequently.

Thanks GreenCup, I already get acupressure for my back, neck, There are 3 levels...light, med, deep.  I might try a light acupressure for those 2 bad muscles in back of my head.  Hope you feel as good as possible over the 4th  :)

Today is a bad day. My head is not getting better. The migraines also triggered worsening of  trigeminal neuralgia. I don’t know is what to do. My head feels swollen. I can’t think straight. I wake with them everyday and can’t seem to get them under control. I’m at the end of my rope 😡

Today is a bad day. My head is not getting better. The migraines also triggered worsening of  trigeminal neuralgia. I don’t know is what to do. My head feels swollen. I can’t think straight. I wake with them everyday and can’t seem to get them under control. I’m at the end of my rope 😡

I'm so sorry,  I know that feeling well.  sometimes getting in the shower, turned up on high, with hot water, and just let it beat on the spot that pounding the hardest , helps.

• 3 months later...

Bella Girl,

I am sorry you have had this pain, it’s the worst!

I have the same issues, chronic migraine and atypical trigiminsl neuralgia. Mine started after trying CBD oil prior to any BZD withdrawal.

Have you found anything to help the face pain?

Warmly,

Sunflower67 🌻

Usually goes away with time. I recently had to take Tegretol and although I dont tolerate meds the burning was so bad I took it for 3 days then the Burning was better. Coincidence?

Take good care of yourself

Bella

• 4 months later...