can you use magnesium glycinate while tapering of clonazepam

[pu...]

Hi there I am tapering clon.  I have been on clon for a little over 2 years and dry cut to 0.75mg this Jan 2018 and then switched to a liquid suspension created by my pharmacy together with a schedule I have posted in another group liquid tapering if you want the full story.  I am in control of my taper and the schedule is so I can see my progress.  I dose 3 times a day.  I tried micro tapering for about 2 months and the was hit with sxs so have slowed things down.  I have dropped a little over 30% since Jan 2018.  I am sitting at 0.534mg and need to hold more often.

So my question is as I get lower I have anxiety that is sitting on my chest so was wondering if anyone has tried  magnesium glycinate while tapering?  I also use L-Theanine and find it does help some.

Any comments appreciated.

Purple

[df...]
Some members have reported problems with magnesium glycinate, but it helped me a lot, including with insomnia.  :thumbsup:

[f4...]
I'm using glycinate. I can't say it's had a noticeable impact on my anxiety or sleep but it's the only magnesium my stomach has been able to handle. Even the cream would rev me up.

[21...]

It has helped me, too. (We are all deficient, as the soil is so depleted and the body uses up magnesium extremely fast in times of stress.) I started with low dosages and worked my way up. My chest tightness is now mostly gone and sleep is decent.

'Revving' with magnesium is usually a detox reaction that dissipates as time goes by. I hope this helps you a little.

I'm using mag glycinate because I have a slow-healing fracture in my foot, and calcium/mag/vitamin D/vitamin K are essential for bone healing. I can't say either way what role any of these are playing in terms of how I feel, but these things are necessary for human nutrition. Either we get it through food (which may or may not have enough), or we get it through supplements.

In your case, why not try a little and see if it makes a difference for you? It's pretty safe, as long as you keep the amount small and you have no other medical conditions that would affect such things.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I tried this for a few days and got really sick and very foggy headed so have stopped at least while I taper of the klon

Purple

Okay I tried this for a few days and got really sick and very foggy headed so have stopped at least while I taper of the klon

Purple

Hi purple,

How are you? Wondering what generic k you take or others. Since teva discontinued, I don’t know what to switch to. All thoughts imput appreciated. XX, SC

Folks I am interested in MICRO-DOSING UPWARDS ON MAGNESIUM. RubyLove seems to have done it? How did you know where to start and what rate?

Am thinking of doing it with the magnesium oil....by 1/10th of a ml at a time. This apparently gives 5mg of “elemental” Mg.

I am scared and have no idea of what is going to happen.

Viking

It has helped me, too. (We are all deficient, as the soil is so depleted and the body uses up magnesium extremely fast in times of stress.) I started with low dosages and worked my way up. My chest tightness is now mostly gone and sleep is decent.

'Revving' with magnesium is usually a detox reaction that dissipates as time goes by. I hope this helps you a little.

Hi, I hope you’re feeling better.

What type/brand of magnesium do you use?

What is ‘revving’ caused by magnesium?

Thanks be well

I have just realised that the magnesium oil has other minerals in it which may not suit.

So am going to start with a magnesium chelate which, pharmacist says, is less risky if electrolytes are an issue.

Why not just focus on magnesium-rich foods? The body needs magnesium and the best way to get any vitamin or mineral is from food. I've been taking magnesium glycinate (100 mg x 2/day) without issue, but if you're very concerned about taking supplements, then it would make sense to just eat more magnesium-rich foods.

I have had blood urine tests that show low nutrient levels and have always shown low magnesium.

Rather than let this drug business destroy my life and feel like fighting back

What did your doctor recommend? Can you consult with a registered dietitian? Is there something going on in your body that might cause your levels to be low?

In my case, I need the magnesium for bone health, i.e. a slow-healing fracture. Magnesium glycinate seems to be fine for me. Have you tried it yet? You could just cut the tablet in halves or quarters, if you're concerned about how you might react. You can always increase it as you go along.

Hi viking,

This National Institutes of Health link has some really good info about magnesium, including a paragraph about how difficult it is to test for. I had mine tested, but having read similar info before, I realized that the blood test that I had probably didn't accurately reflect my magnesium status. I'm just going to focus on healthy food and the 2 x 100 mg magnesium glycinate tablets for now. The article also states that the body keeps a tight control on magnesium levels, so that's something to keep in mind.

Too much supplemental magnesium can cause diarrhea, which I've experienced, so I would never take very much of it again. Years ago, I took way more than necessary and landed in the hospital with an IV in my arm for a few days. I had no idea that magnesium was the cause of the problem until later on. Lesson learned!

An adult body contains approximately 25 g magnesium, with 50% to 60% present in the bones and most of the rest in soft tissues [4]. Less than 1% of total magnesium is in blood serum, and these levels are kept under tight control. Normal serum magnesium concentrations range between 0.75 and 0.95 millimoles (mmol)/L [1,5]. Hypomagnesemia is defined as a serum magnesium level less than 0.75 mmol/L [6]. Magnesium homeostasis is largely controlled by the kidney, which typically excretes about 120 mg magnesium into the urine each day [2]. Urinary excretion is reduced when magnesium status is low [1].

Assessing magnesium status is difficult because most magnesium is inside cells or in bone [3]. The most commonly used and readily available method for assessing magnesium status is measurement of serum magnesium concentration, even though serum levels have little correlation with total body magnesium levels or concentrations in specific tissues [6]. Other methods for assessing magnesium status include measuring magnesium concentrations in erythrocytes, saliva, and urine; measuring ionized magnesium concentrations in blood, plasma, or serum; and conducting a magnesium-loading (or “tolerance”) test. No single method is considered satisfactory [7]. Some experts [4] but not others [3] consider the tolerance test (in which urinary magnesium is measured after parenteral infusion of a dose of magnesium) to be the best method to assess magnesium status in adults. To comprehensively evaluate magnesium status, both laboratory tests and a clinical assessment might be required [6].

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

THANKYOU Lapis you are a darling! Moral is, what works during taper could bite us with all those nasty consequences you

Listed above,  in the Recovery phase.

My blood mag was low as was spot urine, and still, you can’t tell til you try. Lapis one day hopefully, they might be able to properly test magnesium and WONT THE MEDICALS AMD BIG PHARMA BE IN TROUBLE THEN???  Much common illness is surely due to low mag, UNTESTED in the doctor’s shopfront.

Well in late breaking news, it can be reported that I experimented with one hundredth of a dose yesterday morning (2mg Gl).  OMG it was a disaster! Started recovering about 5pm but That was That. Just goes to show.

Am turning back to start microdosing folinic  acid now. (I have the MTHFR mutation). My RBC folate is low, but again, don’t know til we try.

😝😝😝😝😝

Hi viking,

You're very welcome! I'm sorry to hear that the magnesium you tried didn't have a good outcome. Perhaps it's best to stick with food for now and focus on other things.

I'm not familiar with the MTHFR gene mutation, so I had to look it up. Do you have symptoms from that? Have you ever met with a dietitian to discuss some of your questions? I've got an appt. with a registered dietitian booked for next week to discuss supplementation for bone healing/bone density issues. With all the new research that's constantly going on, it's impossible to know what the latest info says. I'll also get a blood test soon too, but I won't ask for a magnesium test again. It likely won't reflect what's really going on.

Lapis I suspect you are so right that supplementing isn’t going to work for me. Until this withdrawal is totally over (how many years?  :-[ I am unsure folate will be tolerated in even weeny doses.

As for diet here, I have had to exclude eggs and milk in this new recovery phase, and no fruit except nanas are tolerated. . Salicylates in vegetables etc are also toxic....this has all been  by trial and error. Everything else I can eat is clean healthy and even gluten free (not that I know gluten free makes any difference).

Hope it goes well next week for you...have you had a bad result on a densitometey or similar? No wonder you are so interested in magnesium.

MTHFR is a whole new world. Many people (maybe most who are sick?) in the world population have one or two mutations on the gene which converts inactive folic acid (vitamin B9) into active folate. This can have a profound effect on body health. My “naturopath” is in fact a molecular geneticist and neurobiochemistry PhD (also lectures in diet at Uni). I have learnt a lot of biochemistry from her. I had just that one gene tested.

The replacement supplement for people with the gene is called “folinic acid” and is available

Around.

I personally can’t get these things in til the drugs all out and all the preexisting renal “thirst” issue Inh issues I had BEFORE Ben Zoe, are over :-[

When I do take it, all kinds of changes in my problem area (renal) start happening. Am confident that I can be fixed and healthy once my Folate and Bs (and perhaps mag) are in and levelled.

I don’t like proselytising online to people but will say Lapis that most people who do have the folate issue and investigate it (with a “functional”

Doctor or “methylation doctor), achieve good outcomes. An educated practitioner can get the easy gene test done (other genes too if you wanted but 1 was enough for me)....take it from there.

People like me learn that a healthy diet is NoT a guarantee of good health because our unique genetic pattern causes many of us to EXCRETE vitamins minerals traces...tests for these levels are not perfect however can get you half or most of the way or all.

Hope I haven’t “overanswered”.  Am so sorry your own issues continue. Perhaps trial of excluding

Food groups will help!!

Viking  ;)

Hi viking,

Yes, that's all new for me, but I appreciate the info very much. It further reflects how different we all are and how we each must deal with our individual situations. It's another reason to be careful when reading others' posts and worrying that the same things might happen to us.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you've got some good help on your end and that you're figuring out what works and what doesn't. I do hope things improve for you soon.

As for me, I had a low-trauma fracture as a result of my benzo dizziness and a late-night fire alarm where I live. It shouldn't have happened, and yes, it reflects low bone density. I'll have the bone density test next month, but the Xray reflected what was happening. As I was reading about magnesium yesterday, there was another good article about its role in bone health. It obviously has many roles in the body, since it's also an electrolyte.

So, once again I've had to look up something that you wrote! "Nanas"! Is that bananas? Something else in Aussie lingo? I used to call one of my grandmothers "Nana", but I suspect that's NOT what you were referring to. Ah, the fun of international communication!

He he he!! Actually I typed bananas too quickly  and the spellcheck did the rest. Although my kids used to call them naaaanaaaaas !

Yay for spellcheck! One of the Aussie dictionaries I consulted said it's a short form of "Going bananas!", so that works for me. Anyway, enjoy your bananas, viking!  ;D