2nd success story at 12 months - life just gets better

[SS...]

Hello, I want to thank you for recommending Power/Secret. I'm a sceptic about many self-help techniques, but this book has given me my life back. Where I hadn't been envisioning anything but a bleak, empty future, hoping to die soon, I now have a bright, happy future.

Many thanks, Baja

thanks baja - such great news to hear.  they are powerful books if you embrace the message.  i went from being a person who was adamant the glass was half empty to seeing it always as half full after reading these books- no question a positive mindset helps with healing.  with the severity of issues benzo withdrawal causes - its unrealistic to expect an overnight miracle - which is what many expect after reading these books - thankfully i read them long before withdrawal and was able to use what i had previously learned and saw play out over and over again as true.    thanks for sharing the feedback - hopefully others will give it a try too.  so many cancer centers have people reading these.  the body has a better shot at healing when the brain is constantly being flooded with ideas of healing, overcoming, reclaiming life versus doom and gloom....  i never imagined becoming a positive person but i did after reading these books :)

thanks baja - such great news to hear.  they are powerful books if you embrace the message.  i went from being a person who was adamant the glass was half empty to seeing it always as half full after reading these books- no question a positive mindset helps with healing.  with the severity of issues benzo withdrawal causes - its unrealistic to expect an overnight miracle - which is what many expect after reading these books - thankfully i read them long before withdrawal and was able to use what i had previously learned and saw play out over and over again as true.    thanks for sharing the feedback - hopefully others will give it a try too.  so many cancer centers have people reading these.  the body has a better shot at healing when the brain is constantly being flooded with ideas of healing, overcoming, reclaiming life versus doom and gloom....  i never imagined becoming a positive person but i did after reading these books :)

You are a gem and thank you for all your information. It has really helped me and I was doing great until rapid heart beat jumping out my chest the last 2 days. I am still grateful and know that this will pass soon (I hope). In the mean time I am just going to be still because when I even move it feels like it is jumping out my chest. Woke me up 3 times last night.

Blessings

PG

Hello, SSR1975! Thank you very much for the history of recovery and for advice on restoring the nervous system.

What protein mix did you use for weight gain? I need to stop weight loss, but all the protein mixtures I have seen contain sodium caseinate or potassium caseinate, which increases glutamate and is neurotoxic.

Can I use smectite dioctahedral or hydrolytic lignin instead of bentonite clay?

Hi - i use Isagenix  - no question i felt slightly revved the first few shakes i consumed but after that the reactions stopped.  i knew my body needed the nutrition and support so i did my best to push through it .

not sure about the other products -bentonite clay does 2 things - it binds negatively charged "bad" things but it also serves as "puddy" to patch weak areas of the intestines - so it both treats symptoms and heals for the long term.  something like activated charcoal will also soak up the negatively charged stuff but it doesn't have the 2nd benefit of healing the system.  i first took it during my lymes battle and used it again during this.

Welp...Here's to cleaning up my diet again and doing all the good self-care stuff I did for a while during tapering.

Thank you for the inspirations.

This was a really great read, and I appreciate you sharing this with all of us.

I have learned how to reframe my doom and gloom perspectives and trade them for gratitude and it has literally changed my life.

Thank you for speaking your truths in the way you speak them.

They are much appreciated!

Heather Feather

thanks beherenow - outlook / frame of mind is sooooooo important in how this plays out........ i was skeptical but when my first window occurred when i went away and had no access to internet and was surrounded by beauty and support- i realized how much my fear and negativity were influencing my recovery. 

it's certainly not "easy" to flip things around to gratitude but at the end of the day- saying life sucks and this will never end can't possibly be good for anyone......

best wishes to remain determined, disciplined and to beat this - there is an amazing life waiting for you!!!!! be grateful to your body for helping you endure and survive all of what is happening :)

Hi - i use Isagenix  - no question i felt slightly revved the first few shakes i consumed but after that the reactions stopped.  i knew my body needed the nutrition and support so i did my best to push through it .

not sure about the other products -bentonite clay does 2 things - it binds negatively charged "bad" things but it also serves as "puddy" to patch weak areas of the intestines - so it both treats symptoms and heals for the long term.  something like activated charcoal will also soak up the negatively charged stuff but it doesn't have the 2nd benefit of healing the system.  i first took it during my lymes battle and used it again during this.

Thank you very much! Are you taking vitamins now? I am particularly interested in vitamin E. Can I take it for a long time at a dosage of 400 - 800 IU, for example, 1 - 2 years? I read a study in which vitamin E reduces glutamate, inflammation and can act as an antihistamine, membrane stabilizer.

Did you take iron during wd? There are studies on the relationship between low iron levels and akathisia. I have iron deficiency and I don’t know which iron is safe to take.

Thank you.

i do continue to take vitamin E - i'll be 44 later this summer and vitamin E is just good all around and great for anti aging.  based on my 23andme report - i am actually a person who should be taking 800 iu daily so i take 400iu in the morning and 400iu at end of the day- no point in taking it all at once because the body can only process and absorb so much at one time.

i do continue on my vitamin regimen that is customized for my genetics and also focused on anti aging.  people tell me i look amazing - so - clearly they do something.  as i looked absolutely horrible in the throws of this and no one would ever know what i went through based on how i look now.... my boyfriend is 9 yrs younger than me and no one would ever guess there is an age difference....

as i said - there is a huge difference between a vitamin and a "supplement" - in my opinion - vitamins are things that our body needs and usually we get through food but a greatly impaired gut will simply not be able to break down and absorb food when the body is in a state of trauma...... that is just my personal belief and i healed from a severe lymes battle through using vitamins and this..... nothing i took acted on the GABA receptors and i think this is key.    before this nightmare i used to take 100mg of magnesium with each meal - i've tried a single dose twice since recovering and both times it sent me into acute withdrawal for 48-72 hours..... i had also been using progesterone cream for peri menopause and had to stop...... its tough going through perimenopause without this great tool but i'm getting through it.......

i did nutritional and amino acid testing throughout my ordeal and as i added the vitamins that were shown to be deplete - i only got better and better. 

i do continue to take vitamin E - i'll be 44 later this summer and vitamin E is just good all around and great for anti aging.  based on my 23andme report - i am actually a person who should be taking 800 iu daily so i take 400iu in the morning and 400iu at end of the day- no point in taking it all at once because the body can only process and absorb so much at one time.

i do continue on my vitamin regimen that is customized for my genetics and also focused on anti aging.  people tell me i look amazing - so - clearly they do something.  as i looked absolutely horrible in the throws of this and no one would ever know what i went through based on how i look now.... my boyfriend is 9 yrs younger than me and no one would ever guess there is an age difference....

as i said - there is a huge difference between a vitamin and a "supplement" - in my opinion - vitamins are things that our body needs and usually we get through food but a greatly impaired gut will simply not be able to break down and absorb food when the body is in a state of trauma...... that is just my personal belief and i healed from a severe lymes battle through using vitamins and this..... nothing i took acted on the GABA receptors and i think this is key.    before this nightmare i used to take 100mg of magnesium with each meal - i've tried a single dose twice since recovering and both times it sent me into acute withdrawal for 48-72 hours..... i had also been using progesterone cream for peri menopause and had to stop...... its tough going through perimenopause without this great tool but i'm getting through it.......

i did nutritional and amino acid testing throughout my ordeal and as i added the vitamins that were shown to be deplete - i only got better and better.

Thank you so much!  :thumbsup: Was your iron and ferritin normal? My hemoglobin is normal, but ferritin is very very low.

And one more question. How did you start taking vitamins? Tried only one and for some time looked at the reaction? Or did you enter all the vitamins at once?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but your tactics and recovery impressed me.

oh - forgot to respond on the iron - its important to get a full panel because taking iron if you are already high can create a lot of damage to the organs..... since i was having hair loss i had mine checked - my iron levels were about mid range but my ferritin was extremely low so for a while i took a low dose liquid iron - a few times per week - the hair loss was coming from so many different things but it did actually help to take the iron.  i know people who've had their iron swing extremely high in withdrawal despite not even taking an iron supplement - so - its something that should be monitored every few months if you are planning to take an iron supplement.  being low in iron can also cause shortness of breath so taking iron can help with that.  but this is not one for guessing based on symptoms but should have lab work to check.

with my vitamins - i had had my genetics done 8 yrs ago before 23andme and had gone on a vitamin plan based on that - during withdrawal - when i found BenzoBuddies - i stopped taking them because there is so much fear and bad news here about them and no question - i quickly tanked - i stayed off them for a month and did horribly so i added them all back in at once but at half the dose - no question i felt revved the first few days- most of the reactions - i believe - were psychosomaric- if the brain believes there is going to be a bad reaction - there will be.  but i pushed through and by the end of the first week things were fine and i started to get better and better after that. 

i listed out my vitamins in my success story.  vitamin E, zinc, beta carotene - these are all things we get in food .  but "supplements" are often things like herbs which can evoke strong reactions.  do your research to ensure whatever it is isn't acting on GABA - like magnesium will and i may never again be able to take magnesium......  but otherwise - my previous vitamin schedule has been great and many of my vitamins are also designed for healing adrenals - the adrenals take a huge hit during withdrawal.....

best wishes for healing!!!! 

HI SSRI1975

I am still having a hard time sleeping...….so I was put on Bio-Identical Progesterone  150 mg. to help me sleep......I am afraid to take it....but I gave it a try....does not seem to be working and I hate taking anything.....Do you believe this could harm the recovery process?  Thank You. 

HI SSRI1975

I am still having a hard time sleeping...….so I was put on Bio-Identical Progesterone  150 mg. to help me sleep......I am afraid to take it....but I gave it a try....does not seem to be working and I hate taking anything.....Do you believe this could harm the recovery process?  Thank You.

Runnergirl type progesterone in the search box at the top of the page and you will see instances where other buddies used progesterone and the result. Not all of them were good by the way.

PG

i think the progesterone is a case by case basis - in my case - it definitely made things worse - i had cold turkeyed off the benzos. z-drugs , magnesium and progesterone all at once and survived but it was definitely hell for quite a while.  i personally wouldn't add it in......  i tried wild yam at one point once i was recovered - as that naturally boosts progesterone and it sent me into acute withdrawal for 72 hours......  i am peri-menopausal and it really stinks not to have these natural options to help get me through it :( ........    for me - the reaction was that i didn't notice any immediate ill effects when i applied the progesterone - it was a few hours later when the half life was starting to wear off - it would make the anxiety so much worse.......

• 3 weeks later...

Hello SSR1975, I am relatively new to this site. In fact, I do more reading than posting this will be the 2nd time that I actually posted. When I was 20 days cold turkey I posted that I had quit 10 mg of  Valium "Cold Turkey" and I received wonderful "Support" from the benzo-buddie's members who responded. This site has been a life saver for me. I came across your post and it, I believe, was no accident that I read it when I needed the information the most. I do not know if you will get an opportunity to read this, as I am aware that you are no longer active, however, I still feel the need to say "Thank you" for the through and well written posting.

Since reading both of your posting, I am taking all of the supplements that you wrote about. They are making a tremendous difference in the adjusting and resetting of my Gaba receptors in my brain as I can see and feel the difference. Today marks 9 weeks out from my last Valium "Cold turkey".  I still have a way to go, as I am not completely healed yet, as evidenced by my many nights of insomnia and fear. However, in spite of these symptoms, I am grateful for the increased sleep that I do receive, 4 to 5 hours some nights. This is up from 1 to 2 hours that I previously wrote about. Please know that it is articles such as yours that give inspiration and hope. Thank you once again. Roscoe B

I’m new to this as you can see from my signature. So basically I should get some genetic testing done and follow a vitamin regiment tailored to my profile? Is 23andme a good source? Where do I get nutrient testing done? Is this something an MD would test? It all sounds so confusing to figure out on ones own, but who to trust? I saw a Naturopath and he put me on a liver detox of which the herbal tincture is alcohol based.

Hi Roscoe - this is so wonderful to hear!!  so glad the program is taking the edge off and allowing you to feel hope.  as you said - getting through this isn't easy at all but it's possible to find some safe solutions to allow the body to handle it better.  best wishes for your ongoing healing.  the ups/downs/ setbacks/ changes were so frustrating and discouraging at times but keep the faith you are giving your body the tools to succeed :)   

Hi Greek - i wish it was that simple - i think its going to be a good 20-30 yrs before doctors / practitioners really understand genetics enough to provide sound advice - most of what i know - i learned through extensive research.  23andme will provide raw data that you have to upload into a site like genetic genie to get the results  - once you have them - you will just have to research each individual gene.  i have pretty extensive mutations so the vitamins i recommend are probably pretty good for anyone with gene impairments. 

sadly - teh naturopaths / holistic /  functional med docs  - who usually provide more help than traditional docs- may cause more harm than good during this process because most of the tools they recommend are things that are not safe for a brain / body in benzo withdrawal - they simply don't understand things like magnesium, ashwangahnda, holy basil will cause setbacks - anything touching GABA receptors will......

i outlined everything i learned and believe to be safe solutions but many people disagree with me.  no question we are all different from a genetic perspective - so what worked for me may not work for everyone..... in my case - i believe it was the full combination of things that i did that led to complete healing.  i don't think trying one or two alone would necessarily produce the results but would lead to improvements.

best wishes for healing - there is a wonderful life on the other side of this!!!! 

i healed by living life, working, staying engaged with normal things as much as possible  and eating as i always had. no supplements or meletonin helped me sleep a few times. keep busy, ignore as much as you can, distract, get out of bed and take a walk. dont waste $ and time trying to heal yourself. your body knows what to do.

• 1 month later...

SSR - Loved your post!  So, I'm ten months off xanax.  Was doing great until a few weeks ago when I tried testosterone replacement therapy.  I have been doing about 100mg of magnesium every day in order to avoid PVCs.  I'm considering what you said about genetics and micro-nutrients.

If I wanted to get thoroughly tested for Genetic sensitivities and nutritional issues/micro-nutrient deficiencies, what test(s) should I get done?  Where would you suggest I seek these tests?